2023 wbc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 wbc

I didnt see a thread for this and it really deserves one. This year's WBC has been terrific. Even if you didnt watch any game except the one last night, it's been terrific. Last night's game was one of the best I've seen at any level for a long time. The climax created an instant classic. In case you dont know, the phenom, Roki Sasaki started for Japan. His stuff was electric and he averaged over 100 mph w his 4-seamer. He allowed 2 weak singles in the 4th and then made a mistake to Luis Urias, who hit a 3-run HR to left center to put Mexico ahead. Japan was kept off the board until the 7th when new import Masataka Yoshida golfed a pitch down the RF line for a 3-run HR to tie it. Japan ace, Yoshinobu Yamamoto gave up a couple runs in the 8th to put Mexico back ahead 5-3. Japan made it 5-4 in the bottom of the 8th to set up the epic finish in the 9th. Giovanny Gallegos came in to try to close it out. Ohtani led off w a solid 2B to rt center. Yoshida walked to put the winning run on. That brought up the best hitter still in Japan, Munetaka Murakami, who was having a miserable tournament. He had struck out 3 times and popped out in this game. He lined the 3rd pitch off the wall in left center to walk it off. If you missed it, watch the highlights, including the Japanese broadcast. It was great to see the celebration of the Japanese team, including Ohtani hugging his Samurai Japan teammate, Lars Nootbaar, who has all of a sudden become very popular in Japan, and Angels teammate and Mexico starter, Patrick Sandoval, who pitched great in stifling the powerful LHed Japanese hitters. Props also to the Mexican team, who had a great tournament, almost making the finals for the first time. It's a shame they had to lose this game. Oh yeah, Randy Arozarena (from Cuba but playing for Mexico) had a great catch to rob Japan of a HR and did an epic fake out of everyone as to whether he caught it or not, which I've never seen anyone do before.

That sets up the final tonite between Japan and the defending champion USA team, which had its own epic finish a few nights ago w Trea Turner hitting a granny to put USA ahead of Venezuela late in the game. It's the final a lot of people were hoping for and I will be glued to the TV.

I believe this WBC has the highest attendance and most TV viewership of any WBC. And I think the caliber of players is the best it's ever been for this tournament. It's done a lot to promote baseball internationally. In an increasingly troubled world, it's great that countries from around the world can put on a tournament like this. I see nothing but upside to it. Since baseball's inclusion in future Olympics remains very uncertain (it will not be in the 2024 games in Paris), the WBC has essentially become the Olympics for baseball for the time being.
    Last edited by rhd; 03-21-2023, 12:14 PM.

There have been hockey tournaments like this going back several decades starting with the infamous Canada-Russia Summit Series in 1972. That led to future tournaments involving many other countries, similar to the WBC.

I hope the average American baseball fan will come to enjoy the WBC as much as hockey fans like international tournaments (and as much as baseball fans in other countries enjoy the WBC).

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
      There have been hockey tournaments like this going back several decades starting with the infamous Canada-Russia Summit Series in 1972. That led to future tournaments involving many other countries, similar to the WBC.

I hope the average American baseball fan will come to enjoy the WBC as much as hockey fans like international tournaments (and as much as baseball fans in other countries enjoy the WBC).
      One difference between hockey and baseball is that hockey has been established as a permanent Olympic sport but baseball hasnt. This makes the WBC that much more important internationally.

It would be nice if it just could be scheduled to avoid the exhibition and regular baseball seasons or to have a scheduled pause in these seasons for the WBC to be held. Then participation might be increased even further.

BTW, I just heard one video say that tonite's game may be the most watched baseball game period of all time.

Comment

i'm kind of ashamed to say I haven't seen any of the games so far....from all accounts it has been amazing. Got the final on though, hope it is a good game
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        ---------------------------------------------
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I am sad I haven't watched much of it and especially mad at myself for missing this last game. A friend in my league went to that game and kept texting me he wanted Arozarena afterward. He loves guys with swag and man, does Randy have it. When asked before the game what he expects from Sasaki (aka far and away the best baseball player not palying in MLB), he said “For him to lose”

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
            i'm kind of ashamed to say I haven't seen any of the games so far....from all accounts it has been amazing. Got the final on though, hope it is a good game
            It sure was!

Comment

Storybook ending with Ohtani dominating Trout. Great stuff.

Comment

What a tournament! Fitting that it ended w Ohtani facing Trout. But as storybook as that was, the ending to this game was almost anti-climactic compared w yesterday's finish. Even tho I was disappointed that the US lost, I felt like there was no loser. I felt like everyone won. This had to be the greatest international baseball tournament of all time.

A couple things I didnt mention before: Japan's shortstop, Genda, played thru the tournament w a broken finger. Also, the Japanese team lining up to bow in respect to the Mexican team yesterday was very classy. They may have done the same thing to the US team tonite but I didnt see.

Also, there sure were a lot of St. Louis Cardinals in this WBC playing for different countries: Arenado, Goldschmidt, Mikolas and Wainwright for USA, Nootbaar for Japan, Edman for Korea, Gallegos and JoJo Romero for Mexico, Tyler O'Neill for Canada.

Comment

Rhd, agreed - it was pretty amazing. Interesting how many STL players there were. Add to your list Arozarena, who was on STL before he was traded to Tampa Bay.

Comment

I watched quite a few of the games. Really enjoyable. I hope it has some staying power going forward; it's good for the sport.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                    X