2K24: Minnesota Twins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    I think these players actually do themselves a disservice by signing these long-term contracts that are backbreaking to the franchise. You've already made a ton of money before the big contract so why put yourself through the scrutiny of a gigantic deal?
    The MLBPA would never go for it. They need players breaking boundaries every free agent period.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      I'm not saying they should play for the league minimum, but taking shorter term contracts would still leave you set for life and reduce the chance of your fans turning on you.
      if someone offers you $100M, would you say no I'd rather have $50M? If nothing else, take the $100M and start the "overkill94 foundation" charity with $50M.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        if someone offers you $100M, would you say no I'd rather have $50M? If nothing else, take the $100M and start the "overkill94 foundation" charity with $50M.
        Of course it would be hard to pass up, but some of these guys seem miserable. Plus, they complain when their team's not a winner, but what they don't realize is their own contract is the one that's handcuffing the franchise.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          You're still asking why people would leave millions of dollars on the table just to avoid some anonymous strangers disapproving. Any one of us wouldn't give a seconds thought if given that opportunity.
          It works for the Spurs. Ask LeBron and his "superstar" pals.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            It works for the Spurs. Ask LeBron and his "superstar" pals.
            I am not a Heat fan but LeBron and his superstar pals have done just fine thank you.
            After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              I am not a Heat fan but LeBron and his superstar pals have done just fine thank you.
              IIRC LeBron predicted something like 7 titles when he made "The Decision". 2 for 7 is good in baseball, but not in most sports.

He's also unlikely to get another in Miami for several reasons--One, Wade is pretty much toast; Two, Bosh shows no willingness to play like the big man he is; Three, Ray Allen is even more toast than Wade; Four, the rest of the team is useless most of the time, with no lockdown defenders, no shooters, and no rebounders remaining; Five, the only guy who did stand his ground, Battier, just retired; Six, they don't have high draft choices; Seven, they're salary cap-strapped due to the salaries of Wade and Bosh (LBJ earns his); and Eight, with David Stern retired, the refs aren't as susceptible to being intimidated to see things Miami's way.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Phil Hughes set the all-time single season record for best K/BB ratio among qualified starting pitchers, 11.625 K/BB (186 Ks, 16 BBs).

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Phil Hughes set the all-time single season record for best K/BB ratio among qualified starting pitchers, 11.625 K/BB (186 Ks, 16 BBs).
                  Pasting some info from another site on Hughes:

Interesting tidbit. Hughes gets a $500,000 bonus at 210 ip. He's at 209.2...

Gardenhire said Hughes won't pitch out of the bullpen this weekend simply to reach $500K bonus so his season is done.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Pasting some info from another site on Hughes:

Interesting tidbit. Hughes gets a $500,000 bonus at 210 ip. He's at 209.2...

Gardenhire said Hughes won't pitch out of the bullpen this weekend simply to reach $500K bonus so his season is done.
                    I'd be shocked if the Twins didn't give him the bonus anyway.

Comment

He didn't earn the bonus. No soup for Hughes!
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

i could look it up but am too lazy ... did he go 9 or get pulled in his last start?
                        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          i could look it up but am too lazy ... did he go 9 or get pulled in his last start?
                          Rain delay after he pitched 8 innings...didn't come back after hour delay.

The twins did offer him the chance to pitch this weekend, but he turned it down.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Classy move by the Twins. Strange that Hughes would turn it down - it'd be like a between start side session to get an inning in.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Classy move by the Twins. Strange that Hughes would turn it down - it'd be like a between start side session to get an inning in.
                              Maybe he's a superstitious sort...but he said that he just din't want to risk any injury by going away from his routine. He thanks the club and said that he owns them the best upcoming 2 seasons that he can give them. A really classy move by Hughes as well...I think the club should donate the half a million to a charity of Hughes' choice...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

It might also have something to do with the fact that if he walked a batter and didn't record a strikeout, the record for K/BB ratio would be gone.

Comment

Working...
                                X