Tanaka to be posted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I think you're confusing Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa. Igawa was a complete bust. Irabu had a pretty rough time of it, too, but actually put up a decent season or two with the Yankees before finishing up with the Expos and Rangers.
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what DQ said...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I'm pretty sure that's exactly what DQ said...
      Ah, now I see it.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Ah, now I see it.
        I know what I was trying to say, but sometimes I word things in unnecessarily complicated ways.

One thing that seems to happen with Japanese players is that they are "all or nothing" in terms of media coverage. Either they're touted as the best thing since canned beer, or they're unknown to 99 44/100% of American fans.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          I know what I was trying to say, but sometimes I word things in unnecessarily complicated ways.

One thing that seems to happen with Japanese players is that they are "all or nothing" in terms of media coverage. Either they're touted as the best thing since canned beer, or they're unknown to 99 44/100% of American fans.
          I feel certain we could have followed if you had said 99.44%.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I feel certain we could have followed if you had said 99.44%.

J
            It's a Cincinnati thing, unrelated to baseball.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (via Twitter) that the Dodgers have made it known that they will go "all out" to sign the Japanese ace and "certainly won't be outbid."

Sweet. Give the kid a billion! Two billion! Let him run the Padres! Whatever he wants!
              ...and then the updated story...

"Meanwhile, Nightengale softens his stance in a pair of new tweets, noting that the Dodgers confirmed their interest but don't want to spend "wildly" or do anything crazy with their bid in order to land Tanaka."
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                ...and then the updated story...

"Meanwhile, Nightengale softens his stance in a pair of new tweets, noting that the Dodgers confirmed their interest but don't want to spend "wildly" or do anything crazy with their bid in order to land Tanaka."
                Sounds like a local weatherman, predicting all the possibilities so that he's never wrong.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Good God man, all of those guys are bigger question marks than Tanaka...Garza has injury concerns, Ubaldo had a nice 2nd half, preceded by about 3 craptacular years, and Ervin is a yoyo. Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of them over Tanaka despite the price tag. I think that Japanese pitchers have proven themselves over the past decade to be pretty solid in coming to the states...from the old relievers to the young starters, not too many busts in there. If he's Dan Haren in his prime, as is Bowden's comp...I'd be thrilled to have him on a team.
                  I'd rather have a known quantity of a #3 type starter (with all the mercuriality that goes with it, the ups and the downs) who gets paid like a #2/3 than a guy who could be a #2 or #3 starter who gets paid like an ace. I think Garza and Jimenez are the smart buys at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports (via Twitter) that the Dodgers have made it known that they will go "all out" to sign the Japanese ace and "certainly won't be outbid."

Sweet. Give the kid a billion! Two billion! Let him run the Padres! Whatever he wants!
                    Run the Padres? Are you trying to lose him?
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      Sounds like a local weatherman, predicting all the possibilities so that he's never wrong.
                      Here's the issues with all of the writers, none of them have a good pipeline to the Tanaka camp, and they're getting spoon fed just what their particular sources want them to print. Reading Rotoworld is hilarious right now...Tanaka only wants a major market, the Dodgers are out, the dodgers are willing to bid the moon, the Yankees are the frontrunners, the D-Backs are out, the D-Backs are the most aggressive, money is all important, money isn't important...and on, and on, and on...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                      X