2K13: Jayson Werth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Jayson Werth

So did the broken wrist that cost him half the season sap his power, or was the power down despite it? The numbers say the latter. Werth is clearly not the awesome player he was with the Phillies a few years ago, but is this a genuine decline or will it be a bounce-back season (provided he stays healthy)? He seems to have a decent lineup behind him, if he bats near the top of the order.

I'm really torn on this guy...What do you guys think and I'm curious to see $$ projections for NL only.

I think he is one of those guys that it depends on the league. If people are still paying for the Philly Werth, stay far away. If his price has dropped significantly, he could be a bargain.

Comment

Yeah I Think the wrist was the issue. I don't think you'll see a Philly version of him but I still think you have a decent $20 OF in NL-only. He still profiles out as a good power bat with some SBs to boot. And though he K's a good amount, he has above-average walk rates and like you said -- good lineup, good spot in the batting order.

Not much talk on him either so I don't know if it's because he's been left on the side of the road by the fantasy community or if people are just keeping him in the back of their minds hoping to catch him cheaper at drafts.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

He's a 20/20 guy if he gets 550 ABs imo
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I got him at pick 142 in Mock 1 and I was pretty happy with that. Bill James has him down for .267-20-74-83r-14sb. I have no idea if he'll run that much, or where he'll hit. It seems like he'll be in the 5 hole as long as everyone is healthy, which could mean lots of RBIs but not too many runs:

CF Span
          RF Harper
          3B Zimm
          1B LaRoche
          LF Werth
          SS Desmond
          2B Espinosa
          C Suzuki/Ramos

Of course, if Harper plays well and Zimm or LaRoche gets hurt, Harper probably goes to the 3-hole, and maybe Werth goes to #2 over Desmond.

Comment

The more research I do, the less I like Werth.

From the Washington Times:
            “At the end of the season last year, that was one of things that I was dealing with: strength. I didn’t have the strength,” said Werth, who hit two home runs after his return in the regular season and, of course, a very memorable one in the National League Division Series.
            “I’ve been told it’ll come back, it just takes time,” he continued. “The power numbers weren’t obviously there last year, and hopefully it’ll be good this year. They say 18 months (for a full recovery) which would put us past the season, so we’ll see.
            “I feel confident that I can play at a high level without a wrist that’s 100 percent. I felt I played pretty good when I came back. I feel if I can play at that level at least, if not better.”
            That scares the heck out of me...and Johnson is already talking about batting him low in the order.

Comment

Wrist and shoulder injuries often sap power for a while, so this doesn't surprise me. Again, don't expect the power he previously had.

Comment

He was taken at $27 in last years auction. NL only 5x5 keeper $260 budget ultra. Someone traded for him in the off season. It looks like he will be kept at that price this year.

This is not the type of player that I like to gamble on at this price. I am not sure what my ceiling is but I am thinking about 20 bucks.

Comment

I think I'm moderately high on him, but I doubt I would go to $20 in an NL-only. I'd probably opt out in the $17-$18 range.

Comment

I'm not buying. He reminds me a bit of derrek Lee when Lee broke his wrist.
                    In a NL-only draft, the outfield has slim pickings after the Werth tier so I can see owners overpaying at this stage and taking a gamble on a bounce-back. I don't think he will best 15hr/15sb this year. I think he goes in the $12-$18 range in NL-only redraft leagues.

Comment

Working...
                    X