Made a trio of trades today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a trio of trades today...

12-team mixed traditional 5x5. Keeper league (no salaries, no rounds, just straight-up keepers)

So I swung three trades today, and I'm curious how I made out...I'm a little nervous. Hopefully there won't be rounds of boos with jeers bemoaning my stupidity.

The three trades combine to make this player swap...
    I Get: Pujols, Cuddyer, Phegley (throw in), AReed, Frieri.
    I Give: Braun, Lawrie, SPerez, JTurner, Parnell.

Cuddyer replaces Braun in my OF (CarGo, Joey Bats, Ellsbury, Stubbs, Frazier, Saunders my other OFs). Pujols replaces Freese at CI (Rizzo at 1B, Donaldson at 3B), and I feel like it gives me a hedge in case Donaldson craps out in the 2nd half. Castro was my third catcher and will replace Perez (Lucroy is my other...we start 2). I gain in saves, which I'm currently 7th in. I hated trading Turner, but he wasn't going to be a keeper. I needed to get rid of one SP because I'm going to go over my innings limit if I don't. Two of the teams I traded with are looking for keepers for 2014, hence their interest in Braun, Turner, and Lawrie.

Basically, I'm making a run at 2nd. First place team is way too far out front with a retarded 107 points. I'm at 80.0, 3.0 behind 2nd. Teams in 4th-6th have 78.0, 77.0, and 76.5, respectively.

Thoughts on how I did?

you did well for thisseason (which was your goal). Since you gave the best player by far in the deal, you didnt fare well in keeper value. You did get a little value in gaining an extra closer but in a 12 teamer, that value is neglegible.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I wouldn't worry about losing Turner, to me he's barely rosterable in a 12-teamer anyway. Losing Braun is one of those harsh realities of the suspension - if you're a contending team you have to give him up. I think you did well overall (especially in the saves department) although it seems like Braun should've netted a slightly bigger haul.

How many keepers are you allowed and who will you be keeping now?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        I wouldn't worry about losing Turner, to me he's barely rosterable in a 12-teamer anyway. Losing Braun is one of those harsh realities of the suspension - if you're a contending team you have to give him up. I think you did well overall (especially in the saves department) although it seems like Braun should've netted a slightly bigger haul.

How many keepers are you allowed and who will you be keeping now?
        We get 8 keepers, any position. Right now, my definites are:
        2B Altuve
        SS Tulowitzki
        OF CarGo
        OF Bautista
        OF Ellsbury

My other options are:
        C Lucroy
        1B Rizzo
        1B Pujols
        3B Donaldson
        OF Cuddyer
        SP Shields
        SP ASanchez

With only 8 keepers, I refuse to keep a closer. My keeper lost some serious luster by trading Braun for sure, but I have to be focused on this year.

The way the trades broke down:
        Traded Braun for Frieri and Reed.
        Traded Lawrie and Turner for Cuddyer.
        Traded Parnell and Perez for Pujols and Phegley (Pheg being the throw-in since he was going to cut him anyway).

The last trade is the one I'm most uneasy about. I'm gambling on Pujols having a 2nd half similar to last year's. If he doesn't, I lose on this deal, hands down. I normally wouldn't have dealt a closer, but Parnell has been iffy lately, and I had already pulled the trigger on the Braun deal, so I thought I still gained a net profit on saves.

Comment

I think the last trade is fine. Individually I like all the trades. I just wonder if Braun had more value than that to a dumping team. Of all the 3 deals that is the only one that gives me any pause.

Comment

Good thing you got Frieri when you did!! Oh wait....
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Is Braun that great a keeper? His stats this year are mediocre. Everybody is blaming the thumb injury. Isn't it possible that the drop off is not the thumb but the fact that he is no longer on the juice? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                Good thing you got Frieri when you did!! Oh wait....
                Frieri won't be on my roster until tomorrow . Just hope it isn't a sign of things to come, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I think the last trade is fine. Individually I like all the trades. I just wonder if Braun had more value than that to a dumping team. Of all the 3 deals that is the only one that gives me any pause.
                  In this league, probably not. I think anything more, and we would have been risking a veto. The trade went through overnight, but I did get a couple of comments about picking up two closers for a guy who is done for the year. Looking at his roster, I'm not sure there was much more to be done. He has no offensive guys on his bench because he has been hit hard by the DL, and he's hanging onto Oscar Taveras. The only pitchers he has that I would have wanted are guys that he'll keep (Gio, Harvey, Cingrani).

And the other things, lol, this is the kind of guy who doesn't like being pushed in trades. He made the offer, and if I had countered with something more, he very well could have shut down on me and pulled the offer. He's done it two me twice in four years.

Comment

Working...
                  X