The Cardinals are insane w/RISP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cardinals are insane w/RISP

Cool graph. My Grade 12 Stats students are going to see it this year when we discuss outliers.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Allen Craig is hitting a ridiculous .489 with RISP...
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Pretty freaking amazing that the Pirates are within spitting distance of them given where they both fall on the chart.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          Pretty freaking amazing that the Pirates are within spitting distance of them given where they both fall on the chart.
          even more amazing when you consider Pitt & Cincy are two of the best teams in baseball in limiting damage w/RISP.

Comment

Craig - .489
            Beltran - .418
            Carpenter - .403
            Molina - .395
            Holliday - .368
            Kozma...yes, Peter Kozma....345

Comment

I believe Allen Craig led the National League in hitting with RISP last year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Part of the reason for this is the Pirates' Expected W-L is worse than their Actual W-L, while the Cardinals is the opposite. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/ While the Cardinals are amazing with RISP (and the pile-ons are fun to watch as a Cardinals fan), perhaps they aren't as much of an outlier in clutch/high leverage situations?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                  Part of the reason for this is the Pirates' Expected W-L is worse than their Actual W-L, while the Cardinals is the opposite. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/standings/ While the Cardinals are amazing with RISP (and the pile-ons are fun to watch as a Cardinals fan), perhaps they aren't as much of an outlier in clutch/high leverage situations?
                  Who cares what the expected record is? Seems like a waste of time to me.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Who cares what the expected record is? Seems like a waste of time to me.
                    I figured you would love expected record stats---it can support an argument that regular baseball, like fantasy baseball, is just luck.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                      I believe Allen Craig led the National League in hitting with RISP last year as well.
                      He did...hit .400, 8 points better than Adrian Gonzalez

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        I figured you would love expected record stats---it can support an argument that regular baseball, like fantasy baseball, is just luck.
                        I understand Mith's point. If you're a Pirates fan, you don't care about expected record. All you give a hoot about is getting to 82 wins and ending this bleeping streak. If they win 79 and "expected wins" is 85, it's no consolation.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

I read the FG article about this just now and got curious about some of the other guys on the team.

Matt Carpenter is hitting .293/.358/.466 with nobody on (still a quite good 133 wRC+) but with men on base he's hitting .408/.492/.602 (204 wRC+).
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            The KEY difference is that in regular baseball the players are actually determining the outcome of the games..hence a large amount of skill is involved.

In fantasy baseball we have no affect on the outcome of any games or player performances...hence a large amount of luck is involved.

Comment

I submitted something to ESPN last night that should run later today -- Cards & Pirates have 13 games vs one another the rest of the way. Cards are the best team in baseball w/RISP while the Pirates pitching staff is tops when pitching w/RISP. Very intriguing matchups as the two teams have FIVE games against one another next week as a make-up game was added to what was already a four-game set.

Comment

Working...
                              X