2K24: Chicago Cubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Cubs claim OF Franmil Reyes off waivers from the Guardians.
    Build that team boys build that team!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Build that team boys build that team!
      And the Tigers must be happy with their OF/DH. I posted on the Tiger FB site that Avila should take a shot on getting Reyes. It wouldn't have cost much.

Comment

• Jason Heyward (knee) has been ruled out for the remainder of the season and will not return to the Cubs in 2023. Looks like the Cubs are going to eat the $22 million that they still owe Heyward for 2023.
        Last edited by madducks; 08-08-2022, 08:40 PM.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
          And the Tigers must be happy with their OF/DH. I posted on the Tiger FB site that Avila should take a shot on getting Reyes. It wouldn't have cost much.
          All due respect but I dont see how the Tigers, a rebuilding team that is already saddled with an aging DH, would want to take on another aging and underperforming DH. Be happy the Cubs did it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            All due respect but I dont see how the Tigers, a rebuilding team that is already saddled with an aging DH, would want to take on another aging and underperforming DH. Be happy the Cubs did it.
            Im gonna walk this back a tad as I thought Franmil was significantly older than 26 y/o...he just feels older.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              Im gonna walk this back a tad as I thought Franmil was significantly older than 26 y/o...he just feels older.
              Didn't you hear? Avila stated the rebuild was over. He has no problems resigning pitchers like Norris or playing W Castro/Reyes/Cameron. I think he was worth a chance and the cost would have been minimal.

Comment

• Hayden Wesneski w an immaculate inning (9 pitches, all strikes, no ball put in play) last night. This was the 111th such inning in MLB history but the 5th one this year. These have become more common in the last 10 years or so. Wesneski has been pretty good so far in his brief MLB career, sporting a 2.45 ERA, 0.82 WHIP w 24 Ks and 4 BBs in 22.0 IP.

Comment

• Jameson Taillon, is working on a new slider grip this spring. Taillon has wanted to tweak his slider in the past, as he hasn't had the best results with the pitch, so he was intrigued when the Cubs were courting him in free agency and presented him with the concept of a new grip which could work well with his arm slot. He worked on the new grip during the winter, aimed at creating more sweeping action, so the next step is testing it in-game and seeing how it fits into his overall arsenal. “So far the results have been pretty promising,” Taillon told the Chicago Tribune. “I’m excited to break it out in games and see how it fares, but metrically, I’m pretty encouraged by it.”

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Seiya Suzuki oblique strain, opening day in question

Comment

• The Cubs and second baseman Nico Hoerner have reached an agreement on a three-year, $35 million contract extension which will cover his arbitration years.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cubs agreed to terms with outfielder Ian Happ on a three-year, $61 million contract extension through 2026.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is an overpay for a guy coming off of a 17 hr, 72 rbi .271 avg season?

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          Cubs agreed to terms with outfielder Ian Happ on a three-year, $61 million contract extension through 2026.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is an overpay for a guy coming off of a 17 hr, 72 rbi .271 avg season?

Defense comes into the equation for contracts. First Gold Glove last year and only the 4th Cubs Outfielder to win the award. Good club house presence. Good Community guy. Management/Ownership needed to show fans and players that they are not as cheap as their reputations have become.

If it was an overpay by how much? $2m per year? This extension has been dragging on for two long (probably trying to figure out how to be cheap without getting caught). This was a needed signing.

Sports talk guys think Happ gave a discount both in years and salary. Speculation was that he could have went FA after this year and commanded 5 years 95M.

Comment

• 4 WAR guy last year, seems like the going rate if not a little on the cheap side.

Comment

• That Steele kid is pretty good.

Mervis with his first hit.

Comment

• Epic meltdown by the Cubs tonite. Ahead 6-1 going into the bottom of the 8th against Houston. Astros scored 2 in the 8th and 3 in the 9th on a walkoff single by Kyle Tucker to lose 7-6. Ruined another excellent outing by Smyly (my pitcher!). Really a headscratcher the way the Cubs used their pen tonite. Leiter and Alzolay are listed as being their 2 highest leverage guys by both FG and CloserMonkey. Alzolay came in in the 7th w the score 6-1 and pitched a scoreless inning. Leiter pitched the 8th and gave up 2 runs but they still led 6-3. Keegan Thompson started the 9ths and didnt get anyone out, giving up a 2-run HR and then a walk. Brandon Hughes then came on and walked Bregman intentionally. Both runners moved into scoring position after a fielder's choice and then Tucker walked it off. It was unnecessary to use your 2 highest leverage guys w the score 6-1. That would have been the place to use Thompson and Hughes, saving Leiter and/or Alzolay for the 8th or 9th or when the score got tighter. Alzolay and Leiter have been very good lately, too; the other 2, not so much. I would say this is poor bullpen management.

Cubs are slumping after doing fairly well until the last couple weeks. This game certainly didnt help and they now are 2-8 in their last 10.

BTW, Smyly has been surprisingly good this year. Now a 2.86 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 46 Ks in 50.3 IP.

Comment

Working...
                                X