Insane keeper question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insane keeper question

14 team...mixed 5x5..23 man roster with 3 man bench..$300 draft day budget.

An owner in my league is considering keeping:

Miggy $67
    Cutch $62
    Kershaw $59

That would be $188 for those three. Would you do that?

His roster is:

C - A.J. Pierzynski $3
    1B - Justin Morneau $12
    2B - Ryan Raburn $1
    3B - Miguel Cabrera $67 *
    SS - Yunel Escobar $1
    OF - Adam Jones $28 * *
    OF - Shane Victorino $23
    OF - Andrew McCutchen $62
    OF - Daniel Nava $1
    OF - Eric Young $1
    OF - Rajai Davis $1
    OF - Colby Rasmus $1
    SP - Clayton Kershaw $59
    SP - Chris Tillman $1
    SP-RP - Erik Bedard $1
    SP - Henderson Álvarez $1
    SP-RP - Guillermo Moscoso $1
    RP - Jim Johnson $10 *
    RP - Jimmy Nelson $1
    RP - Glen Perkins $17
    SP - Jorge De La Rosa $1
    SP - Charlie Morton $1
    SP - Ricky Nolasco $1
    SP-RP - Carlos Torres $1
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

My honest opinion will piss some people, but I am not sure how else to say it.

Its a 14 tm mixed with shallow bench. The pool will be crazy deep after auction to backfill with ok everyday guys. He is keeping 3 top 10 overall in all of baseball guys imo. If this was a 12 tm single league with deep bench for instance, you move away from extreme stars and scrubs because the waiver wire is a wasteland. But in this setting, I like the move.

Comment

I would at least consider it. Look at his roster now. I assume all of those $1 players were either bought for $1 last year or picked up midseason. If you're good at the waiver wire and FAAB, in a shallow league like this, it's worth seeing if you can fill in your team gradually over the course of the season. And if it doesn't work, it's a hell of a lot easier to trade Miggy than it is to trade three $25 guys.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
        I would at least consider it. Look at his roster now. I assume all of those $1 players were either bought for $1 last year or picked up midseason. If you're good at the waiver wire and FAAB, in a shallow league like this, it's worth seeing if you can fill in your team gradually over the course of the season. And if it doesn't work, it's a hell of a lot easier to trade Miggy than it is to trade three $25 guys.
        You are correct about the $1 players. And also that he will have to be good at the waiver wire. You can see what his team looked like in 2013 with this roster..6th place finish..so he will need to draft and hit the waiver wire much much better if he wants to win..or at least finish in the money (top 4).
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I made his decision moot. I traded anibal $16...Werth $15 and Segura $1 for Miggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            I made his decision moot. I traded anibal $16...Werth $15 and Segura $1 for Miggy.
            Maybe he was bluffing to get you to fork over your good keepers.

Seriously though, you probably sold high on Anibal and Werth. He should have gotten your $3 Ubaldo and/or $6 Craig. Miggy is the best, but 22% of budget (67/300) is a lot for one player.

As for the original question, i would have thrown them all back or traded one. Doubt they would go much higher at the draft.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

Seriously though, you probably sold high on Anibal and Werth. He should have gotten your $3 Ubaldo and/or $6 Craig. Miggy is the best, but 22% of budget (67/300) is a lot for one player.

As for the original question, i would have thrown them all back or traded one. Doubt they would go much higher at the draft.
              I think ubaldo is too risky in a deal for Miggy. And i wasnt dealing Craig.

$67 is indeed high..but when one has an $11 Trout that evens things out a bit

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

The write up on Sanchez in USA Today mag begs to differ on selling high

Comment

Mith - what does that put your keepers at? Seemed steep to me, but not terrible, for Miggy. And if you have a pile of other quality keepers, it makes sense to get the most fantasy relevant player after Trout.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think ubaldo is too risky in a deal for Miggy. And i wasnt dealing Craig.

$67 is indeed high..but when one has an $11 Trout that evens things out a bit
                    Why would you want the best two players in baseball when it's all just luck anyways?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Mith - what does that put your keepers at? Seemed steep to me, but not terrible, for Miggy. And if you have a pile of other quality keepers, it makes sense to get the most fantasy relevant player after Trout.
                      Miggy $67
                      Trout $11
                      Craig $6
                      Rios $9
                      Freeman $20
                      Bumgarner $17
                      Cishek $1 ( i like him for a buck)
                      Last keeper can be Ubaldo at $3 or Venable at $1 or Frieri at $6 or if i really want to lock up another star Pedroia at $37

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Why would you want the best two players in baseball when it's all just luck anyways?
                        Cause i'm lucky!!

Comment

Miggy $67
                          Trout $11
                          Craig $6
                          Rios $9
                          Freeman $20
                          Bumgarner $17
                          Cishek $1 ( i like him for a buck)
                          Last keeper can be Ubaldo at $3 or Venable at $1 or Frieri at $6 or if i really want to lock up another star Pedroia at $37
                          Nice. I'd keep Pedroia.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Nice. I'd keep Pedroia.
                            Cishek is $6 not $1...still might keep him as he was dominant after April.

Comment

The write up on Sanchez in USA Today mag begs to differ on selling high
                              I just think you got about $25 in trade value for him while he is probably around a $17 value.

I'm also thinking that Sanchez' ratios will regress this year while he maintains the wins and k's. If that happens his numbers will resemble Ubaldo 2013 making the two of them very close in value this year if Ubaldo can repeat last years performance.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X