Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects (Pre BA Top 100 Edition)(Write-ups for#111-#150)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects (Pre BA Top 100 Edition)(Write-ups for#111-#150)

Finally, here's the last installment of the writeups (only took me 3 months!).

I will be posting a new list in the next couple days (I promise!).

Write-ups for #1-#35:

Write-ups for #36-#75:

Write-ups for #76-#110:

The list itself:

111 Josh Bell - A real hi-reward, hi-risk guy. Big-time power. Needs work on practically everything, including plate discipline. But he's doing well to start 2013.
    112 Colin Moran - Before the season, he was the highest-rated college position player for the 2013 draft, but Kris Bryant has usurped that distinction from him now. Considered pretty polished. BA says he has potential plus power, below average speed w a reasonable chance to stick at 3B.
    113 Lance McCullers - Power pitcher. FB sits at 93-97 and touches 100. Also a plus slider. Needs work on command and control. Questionable whether he can remain a starter.
    114 Kyle Gibson - I thought he'd be in the opening day Minny rotation, but he's back in AAA. May not be there long, as he may be better rt now than most of the Twins' rotation. His velocity and stuff have returned after TJ surgery. FB sits at 92-94.
    115 Daniel Straily - Having a rough go in 2013 so far. Led the minors in K's last year, but throws only 91-92. Profiles as a back of rotation guy. Is ineligible now for the list.
    116 Matt Szczur - Has a lot of upside but has disappointed people who thought he'd come along faster than he has. I seem to be higher on him than most. BA says he's the best athlete and fastest player in the Cubs' system. Also a solid CFer and excellent makeup. He's rather old for AA, but part of the reason is that he's a 2-sport star that began focusing on baseball late.
    117 Jonathan Villar - Could be the starting SS in Houston by the end of the year. His SBs are legit because he has plus speed. Potentially good defensively at SS but needs refinement. Also needs work on plate discipline.
    118 Jace Peterson - BA says he's refined and has no outstanding tool but no glaring weakness either. Despite his SBs, BA says he has only slightly above average speed but he gets good jumps.
    119 Jarred Cosart - Could be the future closer in Houston, but the Astros are keeping him a SP for now. He's doing very well so far in that role in 2013, and could be in the MLB rotation soon. FB sits at 94-97 and touches 99. Potentially a very good CB, too, but needs more consistency w it.
    120 Martin Perez - Small for a righty SP. FB sits at only 91-92 and touches 95. Some think he profiles better as a reliever, but he's still a starter for now. Is back now after an early season injury. Still only 22 y/o. Texas seems to be reserving a spot in the rotation for him.
    121 Wily Peralta - In the Brewers' rotation and has been up and down so far. FB sits at 93-95 and touches 98. Ineligible for the list now.
    122 Tony Cingrani - Called up to the rotation after Cueto's injury, he's pitching so well he might stay there after Cueto returns. His FB varies from 88-95. BA says whether he can improve his fringy breaking stuff will determine whether he remains a starter.
    123 Zach Lee - BA says he has command of 4 pitches, but none of them are outstanding and that he projects as a #3 starter. FB is 90-95. Nice start to 2013 season.
    124 Justin Nicolino - BA says he profiles as a #3 starter. FB sits at 88-92 and touches 94. Also has a plus changeup. His path to the bigs is clearer w his new org.
    125 Cody Buckel - This smallish RHer had terrific 2012, but is having a horrendous 2013 so far. FB sits 90-91 and touches 93. BA's scouting report said he was polished but suggested he profiles as a back-of rotation starter. He'll be dropping off the list for now.
    126 Andrew Heaney - BA says he was the top College LHer in last year's draft. FB sat at 88-90 but touched 97. Has plus slider. He hasn’t pitched yet in 2013, but I havent heard anything about an injury.
    127 Michael Fulmer - FB sits at 92-93 and touches 95. He had meniscus surgery in March and hasn’t pitched yet in 2013.
    128 Carlos (Yolmer) Sanchez - Despite the SBs, BA says he has only average speed. Considered a good fielder and might even be able to handle SS. Even tho only 20 y/o, he's considered a candidate for callup sometime this season.
    129 Avisail Garcia - Above-average power and average speed w good instincts. BA says he has tools to be a solid regular w AS potential. Plate discipline needs work. Recently called up to Detroit again.
    130 Jonathan Schoop - Has above-average power w below average speed and a strong arm. Had a good WBC. May be the O's everyday 2Bman before the year is over, altho BA says his future might be at 3B or OF.
    131 Matthew Adams - Is doing fine in mainly a bench role in St. Louis in 2013. But he wont move Craig off of 1B and he doesn’t fit anywhere else. And, even if Beltran leaves as expected, Craig doesn’t move to the OF because Taveras slides out there. So a trade is what Adams needs. Now if they trade Taveras for Profar...
