Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hot mess that is Jesus Montero

Pretty harsh piece here

NEW YORK -- When the Yankees traded Jesus Montero for Michael Pineda in January 2012, Yankees GM Brian Cashman made a statement that was both audacious and puzzling.

Just another hyped Yankees farmhand, lots of sizzle but no steak--at least so far. The difference between this and the usual Yankees "prospects"-for-contributors deal is twofold--One, the guy the Yankees got hasn't contributed; and Two, the well has gone dry in terms of having more "prospects" to deal.

The article smells of "OK, let's take some heat off the disaster that has been Pineda by pointing out how Montero hasn't set the world on fire".
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Talent evaluators don't hype prospects. Montero was widely considered an impact bat.

Comment

He's only 24. His career isn't over yet.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

The article doesn't read as harsh to me. It portrays things realistically.

Comment

I'm betting that Montero gets traded again before the year is over. Maybe even before the season. While Seattle can still sell high on his potential.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I'm betting that Montero gets traded again before the year is over. Maybe even before the season. While Seattle can still sell high on his potential.
              I think the sell high on potential ship has sailed. He's out of options and that really hurts his cause.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                I think the sell high on potential ship has sailed. He's out of options and that really hurts his cause.
                Yeah, I can't imagine Seattle could get much for him at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  I know his value has dropped. What i meant was, Seattle should be able to get more for him while he is still only 24 years old rather than waiting until he is in his late twenties. There could still be a team out there that sees potential in him.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Apparently showed up out of shape for camp.

@LookoutLanding Dude doesn't get it. RT @TNT_Mariners Montero? Not even close. Already on a weight-loss program. @SeaHawkFORLife look like he is in shape?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      “I gained a lot of weight in my country,” he admitted. “So, now, I'm on a program to lose weight. I'm working really hard to get my weight back. I wasn't doing nothing (after finishing winter ball), just eating.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                        He was in shape. Round is a shape. I speak from experience.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          “I gained a lot of weight in my country,” he admitted. “So, now, I'm on a program to lose weight. I'm working really hard to get my weight back. I wasn't doing nothing (after finishing winter ball), just eating.
                          http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...to-lose-weight
                          Sounds like he has the drive a champion. They better start engraving his plaque in Cooperstown.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            Sounds like he has the drive a champion. They better start engraving his plate in Cooperstown.
                            Fixed

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...to-lose-weight
                              It's bad enough that he's clearly had subpar motivation (putting it kindly), but how dumb does he have to be to say that out loud? Wow.

Comment

Working...
                              X