Drew Jones or James Wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drew Jones or James Wood?

Pretty simple, who do you like better? I have the second pick in our NL only minor league draft and Jackson Chourio is going to be picked first. So I'll have the choice between these two. My initial thought was Jones but now I'm second guessing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Jones is more of a 25ish/25ish type of player while Wood is more of a 40 HR guy with some speed.

Both sound pretty nice, having said that, who would you take?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Is this a new league? If not, how is Chourio and Wood available? I'm guessing in-season minor league acquisitions are not allowed. If it is a new league, I'd take other guys before these two, but if they two are the best available, I'd go with Wood, which is sort of surprising to me. For many years, I had a bias against guys as tall as Wood, but the recent influx of big time tall bats has changed my mind about having a tall man bias, and that aside, Wood offers the higher ceiling. Jones is the safer play and will likely be the better real player, if his defense is even close to his dad's. But Wood has a crazy high offensive ceiling. Kiley McDaniel calls him a more toolsy Kyle Tucker. Jones is no slouch in the ceiling department either, but he is farther away and I think, right now, has a slightly lower ceiling. You can't go wrong with either in terms of being pretty equal trade chips, which is what I typically use prospects as.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      Is this a new league? If not, how is Chourio and Wood available? I'm guessing in-season minor league acquisitions are not allowed. If it is a new league, I'd take other guys before these two, but if they two are the best available, I'd go with Wood, which is sort of surprising to me. For many years, I had a bias against guys as tall as Wood, but the recent influx of big time tall bats has changed my mind about having a tall man bias, and that aside, Wood offers the higher ceiling. Jones is the safer play and will likely be the better real player, if his defense is even close to his dad's. But Wood has a crazy high offensive ceiling. Kiley McDaniel calls him a more toolsy Kyle Tucker. Jones is no slouch in the ceiling department either, but he is farther away and I think, right now, has a slightly lower ceiling. You can't go wrong with either in terms of being pretty equal trade chips, which is what I typically use prospects as.
      Thanks. What you say is pretty much what I've been thinking. Higher floor for Jones and defense will help him make the majors but Wood seems to have the higher upside. I had not heard the Kyle Tucker comp, I like that.

It's not a new league, over 20 years old, maybe 30? You can only get prospects in the minor league draft after the auction.

Maybe I should add a poll to get more thoughts.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

A poll will get more data, I think, but I will be surprised if the consensus is not in line with what you were already thinking, or it might be split evenly, but I don't think it would end up largely favoring Jones. The biggest factor I could see pushing folks to Jones is his team. The Diamondbacks seem to have a much better handle on how to develop young bats than the Nationals. I could not argue with anyone ranking Jones ahead of Wood for that fact alone.

But for me, it keeps coming back to a comparison between a fantastic new draftee who is currently banged up and has no minors track record and a more established minor leaguer who has just as much offensive ceiling, if not more, but is closer to the majors and has a track record against professionals. Jones could certainly surpass Wood in time, and it would not be a big reach to take him over Wood, but I think most would agree that Wood is the right pick right now for you. Although, it is noteworthy that RHD has Jones higher than Wood, so I may be wrong about the consensus. Both are top tier prospects that are close in value, so I don't think you can really go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          A poll will get more data, I think, but I will be surprised if the consensus is not in line with what you were already thinking, or it might be split evenly, but I don't think it would end up largely favoring Jones. The biggest factor I could see pushing folks to Jones is his team. The Diamondbacks seem to have a much better handle on how to develop young bats than the Nationals. I could not argue with anyone ranking Jones ahead of Wood for that fact alone.

But for me, it keeps coming back to a comparison between a fantastic new draftee who is currently banged up and has no minors track record and a more established minor leaguer who has just as much offensive ceiling, if not more, but is closer to the majors and has a track record against professionals. Jones could certainly surpass Wood in time, and it would not be a big reach to take him over Wood, but I think most would agree that Wood is the right pick right now for you. Although, it is noteworthy that RHD has Jones higher than Wood, so I may be wrong about the consensus. Both are top tier prospects that are close in value, so I don't think you can really go wrong.
          Thanks. I can't seem to figure out how to add a poll, maybe it needs to be done at the creation of the post. Not a big deal. Thanks for your thoughts.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Interesting debate. When in doubt, go with rhd!

Comment

I had this same choice, and took Jones, FWIW.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                I had this same choice, and took Jones, FWIW.
                I took Wood as well. I asked the guy who picked third who he wanted and he actually wanted Jones so it all worked out. I then took Adael Amador and Edwin Arroyo in the second round (back to back picks) and Benny Montgomery in third, if anyone cares.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  Interesting debate. When in doubt, go with rhd!
                  Well thanx, Sharky, but I wouldnt necessarily say that. I'm just a non-professional prospect ranker. And the list is very dynamic. The current rankings are different than what I've already posted. Rt now, I have Jones and Wood back-to-back, so essentially I'm ranking them the same. Jones probably has more upside and Wood is probably much closer to MLB. So I would make my decision based on that.

BTW, new list will be posted soon, probably Thursday morning.

Comment

Working...
                  X