    132 Bryce Brentz - It must have been embarrassing for Brentz to explain to people why he shot himself in the leg. And I suppose it's somewhat embarrassing to me to explain why I listed such a knucklehead on my top prospects list. Bryce didnt come up w any good answers and neither have I. Anyway, pre-incident, I considered Brentz a candidate for MLB regular, who might even debut in MLB this year. He had a solid year and has good power potential, altho he K's too much. The injury hasnt affected his performance, as he's hitting well so far this year. I think I'm dropping him off the list anyway.
    133 Jose (Vicente) Campos - Missed most of 2012 w elbow inflammation. But he's pitching again now and doing reasonably well. FB sits at 94-95 and has power CB. His stuff was considered electric before he was shut down last year, so he has hi upside.
    134 Richie Shaffer - BA says he's the most polished and biggest impact bat in the Rays' system. He's supposed to have good plate discipline but he hasn’t shown it so far in 2013. BA says he could crack the Tampa lineup sometime in 2014. Because of Longoria, will have to move to 1B or OF. Not sure if he'll stay on my list.
    135 Kyle Parker - Has tremendous raw power and has become a much better overall hitter. Also topped the Cal League in OBP last year. A below-average runner and defender.
    136 Miles Head - Questionable whether he can stick at 3B, and if he has to move to 1B, he's "right-right". Having a terrible start to 2013. Plate discipline needs work and also a below-average runner. He'll be dropping off my list.
    137 Joey Gallo - Put up impressive power stats in a half season last year. Lots of swing and miss tho. Many remain unconvinced, but Jason Parks at BP recently gave him a glowing endorsement. Some question whether he can stick at 3B, but he has a strong arm. If he has to move to 1B, at least he's a lefty.
    138 Dan Vogelbach - Despite his unathletic body, people believe he can really hit and project him to to be a solid MLB hitter. Very good power potential. He's limited to 1B where he is adequate at best, and his bat is his ticket. With Rizzo's new contract, there's no place for him at Wrigley, so ultimately he's trade bait.
    139 Matt Skole - Had a breakout year last year. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury that will keep him out most of the season. Has plus power and draws a lot of walks altho he K's a lot too. Might be adequate enough to stick at 3B. Is a question where he'll fit in Washington. He'll be dropping off the list for now.
    140 C.J. Cron - Led the minors w 123 RBIs last year. Has ++ power. Plate discipline needs work. Like Vogelbach, he's average at best at 1B and his bat is his ticket. Unlike Vogelbach, he's a righty.
    141 Henry Owens - Reportedly goes to opponents' games to scout the hitters; gotta love the heart. FB sits 88-94. BA says he may have more upside than Webster or Barnes, altho he's farther away.
    142 Andrew Chafin - Throws 90-94 and also has a great slider. Issues w his delivery lead some to think he's more suited to the bullpen.
    143 Brad Miller - A somewhat divisive prospect. Jason Parks of BP says he likes Miller more than Franklin. BA says he has average power and solid speed, but is an erratic defender and may fit better at 2B. Ranked 2nd in the minors in hits in 2012.
    144 Gavin Cecchini - Brother of Garin Cecchini, ranked #95 above (have there ever been 2 brothers on a top prospects list at the same time?). BA indicates he has average speed and fringy power and has the tools to be a solid SS.
    145 Adeiny Hechavarria - The Marlins' starting SS. Has Gold Glove potential at SS but his bat is questionable. I don’t expect anything special for roto but I project him to keep the SS job and put up stats that are so-so but regular. He's exhausted his eligilibilty now.
    146 Ronald Guzman - The quintessential hi-risk, hi-reward prospect. Very far away from MLB. Has below-average speed and is limited to 1B defensively where BA says he'll have to improve to even be adequate.
    147 Wilmer Flores - Finally had a productive season in 2012. His bat is his ticket as it is questionable where he'll fit defensively. BA says he may not have enough power for 1B or enough quickness for 3B.
    148 Deven Marrero - BA says he is a plus defender and a good bet to stick at SS. He will contend w Iglesias for RedSox SS of the future (assuming Bogaerts moves to 3B), and altho he's not as good defensively, he's much better offensively. His SBs are why he's on the list and BA says his speed is solid.
    149 Daniel Corcino - Throws 91-94. 2nd in the Southern League in ERA in 2012. BA says he profiles as a #3 starter, altho lack of refinement of secondary pitches and small size make it questionable whether he'll remain a SP. Having a horrible start to 2013. He'll drop off my list.
    150 Didi (Mariekson) Gregorius - The last of the 4 Dutch prospects on this list. With Hill's injury, he's getting a lot of playing time at 2B in Arizona and doing the most w it, as he's hitting around .350. Considered an excellent defensive SS. Scouts consider his bat fringy for a MLB regular, but he's trying to prove them wrong. He'll have a better chance at it in his new org w noone but Pennington blocking him.
    Last edited by rhd; 05-17-2013, 12:47 PM.

