Masahiro Tanaka to Yankees - 7 years, $155 million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masahiro Tanaka to Yankees - 7 years, $155 million

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees have reached agreement with Masahiro Tanaka on a seven-year, $155 million contract.

Well 1/2 their infield might be Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts but at least they landed a big fish.

Comment

not surprising.

kind of anticlimactic but at least we now can look forward to seeing where Santana & Ubaldo land
      Last edited by TranaGreg; 01-22-2014, 11:08 AM.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

And even without A-Rod, that pushes them past $189m again. So much for all that (nonsensical) talk!

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Dude, they've spent nearly half a BILLION dollars this offseason. "At least" they landed a big fish?
          Nothing satisfies Yankee fans.

Comment

Dude, they've spent nearly half a BILLION dollars this offseason. "At least" they landed a big fish?
            Dude, they've spent nearly half a BILLION dollars and their starting infield includes Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson!

As a fan I am obviously happy but given all the holes they still have I am not optimistic that this leads to the same outcome as the last time they spent half a billion dollars (on AJ, Tex and CC)

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Dude, they've spent nearly half a BILLION dollars and their starting infield includes Brian Roberts and Kelly Johnson!
              My feelings exactly.

Comment

At least their inevitable failure will be that much sweeter now...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by roadtrip68 View Post
                  My feelings exactly.
                  Don't forget Derek Jeter and Tex...who's gone downhill at a breakneck pace.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Go sawx!
                    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Good signing. Lots of questions, but inarguably going in the right direction. I suspect we'll see a late inning reliever and one of Garza or Jimenez brought on before Monday. As Levine said, if they blow $189 they need to blow it big.
                      Last edited by Bob Kohm; 01-22-2014, 11:17 AM.
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I guess, but now they have Beltran, Ellsbury, and Gardner in the outfield instead of Wells, Ichiro, and Gardner. They now have McCann at catcher instead of Chris Stewart. So "at least" they've upgraded four position spots massively and one rotation spot massively. The Yankees have improved an enormous amount in this offseason, at least for 2014.
                        That's only 3 upgraded position spots because Gardner isn't changing this year (so just Beltran, Ellsbury and McCann). Plus they've got the big downgrade from Cano to Roberts. So I would say it's been an improvement overall, but I wouldn't call it an enormous one.

Comment

Don't forget Scott Sizemore!
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Still a bad infield, but the roster is no doubt much better

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              At least their inevitable failure will be that much sweeter now...
                              Did anyone close to Tanaka explain this to him?
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X