X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew Stubbs Traded to Rockies

no word on the return yet....

for Josh Outman.

The Rockies then traded Jonathan Herrera to Boston for Franklin Morales. So they swapped out a lefty RP for a better one and traded Hererra for Stubbs. And presumably took on a decent amount of salary in the process.

Comment

The spell is broken at last! I've never been able to fathom why the Rockies felt compelled to burn a roster spot on Jonathan Herrera every year. It's pretty funny that another MLB team would actually trade for him, but hey, if The Red Sox need a replacement level utility guy and have a backlog of LOOGYs to clear, whatevs, fare thee well, Jonny - take your "wonderful clubhouse guy" magic to where it is needed most.

Not sure what I think about the Stubbs move. Our outfield is getting miiiiighty crowded...
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Stubbs is going to be overexposed vs RH if he gets too much PT. He's awful vs RH but he's too expensive to be used as a platoon player.

Comment

Stubbs is a good (not great) defensive CF. He's a different kind of CF as a hitter--lots of speed, lots of power, constant contact issues, won't change his approach. If the Rockies are smart, they won't put him anywhere near the top of the lineup when he plays.

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a combination of speed and strikeouts. He'll put up lots of counting stats and kill your BA/OBP.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Stubbs is a good (not great) defensive CF. He's a different kind of CF as a hitter--lots of speed, lots of power, constant contact issues, won't change his approach. If the Rockies are smart, they won't put him anywhere near the top of the lineup when he plays.

I'm not sure I've ever seen such a combination of speed and strikeouts. He'll put up lots of counting stats and kill your BA/OBP.
            In Coors at least his BA gets some support.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              In Coors at least his BA gets some support.

J
              I'm not sure how Coors can help his 67% contact rate.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Stubbs is a platoon outfielder at this point, but hey, that's okay. Sometimes that's all a team wants or needs (and that's definitely all he should be used as). I had hoped the M's would trade for him instead of signing Franklin Gutierrez as they needed some solid defense and a right-handed bat.

Comment

For fantasy NL-only purposes, a 29 year-old Rockies OF with pop and speed is intriguing. But I was surprised to see his meager SB total from last year.

AB-HR-SB

2011: 604-15-40 (Cin)
                  2012: 493-14-30 (Cin)
                  2013: 430-10-17 (Cle)

2014: 350-12-18?

Comment

Limiting his exposure to RHP will help his batting average more than anything. He's awful vs them as he still can't cover the outer corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      Limiting his exposure to RHP will help his batting average more than anything. He's awful vs them as he still can't cover the outer corner.
                      I'd take a chance on him as my O5 in a deep league. Otherwise, in the words of Monty Python's "Australian Table Wines" sketch,

"This is a bottle with a message in it, and the message is, 'Beware'. This is not a bottle for drinking, it is a bottle for laying down and avoiding."

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                      X