2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post

My rule in all the keeper leagues I commish (baseball & football) is you can always toss someone back after the keeper deadline, but you can't replace him.
    Do you have any problems with people gaming this? Such as protecting a couple of high profile guys they had no intention of keeping just to throw off other's planning?

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

Do you have any problems with people gaming this? Such as protecting a couple of high profile guys they had no intention of keeping just to throw off other's planning?
      We did. We used to be more lenient on this but there was one owner that several years in a row would walk into draft day and start going over the injuries of his players and then decide who he wanted to keep. And we are not talking about injuries like Altuve getting hurt after keepers are due. We are talking about people with existing injuries. He would say that he needed more time to decide. As if he didn't understand the concept of a deadline. So now, because he abused the system, you can only drop a player if they are out for the year. I do like the idea of dropping a player with a $2 penalty. I might suggest that.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post

My rule in all the keeper leagues I commish (baseball & football) is you can always toss someone back after the keeper deadline, but you can't replace him.
        This is exactly what we do--you can drop a guy but not replace him. We have not had an abuse of the rule yet, but our Altuve owners have not dropped him yet, and may wait it out to decide. His price is close, but probably warrants the toss back with the injury. The only reason he is on the fence, is he has to be at a wedding on Auction day, and had planned his trades and keepers around being broke for the auction. He will jump on for a few minutes, land a guy or two, and autodraft. Throwing back Altuve would free up a lot of money for him that he'd have to rely on autdraft to spend, so he may just end up keeping Altuve. It wouldn't be a huge deal--Altuve would probably go for about as much as his price given the state of 2b in the auction. The injury just turned Altuve into a clear profit keeper into a price certainty keeper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

This is exactly what we do--you can drop a guy but not replace him. We have not had an abuse of the rule yet, but our Altuve owners have not dropped him yet, and may wait it out to decide. His price is close, but probably warrants the toss back with the injury. The only reason he is on the fence, is he has to be at a wedding on Auction day, and had planned his trades and keepers around being broke for the auction. He will jump on for a few minutes, land a guy or two, and autodraft. Throwing back Altuve would free up a lot of money for him that he'd have to rely on autdraft to spend, so he may just end up keeping Altuve. It wouldn't be a huge deal--Altuve would probably go for about as much as his price given the state of 2b in the auction. The injury just turned Altuve into a clear profit keeper into a price certainty keeper.
          He cut Altuve. I think it was the right call....Altuve might be rusty or diminished when he gets back.

Comment

This is exactly what we do--you can drop a guy but not replace him. We have not had an abuse of the rule yet, but our Altuve owners have not dropped him yet, and may wait it out to decide. His price is close, but probably warrants the toss back with the injury. The only reason he is on the fence, is he has to be at a wedding on Auction agday, and had planned his trades and keepers around being broke for the auction. He will jump on for a few minutes, land a guy or two, and autodraft. Throwing back Altuve would free up a lot of money for him that he'd have to rely on autdraft to spend, so he may just end up keeping Altuve. It wouldn't be a huge deal--Altuve would probably go for about as much as his price given the state of 2b in the auction. The injury just turned Altuve into a clear profit keeper into a price certainty keeper.
            The impact of weddings and autodraft settings is a topic that doesn't get enough attention, imo. This is where older owners have an advantage, since after they turn 35 or so there are no weddings to consider for at least a decade. The smart play is to not have any kids, since then you won't ever have to deal with wedding invites for your own kids, or your friend's kids, in the 45-60 age timeframe. Some might say the joy of having a family outweighs the fantasy baseball impact...I think that's worth discussing further. Plus the expense of having kids may limit your ability to participate in high stakes leagues. Clearly lots to consider.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

The impact of weddings and autodraft settings is a topic that doesn't get enough attention, imo. This is where older owners have an advantage, since after they turn 35 or so there are no weddings to consider for at least a decade. The smart play is to not have any kids, since then you won't ever have to deal with wedding invites for your own kids, or your friend's kids, in the 45-60 age timeframe. Some might say the joy of having a family outweighs the fantasy baseball impact...I think that's worth discussing further. Plus the expense of having kids may limit your ability to participate in high stakes leagues. Clearly lots to consider.
              ok this probably should have been your kid's friends...or maybe your kid's friends parents...honestly just limit all social contact, become a hermit and devote yourself to fantasy baseball.
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

