trade hdid, and extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade hdid, and extensions

note that I made this trade with an Award-Nominated Fantasy Baseball Expert so I get a little nervous that I did something dumb, even when I proposed the deal and he accepted it without further negotiation.

10-team NL-only 5x5. I traded away Haren ($11/yr 2) and Craig ($15/final year) for Alvarez ($4/option year, not sure if I'm going to raise to 9 or 14). Given that my other keepers include Goldschmidt, Freeman, Carpenter, Werth, and probably Molina, I figured I could afford the BA hit and I already have 1B and CI locked up.

also how much would you extend these guys?
    Goldschmidt $5
    Carpenter $5
    AJ Burnett $2
    Cishek $5
    Grilli $5

My first inclination is to not extend Cishek, maybe give Burnett and Grilli one more year but not sure about Grilli, and I have no idea on the hitters. Carpenter one year, Goldschmidt two or three?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Originally posted by mjl View Post
    note that I made this trade with an Award-Nominated Fantasy Baseball Expert so I get a little nervous that I did something dumb, even when I proposed the deal and he accepted it without further negotiation.

10-team NL-only 5x5. I traded away Haren ($11/yr 2) and Craig ($15/final year) for Alvarez ($4/option year, not sure if I'm going to raise to 9 or 14). Given that my other keepers include Goldschmidt, Freeman, Carpenter, Werth, and probably Molina, I figured I could afford the BA hit and I already have 1B and CI locked up.

Goldschmidt $5
    Carpenter $5
    AJ Burnett $2
    Cishek $5
    Grilli $5

My first inclination is to not extend Cishek, maybe give Burnett and Grilli one more year but not sure about Grilli, and I have no idea on the hitters. Carpenter one year, Goldschmidt two or three?
    Wait, how did he get Alvarez? I thought I had him! Oh, that's right, he bent me over a table and stole him from me when I was under the misguided impression that I could compete last year.

Comment

No extension - Cishek, Grilling, Burnett
      One Year - Carpenter, Alvarez
      Two years - Goldschmidt

With your keepers, I'd have kept Craig and Haren at those prices. But Alvarez at 9 for two years isn't bad at all.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I have others. My complete keeper list:

C: Molina ($25/yr 2)
        C: Ramos ($8/yr 2)
        1B: Goldschmidt ($5/option)
        2B: Carpenter ($5/option)
        3B: Sandoval ($20/yr 2)
        CI: Freeman ($16/yr 4 of 6)
        OF: Blanco ($4/yr 2)
        OF: Werth ($18/yr 2)
        OF: Ruf ($5/yr 2)
        OF: Lake ($5/yr 1)
        UT: Alvarez ($4/option)

P: Burnett ($2/option), Cishek ($5/option), Grilli ($5/option), Harvey ($10/yr 2), Ryu ($9/yr 2), WRodriguez ($12/option)

ML: Owings ($5), Alcantara ($5), WFlores ($5)

actually I have to cut four of the major leaguers, so opinions welcomed on that as well, but that's why I was doing a 2 for 1 trade. Probably cutting Panda, Blanco, Ruf, and Wandy, but I think a couple of those guys have some value.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

Goldschmidt $5
          Carpenter $5
          AJ Burnett $2
          Cishek $5
          Grilli $5

I'm very phobic about extensions, mostly because they don't seem to work very well for me. Keep that in mind as I recommend--

Goldschmidt--two years
          Grilli--no extension. You can make a case for maybe one year.
          Burnett--no extension, may call it quits now, may only go one more year, so why pay extra?
          Carpenter--no extension, take whatever profit is there at $5.
          Cishek--no extension, take the profit.
          Alvarez--one year, makes a nice trade chip at $9 whether you're going for it or dumping.

Consider the source, too.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

I did it because I had room to add salary, love Craig, and am banking on a bounceback year for Haren. The 1st halves each of the past two for Haren do scare me a bit.

Comment

I think the trade is very even, you could argue either side.
              I'm also a little hesitant to extend too many players too long but I'd lean towards:
              No extension - Cishek, Grilling, Burnett
              One Year - Carpenter, Alvarez
              Two years - Goldschmidt

Comment

Working...
              X