2k13: Jordy Mercer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Jordy Mercer

I'm posting this mostly because I need to work through it myself. Mercer was named the starting SS for the Pirates this week, finally displacing the offensively inept Clint Barmes.

In 2012, Mercer hit 210/265/371 in 68 PAs for the Pirates, with a 5.9% walk rate and 20.6% K rate. He had 1 HR and 0 steals.

At AAA this year (his 3rd time there), Mercer had 109 PAs of 333/404/448 with 1 HR and 3 steals. Indy isn't a great place to hit, certainly not like Vegas or Colorado Springs, but even with that caveat, those numbers don't portend a 25-HR guy.

So far in 114 PAs in the majors, Mercer is hitting 272/324/456 with 3 HR and 2 steals, a 6.1% walk rate and 21.1% K rate. So those look like his real plate discipline numbers in the majors at this point. Mercer has also popped 8 doubles and a triple, hence the nice SLG. He hasn't cracked double digits in steals since 2009 so his value mostly comes from PT and maybe a helpful AVG.

ZIPS the rest of the way says 240 PA, 241/293/374 with 4 HR and 3 SB, which seems a little pessimistic. I think he can hit .260-.270 with 6-7 HRs. Which still isn't much. But at least it's not Clint Barmes.

I picked him up in my NL only because of desperation and have been somewhat content that he isn't a zero. Hitting in the two hole helps although he will be called upon to bunt a lot. Very low end but possible contributor as Barmes should never be allowed in the batters box again.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Your projections seem reasonable. I count 33 2B and 4 3B this year plus last year in AAA plus Majors, in 470 total AB. Those 2B and 3B seem ok to me relative to his 9 HR, suggesting that his HR probably won't be any worse than what you've projected. 100 Ks over the same period; not great but not awful, but suggests your BA projection is reasonable.

Initial fear with guys like this is what happens if they struggle over a small sample size? In other words, are there other obvious options, so could he be out of a job one month from now? Looking through Pirates other options at SS http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19782 , there doesn't appear to be much more competition (unless - can Ivan DeJesus play SS like his dad, or is he strictly 2B?)

Comment

I don't think Dejesus is a real threat; Barmes is slightly less atrocious in the 2nd half, so if Mercer struggles they'll probably just go back to him. The lack of upper-level SS options will probably prevent them from DFA'ing Barmes, though I guess you never know.

Definitely a good point about the bunting. Hurdle loves to bunt. Mercer won't get many chances to do things with runners on, given Marte's so-so OBP, the crap at the bottom of the lineup and Hurdle's bunting.

Comment

Working...
        X