2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by virgonomic View Post

I rarely draft closers early (or spend big bucks at auction) because the position is so volatile. This was never as evident as last year when around half the Opening Day closers lost their jobs. There will be myriad replacement closers during the season - the key is to follow player news (RJ is great for that) and pounce when the opportunities arise (or stash prospective save candidates).
    Depends on the league setup of course. In my draft and hold you don't have the luxury of replacing in year.

Comment

• Is it going to be Robertson or Ottavino? Roster Resource had Ottavino as the 8th inning guy and Robertson as the 7th. But they've not put Robertson in as the closer and kept Ottavino as the 8th inning guy. what say the pen? I have Ottavino at $10 for this year only in my NL only league that has saves and holds are separate categories. Keepers are due tomorrow and I'm thinking he's a keeper now.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Is it going to be Robertson or Ottavino? Roster Resource had Ottavino as the 8th inning guy and Robertson as the 7th. But they've not put Robertson in as the closer and kept Ottavino as the 8th inning guy. what say the pen? I have Ottavino at $10 for this year only in my NL only league that has saves and holds are separate categories. Keepers are due tomorrow and I'm thinking he's a keeper now.
        Hard to say how the saves will shake out. Scott White of CBS thinks Ottavino will be the guy while some other "experts" lean Robertson. At this point both of them should get a boost and with holds as a separate category Ottavino looks like a keeper.

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

Hard to say how the saves will shake out. Scott White of CBS thinks Ottavino will be the guy while some other "experts" lean Robertson. At this point both of them should get a boost and with holds as a separate category Ottavino looks like a keeper.
          Thanks
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I’ve also read that Raley could get a few opportunities. Nobody knows anything at this point, it seems.

Comment

• What say the 'pen on Baty's chance of unseating Escobar at 3B this year (and if so, when)? As you may have seen from my recent keeper thread, he's a potential keeper for me (with a $4 A salary and contract), and it'd be good to have a better idea what his chances will be.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                What say the 'pen on Baty's chance of unseating Escobar at 3B this year (and if so, when)? As you may have seen from my recent keeper thread, he's a potential keeper for me (with a $4 A salary and contract), and it'd be good to have a better idea what his chances will be.
                The Mets are cursed. Nimmo is now hurt. At this rate, expect Escobar to be hurt within the week. Seriously, I think Baty will get a chance at some point, whether it is by unseating Escobar, or McNeil needing to play the OF and opening up second for Escobar, or just more injuries and shuffling. Baty will be needed at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

Like Ken, I've advocated waiting on closers or avoiding them altogether and FAABing them. Again, like Ken said, they're no sure bet to keep the job even if they start with it out of ST. In the 5 leagues I'm in I have only 2 traditional closers to start the season only 1 of whom I drafted (this year). I draft handcuffs and high leverage RPs in the later rounds and actively use FAAB to glean the rest. I can recall how many times I've been burned trading for closers to make a money run, but it's been quite a few times. So much so that I'm just over it.

Whether an unrelated injury or an in game injury or just general ineffectiveness, closers are the least secure investment in rotoball from my perspective. even the $1 buck Bender you dealt me last year was one buck too much.

Just my .02
                  Yeah, my point was that the Diaz and Hendriks case didn't really change anything. Closers were already insecure.

Man, Bender, barely remember him as part of the squad.
                  Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-17-2023, 10:03 PM.
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by harmon View Post

I think the high profiles of Diaz and Hendricks are going to resonate with drafters next year.

Every team ends up with several starters, if one of them goes down it's not the end of the world. If you invest heavily in a top tier closer that goes down it is the end of the world as you don't have multiple guys to pick up the void. Handcuffing is tough, you usually need to overpay to be sure to get the one you want and damn near always it becomes some sort of crazy committee that was totally unpredictable.

I just go in to one draft every year (always in January) so I know who to cheer for. I picked Diaz as the second last pick in the 2nd round of a 15 teamer this year mostly because being at the turn I knew the top closers would be gone before it got back to me. I didn't feel good about it at the time but held my nose and passed on some really good hitters. I went in to serious buyer's remorse as the draft went along and now I guess this was the Baseball God's message to me to follow your instincts.
                    Some good points. I tend to focus on auctions, not drafts, but you bring up some things people might consider in a draft format. And they should have been considerations before...but as you noted this may drive the point home.
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Omar Narvaez is expected to miss 8-9 weeks with a mid/high-grade strain of his left calf.

​ The Mets are calling up catcher Francisco Alvarez prior to Friday's game.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Justin Verlander (shoulder) is likely to make his Mets debut on Thursday against the Tigers. Verlander had six strikeouts over 4 2/3 scoreless innings in a rehab start with Double-A Binghamton on Friday.

Last edited by madducks; 05-01-2023, 11:50 AM.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Justin Verlander (shoulder) is likely to make his Mets debut on Thursday against the Tigers. Verlander had six strikeouts over 4 2/3 scoreless innings in a rehab start with Double-A Binghamton on Friday.

Verlander met debut on now
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Verlander met debut on now
                            Not going great !
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Not going great !
                              Did OK after the 1st inning. Done now: 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 5 K. Not bad for the 1st game back.

Comment

• Originally posted by rhd View Post

Did OK after the 1st inning. Done now: 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 5 K. Not bad for the 1st game back.
                                yeah, lot of hard hit balls, but he's Justin Verlander so I think he will be ok
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X