Go for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go for it?

I'm in 5th, 7.5 out of 2nd and 12.5 out of first. A few weeks ago I made a trade and the top 5 collapsed so I got from 20 out to 12.

With a couple impact bats and arms I could gain 18 points. I can gain the most in HR/RBI/R/ERA/WHIP. I can post the numbers if necessary.

The last place team who has yet to dump (!) has Wieters/Hosmer/Markakis/Lester/Doubront/GHolland.

My crowning jewel is Profar 1 and I was the first to offer him up but several dump trades have been made with no inquiries. I don't get it. My other freeze candidates (2014 only) are Scott 1, Norris 4, Buehrle 3, Happ 1, Drew 5, Baker 3, de Aza 19, Lavarnway 4, Archer 10, Shields 22, Wilson 20, Paulino 1, Soria 1.

Is it worth cleaning house to make a run at the title? I think I know the answer, however, #1-3 have made dump trades so I'm not sure how that will affect the standings.

Someone point me in the right direction.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Well, even with Profar that's not a very exciting keeper list. So if you could deal him for 2 or 3 studs then I would go for it. Otherwise I'd accept that 2014 might not be your year either and plan to build around him.

Comment

There is no tomorrow
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Try to factor in the following:
        1) how much the 1-3 guys got for their dumps as to how far you really are out of contention
        2) do they still have chips to sell (you don't want to dump only to have them sell their other chips and leave you in the dust)
        3) why the last place team didn't dump -- has he abandoned and isn't coming back, does he see his expensive guys as 'building blocks'

If after that you still can make a run--------"What are you reading this for? Times a-wasting! GO!!!!!
        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Well, even with Profar that's not a very exciting keeper list. So if you could deal him for 2 or 3 studs then I would go for it. Otherwise I'd accept that 2014 might not be your year either and plan to build around him.
          Never. Go for it every year!

I'd trade Profar in a second if a quality deal came my way.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Never. Go for it every year!

I'd trade Profar in a second if a quality deal came my way.
            I second this. Profar seems over hyped...
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

1st still has Zunino 1, Franklin 1, Ortiz 9, Springer 3, Kluber 5, Balfour 10, Bauer 2, Odorizzi 4, Quintana 5. He gave up Lyles 1, Shuck 1, Arcia 2 in his dump deal for Milone, Getz and Bourn, so he shouldn't be finished.

2nd has Peralta 8, Moreland 3, Hicks 4, Erasmo 3, Capps 1 so he could make another deal. He traded Barnes 3 and Ianetta 6 for Trumbo. That one is laughable.

3rd traded Martin, Dempster, Pettitte (all expiring) and Parker 10 for Weaver 28 and Gomes 10. Meh.

So looking at it noone really loaded up (which new rules were implemented to prevent this year) but the last place team is ripe for the picking. The offer is out there. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I need pitching, so should I blow my load on Garza (I have 55 and would FAAB 54 to beat the next team with 53)? I need pitching so I guess it won't get much better than him. I imagine one of the bottom feeders with 80+ will get him and try to flip him.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  I need pitching, so should I blow my load on Garza (I have 55 and would FAAB 54 to beat the next team with 53)? I need pitching so I guess it won't get much better than him. I imagine one of the bottom feeders with 80+ will get him and try to flip him.
                  I wouldn't spend that much of my FAAB on him, for fear of getting him and crippling your ability to fill holes for the last two months. A big portion of your FAAB, yes, all or almost all, no.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                    I wouldn't spend that much of my FAAB on him, for fear of getting him and crippling your ability to fill holes for the last two months. A big portion of your FAAB, yes, all or almost all, no.
                    Done. Don't expect to get him, but probably wouldn't have at 54 anyway. I'll just trade for him.

Comment

The last place team offered Lester 18 / Markakis 21 and my choise of ARam 20 / ACab 22 / Kendrick 21
                      for
                      Norris 4 / Lough 3 / Profar 1

That's certainly a package I'm willing to move. However, I need ratios, saves and an impact bat (first in wins), and he has Wieters 26 and Hosmer 21, plus Holland 10 (expiring), so I made the offer:

Wieters 26 / Kendrick 21 / Markakis 21 / Lester 18 / GHolland 10
                      for
                      Corporan 1 / Profar 1 / Lough 3 / Dickey 28 / Norris 4

I'll keep you posted.
                      Last edited by virgonomic; 07-26-2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I'm glad I remembered that we have a salary floor/ceiling this year and a player's FAAB price is his salary. Last year bottom feeders could FAAB $85 on an NL stud and flip him, but this year, no contending team will be able to take on that contract. So I will bid a little over value but nothing crazy.

Comment

Wieters 26 / Kendrick 21 / Markakis 21 / Lester 18 / GHolland 10
                          for
                          Corporan 1 / Profar 1 / Lough 3 / Dickey 28 / Norris 4
                          Done deal. I love it. He has ACab and ARam left but I wanted to make sure he wasn't saving a big haul to trade to one of the other teams in the hunt. I'm $19 under cap even if I use Lester, but for now I plan to roll 4 closers to help in ratios and saves.

Comment

Working...
                          X