I drafted #126 Heaney so have been following him and can shed some light. He has a strained lat, expected back soon. Slated for Hi-A.

Prospect Charlie Lowell was arrested this week for battery by strangulation. Marlins 2012 first-round pick Andrew Heaney has yet to play a game in the 2013 minor league season due to injury.

"Drafted ninth overall in 2012 out of Oklahoma State, Andrew Heaney is a talented, methodical left-handed pitcher. He doesn't have a crazy high ceiling, but his floor is probably a number four pitcher. In 2012, Heaney gave up 11 earned runs in just 27 innings pitched, while striking out 30 batters and only walking six. While the idea that maybe he wasn't worthy of the ninth pick still floated around, Heaney did impress the Marlins by being the exact same pitcher they had seen at OSU.

Andrew Heaney has yet to take the mound for any of the Marlins affiliates due to a lat strain. He apparently strained it while pitching in a sim game. Nonetheless, Heaney should be back in action in the next week or so. Look for the Marlins to start Heaney at high Class A Jupiter, where he should spend the entire year. There is an outside chance of Heaney reaching Jacksonville, but it is probably in the Marlins' best interest to keep Heaney in the Florida State League for a full season. Besides staying healthy, Heaney needs to work on developing his curve-ball, deciding whether or not to keep throwing his cutter, and continuing to get strikeouts from all of his pitches."
    Last edited by james33; 05-17-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      131 Matthew Adams - Is doing fine in mainly a bench role in St. Louis in 2013. But he wont move Craig off of 1B and he doesn’t fit anywhere else. And, even if Beltran leaves as expected, Craig doesn’t move to the OF because Taveras slides out there.
      You are correct that he won't move Craig off 1B. But there might be more room for Adams than you think. I follow the Cardinals pretty obsessively. Taveras has been playing CF in AAA this year as the Cardinals hope he can handle CF, with Jon Jay moving to a fourth outfielder role. Still, a lot does need to break Adams' way for a future starting job in stl (Beltran leaves + Taveras plays good enough in CF + Cardinals org decides they are ok with substandard defenders at all three outfield positions in Craig-Taveras-Holliday).

