vulture wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vulture wins

I know that vulture wins and saves are practically impossible to predict but it also seems that in shallow leagues 7th and 8th inning pitchers with solid k/9 can be more valuable than mediocre SPs - if they pitch enough in a week. Or even just enough Ks in a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions for RPs?

Benoit was one of those pitchers and now he is a closer.

who else?
    Last edited by swampdragon; 06-23-2013, 11:56 AM.

John Axford fits the bill oddly enough. Guys like Eric OFlaherty (injured) used to be gold. Maybe Tyler Clippard.

Comment

Brett Cecil seems to be the go-to guy here in tied games & has been lights out.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Melancon. Rosenthal. Both these guys together all season has done wonders for the WHIP and ERA. Melancon got a vulture win yesterday too and Rosenthal is among the best RP in all of baseball on Ks.

Comment

Ian Kroll is another guy to keep an eye on.

Comment

Paul Clemens has been the guy in that position for the Astros. Going forward Jose Cisnero might see more time in that role.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Tanner Scheppers & Steve Delabar

Comment

Craig Stammen, Alfredo Simon and Justin Wilson in the NL....
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

One caution: sometimes the best non-closing reliever isn't a good candidate for vulture wins. Take Trevor Rosenthal for example. His role with the Cardinals is to pitch the 8th inning whenever the Cardinals have the lead. Matheny tends to use lesser relievers in the 8th when the Cardinals are down by one or two runs. (though Rosenthal does pitch the 8th and sometimes also the 9th in tie games). And no surprise, since he usually pitches when he has the lead already, and does a good job holding that lead, Rosenthal has only one win so far, despite really good numbers overall. That said, he's still good to have on your team b/c of his WHIP, ERA, and he also has strong K numbers for a reliever, but if you are hoping for wins, look elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X