Appel vs Rodon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appel vs Rodon

Assuming Houston grabs Rodon with the first pick, who do you like better long-term? I have the #1, 5 and 12 minors pick in my AL only league. Right now Appel seems to be the guy, but I know I could get Rodon with the #5 (possibly with #12). I may prefer to take a bat with the #1 (Odor, Cecchini, Alfaro) and wait on Rodon, although Appel will likely be a better trade chip mid-year.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Rodon has the higher ceiling, from everything that I've read...are those really the best bats available?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Rodon would have been #1 last year if he'd been in the draft.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Rodon has the higher ceiling, from everything that I've read...are those really the best bats available?
        I'm in an AL league like that. Many of the long-term prospects were scooped up the past couple of years, and last season wasn't a big year for prospects making jumps out of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          The higher ceiling guys (Frazier, Swihart) that are further away are there. 12 teams, up to 6 minor keepers per team. I have Addison Russel and Jake Odorizzi as keeps, need to pick one of Cowart, Heathcott, Mason Williams and DJ Davis to go with my 3 #1 picks. I really like Davis, but he may be to far away to be worth the spot. We can only have 6 total after the draft (not 6 plus the picks).

Comment

FWIW (I'm not endorsing or disagreeing), this is what J.J. Cooper said today in his chat about Baseball America's just-released rankings of the top 10 prospects in the Houston organization:

Q: Where would Carlos Rodon fit in this list?
            J.J. Cooper: At this moment, I’d say No. 1. It’s a very good Astros’ Top 10, but Rodon is the best LHP prospect in the game, pro or amateur, and it’s not really close.
            That's in a reference to a top 10 that has
            1. Carlos Correa
            2. George Springer
            3. Mark Appel
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
              Assuming Houston grabs Rodon with the first pick, who do you like better long-term? I have the #1, 5 and 12 minors pick in my AL only league. Right now Appel seems to be the guy, but I know I could get Rodon with the #5 (possibly with #12). I may prefer to take a bat with the #1 (Odor, Cecchini, Alfaro) and wait on Rodon, although Appel will likely be a better trade chip mid-year.
              If it were me, it'd be no contest w Rodon vs. those guys. Rodon definitely wouldnt last until #5 if I were drafting #2-#4.

The harder choice for me would be Rodon vs. Frazier, as I really like Frazier. I'd probably still take Rodon, even tho I have Frazier ranked just above him rt now. That's because Rodon probably will be in MLB at least a year or 2 before Frazier. I dont know your league, but I wouldnt think that Frazier would last until #5 either.
              Last edited by rhd; 01-21-2014, 11:19 PM.

Comment

My league doesn't like to use high picks on guys a few years away, so Frazier will at least make it midway through the first round. First few picks are either high-profile trade chips, or players who can help this year. FWIW, we draft after the season starts and our minors draft is immediately after the auction (live, night draft usually around 1 AM for the minors). With Rodon not on an AL team some guys will be afraid of an injury or him not getting picked by Houston and landing in the NL and being a wasted pick. I would like to grab Rodon, if I leave Appel out there he will go in pick 2,3 or 4. Gonna be a tough decision.

Comment

Working...
                X