*** VD 13 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    The show highlights the struggles of the American working class...no healthcare, debt, struggling to work 2 jobs, no time with family...the last episode the guy was working 70 hours a week. He had lost his house because his wife fell on some stairs and the medical bills put them into bankruptcy.....so with that background the CEOs disguise themselves to work with the plebes to apparently discover that their underpaid employees actually struggle !! Like, they had no way of knowing this before...it's just startling new information. Then to address the problem of all their employees being underpaid/owerworked, etc, the give 2 or 3 of the employees thousands of dollars to change their lives. Great ! Tears, hugging, feel good, warm fuzzies, etc. The CEO and selected workers become best friends and fade off into the sunset. Meanwhile the CEO just pretends that these 2 or 3 workers weren't representative of their employees as a whole, who are left with the same problems as before. Probably a bit exaggerated. The first few times I watched the show I thought it was pretty cool. Then at some point I a bit more about it
    The part in bold was one of the things I was thinking about in my original post. I mean what kind of crazy country do you live in where you lose your house if you trip on the stairs ? Be careful out there !
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Cat vs Shark!!

New stray showed up in my yard this weekend. She took exception to the Shark floating chlorinator I have in the pool.

Check out this video! I just captured it with my Ring Camera!
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Nothing to do now but go to spotify and listen to mastodon and radiohead

Still enjoy Man of War. Listened to Smashing Pumpkins 1979 which I also think is exceptional, but for some reason I think Johnny doesn't approve
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          Cat vs Shark!!

New stray showed up in my yard this weekend. She took exception to the Shark floating chlorinator I have in the pool.

https://ring.com/share/612d9785-9a0f...9-f1516c9ad1ca
          that was fun
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Still enjoy Man of War. Listened to Smashing Pumpkins 1979 which I also think is exceptional, but for some reason I think Johnny doesn't approve
            Ramp it up w/ some Mastodon, broseph!

Man of War is an exceelent song. Radiohead has a pretty mixed bag, imo, but that one is top notch. I liked Smashing Punkies' first album Gish but not much after that. Edit: Cherub Rock is a badass song.
            More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Mastodon ranges from mega metal to sensitive prog rock a la King Crimson. Here's one closer to the latter (but since it's long enough, they get all the genres in there).

More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

that was fun
                was that you?

Comment

• Any of you guys know stuff about prospects? Please chime in:

Hey gents, thanks for giving me an assist in the prospects thread. Didn't want to clutter it up all with my personal draft stuff, so I'm posing the question directly to you here. Most of the prospects I was looking at are still available after my selection of Brett Baty. Orelvis Martinez got picked, but still available are:

Oswald Peraza
                  Nick Yorke
                  Michael Harris
                  Brady House
                  Brayan Rocchio
                  Edward Cabrera
                  Miguel Vargas
                  Jose Miranda

I'm leaning toward Vargas (Dodgers homer plus the dude had a huge 2021) or Miranda (huge 2021) or Peraza (five category producer in 2021). What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
                    Any of you guys know stuff about prospects? Please chime in:

Hey gents, thanks for giving me an assist in the prospects thread. Didn't want to clutter it up all with my personal draft stuff, so I'm posing the question directly to you here. Most of the prospects I was looking at are still available after my selection of Brett Baty. Orelvis Martinez got picked, but still available are:

Oswald Peraza
                    Nick Yorke
                    Michael Harris
                    Brady House
                    Brayan Rocchio
                    Edward Cabrera
                    Miguel Vargas
                    Jose Miranda

I'm leaning toward Vargas (Dodgers homer plus the dude had a huge 2021) or Miranda (huge 2021) or Peraza (five category producer in 2021). What do you think?
                    About 2 or 3 weeks too early for me to offer much helpful info. Just looking off lists Yorke may be higher rated than Vargas. Cabrera could contribute this year I think.

Baseball America has Yorke 31, Vargas 40, Harris 46, Peraza 55, Rocchio 66, Cabrera 69. Miranda 90

Not really that much differentiation between 30 and 60 in my opinion. If any of these guys has good SB skills I'd go that route or consider Cabrera if he is closest to contributing. Or other guys if they have a clear path to playing time
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

About 2 or 3 weeks too early for me to offer much helpful info. Just looking off lists Yorke may be higher rated than Vargas. Cabrera could contribute this year I think.

Baseball America has Yorke 31, Vargas 40, Harris 46, Peraza 55, Rocchio 66, Cabrera 69. Miranda 90

Not really that much differentiation between 30 and 60 in my opinion. If any of these guys has good SB skills I'd go that route or consider Cabrera if he is closest to contributing. Or other guys if they have a clear path to playing time
                      Thanks, homie. I should be considering Yorke more. He's further away, hence my hesitation. I'm thinking maybe go Vargas and hope that Miranda makes it back. Cabrera will have to get rostered right away as a major leaguer and the league is shallow enough that I'm worried he'll suck again like last year and I'll have to drop him or he'll be dead weight on my bench.

Comment

• Decided to take Miranda. Wanted Vargas and am now having some buyer's remorse, but that's how it goes with these things. If Vargas or Yorke make it back to me I'm taking one of them when my turn is up again in twelve picks or whatever.

Comment

Thanks, homie. I should be considering Yorke more. He's further away, hence my hesitation. I'm thinking maybe go Vargas and hope that Miranda makes it back. Cabrera will have to get rostered right away as a major leaguer and the league is shallow enough that I'm worried he'll suck again like last year and I'll have to drop him or he'll be dead weight on my bench.
                          Curious why proximity is such a high factor in your drafting

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                            Curious why proximity is such a high factor in your drafting
                            Other than that I believe the variance to be much higher with the younger prospects, it's not that big of a factor for me. Guys closer to the bigs usually have more of a track record, which I do value I guess. With Yorke, he's only 19 and has only played in A ball. Still, he was right up there with the older prospects for this pick. At least part of my valuation is also that I believe I have a team that can win right away and since this is a new league (to me) I don't really know that it'll stick around for four more years or whatever until the teenagers come of MLB age.

Comment

Other than that I believe the variance to be much higher with the younger prospects, it's not that big of a factor for me. Guys closer to the bigs usually have more of a track record, which I do value I guess. With Yorke, he's only 19 and has only played in A ball. Still, he was right up there with the older prospects for this pick. At least part of my valuation is also that I believe I have a team that can win right away and since this is a new league (to me) I don't really know that it'll stick around for four more years or whatever until the teenagers come of MLB age.
                              Is your trade market illiquid? Because if not it seems like your best play is to take the best talent and if you don’t believe in waiting then trade for mlb talent

Comment

• No idea. New league. Also, I just found out that my third round pick had been traded so I don’t get another pick for a long ass time which is kinda bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                                X