Looking To Accumulate Roto Standings Data - Volunteers Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking To Accumulate Roto Standings Data - Volunteers Needed

I'm looking to start accumulating rotisserie league standings data for standard leagues and leagues with non-traditional categories. Razzball accumulates this data from their reader leagues, and it's quite interesting when they break the numbers down and analyze them. But it's limited to only the specific league settings they have in those reader leagues.

It would be nice to have data for leagues of different sizes and for those leagues using non-traditional categories (like OBP, OPS, K/9, QS, Holds, etc.).

To my knowledge, nobody has tried to accumulate and share this information. Does anybody know of such a resource?

If you would be interested in providing your league standings history, please comment below and I'll message you (I assume I can do that, haven't used the private message feature yet). My hope is that you can access historical standings for your league and fill out an Excel template to document the standings in each roto category. I'm guessing it would be a 20-30 minute time commitment for your to figure out how to find the old standings for your leagues and enter the data.

I'll take leagues of any size, AL/NL/Mixed, and any category.

I will summarize the information I receive and share it here.

Well, that went over swimmingly.

Comment

I suspect most of us don't play in leagues with odd categories. Also people are less responsive when a request is made of the group. If I were you, I'd notice when someone posts asking for advice about moves in a league with odd categories and PM them asking for data; I'd also suggest that you might want to do the research yourself on how to retrieve the historical records for the more common sites and put that in the request so people don't feel like they're going into a task without an idea of how long it'll take them.

If you want some really basic 10-team NL-only 5x5, 18-team mixed 5x5 using OBP, or 12-team mixed 5x5 data, I can get it for you.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I can provide some info from some of my leagues. Would take longer than 20-30 mins, but I can do it. I am in some "odd" leagues, if that is of particular importance to you. It's problematic for some of my leagues since we've switched stats services in the recent past. Would have to do those by hand, which would be time-consuming.

It would help if you provided some add'l info:
        - What is the purpose of this? School project? Writing a book? Your blog? Your own personal research?
        - How many years of data do you want?

Comment

I think it might be more realistic to ask people to e-mail scans of their non-standard categories, and let you do the inputting.

Comment

I appreciate the constructive criticism. I did a poor job of explaining and selling the idea.

This could take as little as 5 minutes if someone wanted to provide very targeted information or 20 minutes if you'd be willing to give a couple years of data. I was trying to be conservative so as not to upset anyone. And I would not be looking for anyone to go back and hand calculate things. Simply pull up last years roto standings and key in what each team had in each category.

I mostly want to look into two things:

1. The standings for "odd" categories like OBP, OPS, QS, and Holds. I'm a standings gain point believer, but it's difficult to calculate SGP if you're in a league switching to these categories. That's a large weakness in SGP, in my opinion. So I'm trying to address that by gathering information.
            2. The effect league size has on SGP. What happens to the standings as more teams are added to a league?

I do have a small blog. This is a research project for that. I get a lot of questions about how to calculate SGP for these categories, and I can't help folks because I mostly play in standard leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon1 View Post
              I think it might be more realistic to ask people to e-mail scans of their non-standard categories, and let you do the inputting.
              I like this idea. If anyone wants to just print out their league standings to a PDF, I can do the inputting.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner Bell View Post
                I appreciate the constructive criticism. I did a poor job of explaining and selling the idea.

This could take as little as 5 minutes if someone wanted to provide very targeted information or 20 minutes if you'd be willing to give a couple years of data. I was trying to be conservative so as not to upset anyone. And I would not be looking for anyone to go back and hand calculate things. Simply pull up last years roto standings and key in what each team had in each category.

I mostly want to look into two things:

1. The standings for "odd" categories like OBP, OPS, QS, and Holds. I'm a standings gain point believer, but it's difficult to calculate SGP if you're in a league switching to these categories. That's a large weakness in SGP, in my opinion. So I'm trying to address that by gathering information.
                2. The effect league size has on SGP. What happens to the standings as more teams are added to a league?

I do have a small blog. This is a research project for that. I get a lot of questions about how to calculate SGP for these categories, and I can't help folks because I mostly play in standard leagues.
                My mixed league had 23 teams last year, so it sounds like you'd be interested in that. We also excluded 3 MLB teams, so it's really like an 'only' league as opposed to a mixed league. The effect that more teams should have on SGP I think should depend on whether you use the "slope" method to figure the "standings gain" or not. If you use the "slope" method (use the Excel "Slope" function to plot a line thru the distribution of the values in each roto category), then the value for the "standings gain" will decrease a lot. If you use the method of subtracting the lowest category value from the highest value and dividing it by the # of teams minus 1, then the "standings gain" should still decrease but by a lesser amount. Decreasing the standings gain value will increase the SGP values of the better players and decrease the value of lesser players. I'm using the "Slope" method for the 1st time this year and I dont know whether it will help my valuations or not.

I'm also in another league that is "5x4", i.e. only 4 pitching categories (we excluded WHIP). Dont know if you're interested in that "oddity" or not.

Anyway, what email adr do we send this to? You can PM here if you dont want to make your email public.
                [Edit] I see that you already PM'ed me this info.
                Last edited by rhd; 03-08-2014, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Yes, I'd love that. And again, I can do the dirty work if you just want to send me screenshots of the standings or a PDF printout. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X