2K24: Atlanta Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Better question is, why don't small market teams adopt this strategy of signing their young, homegrown stars to long-term deals, so they don't flee at first opportunity?
    Tampa Bay does.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I think you'd want the Braves group in both cases, no?
      I agree
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      ---------------------------------------------
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Tampa Bay does.
        That they do. Maybe Baltimore, Miami, Detroit, KC & Oakland should follow suit.

Comment

That they do. Maybe Baltimore, Miami, Detroit, KC & Oakland should follow suit.
          I wonder if risk aversion is a significant part of it. Jon Singleton is the nightmare of that scenario right? If you can't stomach eating a Jon Singleton mistake, then maybe you are less likely to give out the long term contract to a young player.

And also ownership has to trust baseball operations / internal scouting. You don't give those contracts to everyone - you need to correctly identify the players who you should lock up and the ones you should not. Even Scott Kingery's $24m contract was a mistake because he wasn't the player the Phillies thought he was.

Comment

• True but easier to do in Atlanta. Players want to be near home and play for a team they liked growing up. It’s a competitive advantage like Steve Cohen’s money, only it isn’t taxed that way by mlb.

Comment

I wonder if risk aversion is a significant part of it. Jon Singleton is the nightmare of that scenario right? If you can't stomach eating a Jon Singleton mistake, then maybe you are less likely to give out the long term contract to a young player.

And also ownership has to trust baseball operations / internal scouting. You don't give those contracts to everyone - you need to correctly identify the players who you should lock up and the ones you should not. Even Scott Kingery's $24m contract was a mistake because he wasn't the player the Phillies thought he was.
              All true. And true that the hallmark of these small market franchises are the albatrosses they can’t afford to have. But while Singleton was a mistake, it was just $10m. Kingery was a mistake, but just $24m. Wouldn’t you take $35m in mistakes to lock up a superstar for 8 years? I would.

Comment

All true. And true that the hallmark of these small market franchises are the albatrosses they can’t afford to have. But while Singleton was a mistake, it was just $10m. Kingery was a mistake, but just $24m. Wouldn’t you take $35m in mistakes to lock up a superstar for 8 years? I would.
                Yes, yes I would as well.

Comment

• Ozuna arrested on DUI charge. His career could be over. The Braves likely will suspend him or waive him.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Ozuna arrested on DUI charge. His career could be over. The Braves likely will suspend him or waive him.
                    Should have already been over.

Comment

One would think so but the Braves gave him a 2nd chance and he burn that bridge too.

Comment

The Braves still have to pay Ozuna $18/18/1 (buyout) million over the next 3 years. If not for that, Ozuna probably would have been DFA. Maybe they can trade him to the Cubs for Heyward lol.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          The Braves still have to pay Ozuna $18/18/1 (buyout) million over the next 3 years. If not for that, Ozuna probably would have been DFA. Maybe they can trade him to the Cubs for Heyward lol.
                          Can Ozuna's contract be voided for his DUI on top of his other crap? I know contracts can be tricky in this regard.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                            Ozuna arrested on DUI charge. His career could be over. The Braves likely will suspend him or waive him.
                            Ozuna back in the Braves lineup today.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Ozuna back in the Braves lineup today.
                              I'm surprised he is.

Comment

• Kyle Wright w a gem today. 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 8 K and his 16th W to tie Verlander and Gonsolin for the MLB lead. A lot of good pitching in MLB this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X