Will MLB expand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
    North Carolina is the largest state (by population) without an MLB team. (per wikipedia - u.s. census 2012 July 1 estimate)

8 Georgia 9,919,945
    9 Michigan 9,883,360
    10 North Carolina 9,752,073
    11 New Jersey 8,864,590
    12 Virginia 8,185,867
    13 Washington 6,897,012
    14 Massachusetts 6,646,144
    15 Arizona 6,553,255
    16 Indiana 6,537,334
    17 Tennessee 6,456,243
    18 Missouri 6,021,988
    wow, the SF Bay Area has 7.1M people just by itself, and the LA area has more....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
      http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...=.jsp&sid=t459

Minor League Team Attendance Over 8,000 Per Game (none were over 10,000)
      1) Columbus
      2) Lehigh Valley
      3) Indianapolis
      4) Sacramento
      5) Dayton (A-ball)
      6) Buffalo
      7) Louisville
      8) Round Rock

7 of the 8 (all but Indianapolis) are geographically close to their major league teams, which could explain some of the support.

Combined with the population numbers Controller Jacobs cited, along with the fact that they support an NFL and NBA team, Indianapolis would seem to be a logical choice for expansion domestically. But I remain skeptical that MLB will expand.
      Downtown Cincinnati to downtown Indianapolis is just under two hours, so you can see where the Reds would have a fit about expansion there. Indy did have the Reds' AAA team at one time, but during the Schott era, the Indy owners got tired of Marge's BS and penury and broke free.

Columbus, which currently has the Indians' AAA team, is also just under two hours from downtown Cincinnati, and it's about two and a quarter to two and a half hours from Cleveland. The city is pretty much the border between Reds and Indians fans. You can see where neither of those franchises would welcome an expansion team there.

Louisville has the Reds' AAA team and, once again, is right around two hours from Cincinnati. The Reds would scream bloody murder if a team wound up there.

Dayton is barely an hour from Cincinnati, is solid Reds territory, and doesn't have the metro population to support a team. In over 40 years in Cincinnati, I've never heard any call for a major league team there.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        Why do you think I'm contemplating a move to Charlotte in 2014?
        Great city. Lived there for almost four years in the early 2000s, and still have a number of friends in the area. Only bad thing about it is if you're still travelling a lot - the airport is one of the most poorly run airports in the US. If you start to get serious about it, pop me a PM. I'll pass on what I can to help you out.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The 51's are moving from downtown to Summerlin in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            The 51's are moving from downtown to Summerlin in 2015.
            That will help in terms of being a more successful AAA franchise, given that Summerlin is a comparatively safe and well-off area. Are they building the park with "expandability" in mind? Maybe 18-20,000, with room to build up to 40,000?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              That will help in terms of being a more successful AAA franchise, given that Summerlin is a comparatively safe and well-off area. Are they building the park with "expandability" in mind? Maybe 18-20,000, with room to build up to 40,000?
              Hmmm, the latest I see on a new stadium in Summerlin seems to still be in the proposal/planning phase and not a done deal yet. To answer your questions, DQ, according to this article, looks like the stadium plan is to only hold 9,000 (which is about what Cashman Field currently holds) with no mention of an expansion plan.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal is Nevada's most trusted source for local news, Las Vegas sports, business news, gaming news, entertainment news and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                Hmmm, the latest I see on a new stadium in Summerlin seems to still be in the proposal/planning phase and not a done deal yet. To answer your questions, DQ, according to this article, looks like the stadium plan is to only hold 9,000 (which is about what Cashman Field currently holds) with no mention of an expansion plan.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/...park-summerlin
                I took the information from Billhere newsletter http://www.lvopenings.com/click-here...s-newsletters/. It was presented there as a done deal but I suspect that the information cited in the review journal is more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Friarfan View Post

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/...park-summerlin
                  Between the low capacity, the lack of stadium expansion capability, and the suburban location, they're clearly not looking at attracting a major league team.

-- William James

Comment

Maury Brown put his finger on the main obstacle to expansion in this article from a few years ago:
                    Ask most people, and they’ll agree: moving sucks. Well, maybe we should preface that by saying, moving sucks, unless you’re moving into shiny new digs. At least the pains of relocating – the cost…

Expansion, for all intents and purposes, is off the menu for MLB these days. With record revenues the pressure to do so is non-existent, and besides, why slice up the revenue pie or conceivably add other revenue-sharing mouths to feed?

In terms of relocation, the difficulties have increased with the advent of regional sports networks (RSNs).

In the early ‘90s you could count on the Cubs and Braves as being seen out of the local market on a regional and national level. There was no YES or NESN or MLB Extra Innings. And FOX Sports Net was just starting its march across the country with a fleet of RSNs. The addition of RSNs has created a hodgepodge of television territories, some of which overlap, and are guarded like a first-born child.
                    Any expansion city would be heavily opposed by the team(s) whose RSN territory they would be taking away. That's a huge obstacle. Just look at how much trouble the A's are having with the Giants in moving to San Jose.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Which is why Montreal is viewed as an easy expansion market because there are no territorial rights to fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X