OnRoto is great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I agree with the pros and cons of both sites. For us, the idea that some site is going to tell US what our rules are was a total dealbreaker, so we have onRoto. It is ugly, but it gets the job done and cheap. And any minor hiccups indeed have been fixed quickly - our fault or theirs.

I don't think any of our owners has missed an auction or even been late in more than 10 years, so that aspect doesn't help us.
    My league wants cbs because it looks nice and they are used to it. However, NONE of them do what I do behind the scenes and last I looked, cbs STILL does NOT archive free agent bids...which is just totally incredible INSANE.

Comment

Does yahoo still offer "free" leagues, what about ESPN? How are they?
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Having the auction/draft room embedded in the mobile app was a huge plus, but not having the mobile app itself for everyday use would be the dealbreaker. I use my iPad almost exclusively at night now (I can barely remember the days of breaking out my laptop to chill on the recliner), and some sites just don't react well on mobile devices -- for instance, anyone try using baseball-reference.com on a tablet? It's a disaster.
        Well, remember that our YOUNGEST owner is in his late 40s, last year's champ is 71, and the majority of our owners date back to the 1980s (and all since 2002). Cutting edge, we ain't. But fair point.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          Does yahoo still offer "free" leagues, what about ESPN? How are they?
          My league uses the free Yahoo league. It suits our needs. We don't have FAAB.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Yeah, the interface at TQ/OnRoto is embarrassingly terrible and counter-intuitive. That shit doesn't even cost that much to upgrade, either, in terms of programming time/difficulty.

CBS doesn't "tell you what rules to use". That's a non-starter (or, more appropriately, a red herring.) They don't archive FAAB, which I'd be pretty shocked if that was in anyone's league constitution. There are some other oddities that they have been apparently unable to handle since they went to an auction site with an auction room.

There are pros and cons for both, clearly. CBS' interface is miles away superior to that of OnRoto. Their auction room is extremely slick and they haven't had the massive hiccups like what happened with DMT. OnRoto is much more friendly to leagues with gimmick rules or special needs (yep) and has great customer service but has a terrible interface and dubious track record.

I thought the price difference was a lot greater than it is. $10 is just not that much to justify a move to an inferior site. $70 certainly would be.
            Across 12 teams, $70 is a little under $6 per person.

Also, as for FAAB archiving, they preserve them for the current season. I suppose if someone was looking to compile historical data than this would be a problem but the percentage of customers who'd actually do that can't be high (I'd guess less than 1%).
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Yeah, the interface at TQ/OnRoto is embarrassingly terrible and counter-intuitive. That shit doesn't even cost that much to upgrade, either, in terms of programming time/difficulty.

CBS doesn't "tell you what rules to use". That's a non-starter (or, more appropriately, a red herring.) They don't archive FAAB, which I'd be pretty shocked if that was in anyone's league constitution. There are some other oddities that they have been apparently unable to handle since they went to an auction site with an auction room.

There are pros and cons for both, clearly. CBS' interface is miles away superior to that of OnRoto. Their auction room is extremely slick and they haven't had the massive hiccups like what happened with DMT. OnRoto is much more friendly to leagues with gimmick rules or special needs (yep) and has great customer service but has a terrible interface and dubious track record.

I thought the price difference was a lot greater than it is. $10 is just not that much to justify a move to an inferior site. $70 certainly would be.
              The reason our league - ANY league - would need archived bidding is simple: when there are issues regarding the bids, how are you possible going to KNOW who bid what without question?

Also, cbs dictates who wins ties in bidding with a random system (which NO ONE can explain from cbs customer service) - NOT your league standings (which is pretty much standard...lowest team gets the player).

Comment

I checked a couple years ago and Yahoo still did not have a contract field on their roster pages, which is a deal-breaker if you have salaries. I emailed them several years in a row asking that they add it but I gave up after 3 years.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                  The reason our league - ANY league - would need archived bidding is simple: when there are issues regarding the bids, how are you possible going to KNOW who bid what without question?
                  FAAB data is preserved throughout the season. Do such issues arise across seasons?

Also, cbs dictates who wins ties in bidding with a random system (which NO ONE can explain from cbs customer service) - NOT your league standings (which is pretty much standard...lowest team gets the player).
                  The first tiebreaker is indeed the reverse order of the standings, but then after that it resets like a waiver wire. It is odd, but in the past five years there has only been one instance of a team not winning a player for this reason.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    FAAB data is preserved throughout the season. Do such issues arise across seasons?

The first tiebreaker is indeed the reverse order of the standings, but then after that it resets like a waiver wire. It is odd, but in the past five years there has only been one instance of a team not winning a player for this reason.
                    You can see the winning and losing bids on cbs? this is awesome.

Comment

You can see the winning and losing bids on cbs? this is awesome.
                      League/Transactions/Add drops
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        League/Transactions/Add drops
                        you cant see losing bids on any cbs league I am in.

For the record, I tried Shandler's new game this month (took advantage of the free entry) - it uses onRoto, and the interface is horrendous.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          you cant see losing bids on any cbs league I am in.
                          Ah, I misunderstood. No, losing bids are not displayed, but any issues that arise revolving competing bids should be dealt with that week anyways, and the bids are preserved on the roster pages until the following FAAB deadline. So, as ElD noted, screenshots can resolve any issues.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            My league uses the free Yahoo league. It suits our needs. We don't have FAAB.
                            ESPN has FAAB and is free and shows losing bids. It isn't horrible. Its biggest problem is that the live chat is not on the same page as the live standings, which pretty much kills the live chat.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              TQ Stats
                              Bingo. That's the one I was talking about. Given the comments about OnRoto, it must be those guys: great customer service, incredibly customizable, and clunky as all get out.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                                ESPN has FAAB and is free and shows losing bids. It isn't horrible. Its biggest problem is that the live chat is not on the same page as the live standings, which pretty much kills the live chat.
                                So they have added a contract field? If the live chat is the biggest problem, we might be switching next year.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X