He cut Altuve. I think it was the right call....Altuve might be rusty or diminished when he gets back.
                So what are peeps expecting/bidding for Altuve this year. Expect about 2/3 of a year, but bid on half a year production due to injury ?
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So what are peeps expecting/bidding for Altuve this year. Expect about 2/3 of a year, but bid on half a year production due to injury ?
                  It depends, do you think he has many friends with weddings?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

It depends, do you think he has many friends with weddings?
                    well that's what I am asking you ...and all the other exceelent experts here at RJ. EDIT: you can lead a horse to water....
                    Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-21-2023, 04:50 PM.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

well that's what I am asking you ...and all the other exceelent experts here at RJ. EDIT: you can lead a horse to water....
                      I'm not really that into horse weddings though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

I'm not really that into horse weddings though.
                        cow weddings ?
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Your ranges were close, but this fellow is 61 and his daughter is getting married, so he best not get caught messing around on his phone, but I suspect he still will, at least for a bit.

In somewhat related news, I told my wife my auction is this Sunday and she asked me why it is so long, as always. I only do the one league now, and I told her everyone else in my league does 6+. She doesn't believe me when I tell her many of them are still married.

Comment

Your ranges were close, but this fellow is 61 and his daughter is getting married, so he best not get caught messing around on his phone, but I suspect he still will, at least for a bit.

In somewhat related news, I told my wife my auction is this Sunday and she asked me why it is so long, as always. I only do the one league now, and I told her everyone else in my league does 6+. She doesn't believe me when I tell her many of them are still married.
                            I

lol...yeah 1 draft for me is enough. I sort of hope that i have a daughter getting married to screw up my draft at some point...but not too soon
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

lol...yeah 1 draft for me is enough. I sort of hope that i have a daughter getting married to screw up my draft at some point...but not too soon
                              To further muddy the ethical waters, I think we can all agree, doing fantasy baseball stuff during your daughter's first wedding is a no-no, but I believe this is his daughter's second. So, a little fantasy phone action--is it okay for a kid's second wedding, yea, or nay pen?

Nice to see a fellow league minimalist! think me doing less leagues gives me an edge. I've won this league over 25% of the time--8 titles in 28 years. I've only ever done a second league six times times, and I won three of them (all mixed leagues between 12-16 teams).

My theory is I just put more time into it, because I only do the one or a second at most. A lot of my league mates think doing more does not dilute the experience and gives them a chance to roster just about everyone they want to. I know a lot of folks here do many leagues and I guess if you have the time to manage them, you can pull it off, but I'm pretty sure if I did more leagues, I'd win at a much lower percentage. This main league just means more to me than most of the other owners who are in so many other leagues, many with bigger payouts (this league started at $20 when we started senior year in high school and is now up to $200, and we spread the winnings between the top 6 teams out of 14). Maybe I should start a thread to see how many leagues folks play in and their success in them.

Comment

To further muddy the ethical waters, I think we can all agree, doing fantasy baseball stuff during your daughter's first wedding is a no-no, but I believe this is his daughter's second. So, a little fantasy phone action--is it okay for a kid's second wedding, yea, or nay pen?

Nice to see a fellow league minimalist! think me doing less leagues gives me an edge. I've won this league over 25% of the time--8 titles in 28 years. I've only ever done a second league six times times, and I won three of them (all mixed leagues between 12-16 teams).

My theory is I just put more time into it, because I only do the one or a second at most. A lot of my league mates think doing more does not dilute the experience and gives them a chance to roster just about everyone they want to. I know a lot of folks here do many leagues and I guess if you have the time to manage them, you can pull it off, but I'm pretty sure if I did more leagues, I'd win at a much lower percentage. This main league just means more to me than most of the other owners who are in so many other leagues, many with bigger payouts (this league started at $20 when we started senior year in high school and is now up to $200, and we spread the winnings between the top 6 teams out of 14). Maybe I should start a thread to see how many leagues folks play in and their success in them.
                                crap, I had a long response to this that i screwed up and it got deleted....anyway, I like playing one league and being invested in that team win or lose
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X