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        116 Matt Szczur - Has a lot of upside but has disappointed people who thought he'd come along faster than he has. I seem to be higher on him than most. BA says he's the best athlete and fastest player in the Cubs' system. Also a solid CFer and excellent makeup. He's rather old for AA, but part of the reason is that he's a 2-sport star that began focusing on baseball late..
        Excellent points and I hope you're right about Szczur. He does seem to have some upside to me - good SB numbers, and teams will tolerate limited power from a CF (good to hear he is solid there), as long as he doesn't strike out much, and Szczur doesn't. Brett Jackson still seems to stink in AAA, so I'd think Szczur would have a real chance at playing CF in 2014 for the Cubs, competing with Schierholz for playing time (with DeJesus sliding over to RF), or at least being a 4th OF there.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
          I drafted #126 Heaney so have been following him and can shed some light. He has a strained lat, expected back soon. Slated for Hi-A.

Prospect Charlie Lowell was arrested this week for battery by strangulation. Marlins 2012 first-round pick Andrew Heaney has yet to play a game in the 2013 minor league season due to injury.

Drafted ninth overall in 2012 out of Oklahoma State, Andrew Heaney is a talented, methodical left-handed pitcher. He doesn't have a crazy high ceiling, but his floor is probably a number four pitcher. In 2012, Heaney gave up 11 earned runs in just 27 innings pitched, while striking out 30 batters and only walking six. While the idea that maybe he wasn't worthy of the ninth pick still floated around, Heaney did impress the Marlins by being the exact same pitcher they had seen at OSU.

Andrew Heaney has yet to take the mound for any of the Marlins affiliates due to a lat strain. He apparently strained it while pitching in a sim game. Nonetheless, Heaney should be back in action in the next week or so. Look for the Marlins to start Heaney at high Class A Jupiter, where he should spend the entire year. There is an outside chance of Heaney reaching Jacksonville, but it is probably in the Marlins' best interest to keep Heaney in the Florida State League for a full season. Besides staying healthy, Heaney needs to work on developing his curve-ball, deciding whether or not to keep throwing his cutter, and continuing to get strikeouts from all of his pitches.
          Thanx, James, for the info on Heaney.

Comment

Happy to help - after all, your lists are amazing. One weird thing from your writeup of Heaney - "FB sat at 88-90 but touched 97." - that seems like a big difference. Usually I read that a guy's fastball sits at 88-90 but touched, say, 93. Or sits at 91-94 but touches 97. Not sure what to make of this - when a player can dial it up that much, maybe he can't quite command it at that level, and it shows promise? Or faulty radar guns? Or maybe I'm wrong entirely and it is more common for a guy to have a 7 mph difference between typical FB and top FB.

Comment

Excellent points and I hope you're right about Szczur. He does seem to have some upside to me - good SB numbers, and teams will tolerate limited power from a CF (good to hear he is solid there), as long as he doesn't strike out much, and Szczur doesn't. Brett Jackson still seems to stink in AAA, so I'd think Szczur would have a real chance at playing CF in 2014 for the Cubs, competing with Schierholz for playing time (with DeJesus sliding over to RF), or at least being a 4th OF there.
              have they given up on Brett Jackson?
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Happy to help - after all, your lists are amazing. One weird thing from your writeup of Heaney - "FB sat at 88-90 but touched 97." - that seems like a big difference. Usually I read that a guy's fastball sits at 88-90 but touched, say, 93. Or sits at 91-94 but touches 97. Not sure what to make of this - when a player can dial it up that much, maybe he can't quite command it at that level, and it shows promise? Or faulty radar guns? Or maybe I'm wrong entirely and it is more common for a guy to have a 7 mph difference between typical FB and top FB.
                Yeah, that does look odd the way it's written. Here's a partial quote from BA's scouting report: "...fastball climbing from 88-90 mph after the layoff to touching 97 in his final pro outing. It should settle at 90-94...". So I didnt want to write that it sits at 90-94 because that's speculation at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  have they given up on Brett Jackson?
                  I'm sure they havent given up on Jackson. But he isnt doing anything to indicate that he deserves another extended shot, altho they may give him one anyway. This year so far, his slash line is .237/317/387 and he has 29 K's in 93 ABs, so a K-rate of > 30%. Hi K totals are not something the current Cubs regime likes to see, especially if he's not doing anything noteworthy otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                  X