What to do with too many outfielders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with too many outfielders?

10-team NL-only, $260. I have a good keeper list and might head into the draft with a boatload of money and only eight spots to fill. The problem is I have too many outfielders I like and may fill up all five of my outfield spots with keepers, limiting me to just one outfielder I could buy on draft day (to put in the utility spot), which would partially negate the advantage of having the extra money. Sure, I can put McCutchen there, but then I can't bid on another outfielder the rest of the day. Seems like a problem.

The obvious solution is to trade one, but is this a big problem or not? Value is value, and if I can get it before the draft, rather than pay inflation prices, isn't it worth it?

Let's say you had five guys with these values (I'm leaving the names out so as not to bias you with opinions on specific players. Though my problem is specific to me, I'm more interested in what to do generally in this situation. Let's just assume that the players are worth the values below):

OF1 - Cost: $21. Value: $15-30. Age: 30. Skills: Power/speed. Solid veteran.
    OF2 - Cost: $10., Value: $15-30. Age: 23. Skills: Power/speed. Hopefully a future star.
    OF3 - Cost: $10. Value: $10-25. Age: 22. Skills: Light power/speed. Hopefully a future star.
    OF4 - Cost: $5. Value: $8-15. Age: 26. Skills: power. Up-and-comer.
    OF5 - Cost: $1. Value: $5-15. Age: 28. Skills: elite speed.

if you take the midpoint of "value" for each, you get $84 of value for just $47, which is pretty good, especially when you consider that these guys can all be kept NEXT year at these prices as well. I just would like opinions on how much this will hamstring me in my 2014 draft.

Thanks!

Well, it seems OF1 may be overvalued, so perhaps you can get him back in the auction for a similar amount, if you really like him. I agree, you may not want to hamstring yourself at the position, so maybe tossing OF1 back makes sense.

Comment

Remember, you don't have to win a trade---a push is fine--especially in the off-season. Is there sonmeone in your league who has an excess of pitching? middle infielders? even catchers? Look to do a balance trade, fair value for fair value.
      Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

My assumption is that OF1 has some injury concerns with his variance in value. I think trying to figure who in the league has a history of liking him and possibly offering him to the those teams could be a solid strategy. My keeper strategy is usually trying to find value and also balancing that with low risk when possible.
        Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

OF3 - Cost: $10. Value: $10-25. Age: 22. Skills: Light power/speed. Hopefully a future star

I am trading this one. I like my OF to have big power or elite speed or good power and good speed. If I have a lot of money and there are good players to bid on, I am clearing a spot.

I would not trade the proven veteran or the two really cheap guys.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. I was already considering trading OF1 - didn't even consider OF3, but that's interesting.

Comment

Working...
            X