how did I do - year 20 keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how did I do - year 20 keeper

16-team, 6x6 (AVG, HR, R, RBI, SB-CS, BB-K and W, SV+HD, IP, K, ERA, WHIP)
    $260 auction budget
    $400 in-season cap
    keep 6 major / 4 minor
    +$3 first 3 years, +$6 after that
    Currently 13th with 40 hitting and 28 pitching

C - Rutschman $13/1st year
    1B - Myers $10
    2B - Drury $13
    3B - Witt $4/1st year
    SS - Tatis $23/4th year
    CI - Baez $12
    MI - Chapman $18
    OF - Springer $37
    OF - Varsho $16/1st year
    OF - Melendez $20
    OF - Wisdom $1
    DH - Chourio $4
    P - Felix Bautista $15
    P - Robertson $4
    P - Berrios $15
    P - Manoah $9 2nd year keeper
    P - Fried $31
    P - Graveman $3
    P - Greene $8/1st year
    P - Wainwright $1
    P - Syndergaard $2
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    DL -
    DL -
    DL -
    MN - Luisangel Acuna $1
    MN - Baty $1
    MN - Grayson Rodriguez $1​
    MN -

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
    16-team, 6x6 (AVG, HR, R, RBI, SB-CS, BB-K and W, SV+HD, IP, K, ERA, WHIP)
    $260 auction budget
    $400 in-season cap
    keep 6 major / 4 minor
    +$3 first 3 years, +$6 after that
    Currently 13th with 40 hitting and 28 pitching

C - Rutschman $13/1st year
    1B - Myers $10
    2B - Drury $13
    3B - Witt $4/1st year
    SS - Tatis $23/4th year
    CI - Baez $12
    MI - Chapman $18
    OF - Springer $37
    OF - Varsho $16/1st year
    OF - Melendez $20
    OF - Wisdom $1
    DH - Chourio $4
    P - Felix Bautista $15
    P - Robertson $4
    P - Berrios $15
    P - Manoah $9 2nd year keeper
    P - Fried $31
    P - Graveman $3
    P - Greene $8/1st year
    P - Wainwright $1
    P - Syndergaard $2
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    BN -
    DL -
    DL -
    DL -
    MN - Luisangel Acuna $1
    MN - Baty $1
    MN - Grayson Rodriguez $1​
    MN -
    not a bad draft ! Don't love Melendez in the OF at that price, though. You'll likely need to figure out if your team is going to compete in the first month or so and decide what to do with Chourio, because he is unlikely to contribute early. If Greene and G Rodriguez are great early on you could have a shot, but I would recommend letting it play out a bit before trading any of your top youngsters.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Not bad. I don't see the reason why you're going with a 3-catcher approach, but at least they're good catchers! Where's the bench?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Not bad. I don't see the reason why you're going with a 3-catcher approach, but at least they're good catchers! Where's the bench?
        yeah, moving one or hopefully two of those catchers should be a priority.
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Like this team overall. Would trade Melendez. And probably need more solid pitching. Overall solid effort though!

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

yeah, moving one or hopefully two of those catchers should be a priority.
            Really both. The reason to draft Varsho is the catcher eligibility, playing him in the outfield should be a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Really both. The reason to draft Varsho is the catcher eligibility, playing him in the outfield should be a last resort.
              On a team where you have Rutschman 13 and Varsho 16 as keepers I think Varsho in the OF is perfectly acceptable; this is likely his last year with C eligibility unless the requirement is 5 games or less.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post

On a team where you have Rutschman 13 and Varsho 16 as keepers I think Varsho in the OF is perfectly acceptable; this is likely his last year with C eligibility unless the requirement is 5 games or less.
                Acceptable? Maybe. But Varsho's true value is as a catcher. You should be able to trade him to a team without a good catcher and get back a better OFer in return. So by rostering him as an OFer you are wasting that opportunity.

It's like if I owned a bar of gold and decided to use it as a paperweight. Would it hold down my papers... yeah it would do a good job at that. That doesn't mean I should keep it as a paperweight if I'm tight on money.

Comment

The whole reason Varsho goes in the 2-3 round of every NFBC draft is because you will get 600 AB and 15 SB from the catcher spot. The same applies to Melendez, without the SB and to a slightly lesser degree. I mean that's the dream scenario for a 2-catcher mixed.

If you are playing either of them in the OF, you need to adjust immediately. Why? Because catchers play less than every other player (as we all know). Rutschman simply wont get nearly the ABs of Varsho and you are robbing yourself of SO MUCH of Varsho's value relative to the other starting C in your league. You should be trading Rutschman as fast as humanly possible, especially in a league like this where he is first year and has good long-term value.

I would also be dealing Melendez myself and play up the fact that 550+++ ABs is assured with a healthy season. His avg is suspect and while totally acceptable as a catcher, a low average 25 HR guy in the OF is meh.

You can really turn Rutch/Melendez into some truly impact pieces to help you win right now. Forget about Rutschman's keeper value. Win NOW!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                    The whole reason Varsho goes in the 2-3 round of every NFBC draft is because you will get 600 AB and 15 SB from the catcher spot. The same applies to Melendez, without the SB and to a slightly lesser degree. I mean that's the dream scenario for a 2-catcher mixed.

If you are playing either of them in the OF, you need to adjust immediately. Why? Because catchers play less than every other player (as we all know). Rutschman simply wont get nearly the ABs of Varsho and you are robbing yourself of SO MUCH of Varsho's value relative to the other starting C in your league. You should be trading Rutschman as fast as humanly possible, especially in a league like this where he is first year and has good long-term value.

I would also be dealing Melendez myself and play up the fact that 550+++ ABs is assured with a healthy season. His avg is suspect and while totally acceptable as a catcher, a low average 25 HR guy in the OF is meh.

You can really turn Rutch/Melendez into some truly impact pieces to help you win right now. Forget about Rutschman's keeper value. Win NOW!!!!
                    completely agree that 2 catchers need to be moved....not sure I agree that Rutschman is the one or that this team can win now. I think it is a solid team that could finish in the money...but probably isn't the favorite. I'd look to move any 2 of the 3 catchers for players that may have value this year, but have potential for much more in the coming years. I think this is a stepping stone/building year...that's how I would play it anyway
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

The problem is in 16tm leagues that use just one catcher, they just don't have a ton of value. The position as a whole is made up of mediocrities, sure, but the bottom tier still has players hitting 13-20 HRs, not like the old days when they would hit 7-10 HRs. As much as I like Melendez, he's projected to be worth the same $$ as players like Canha, Fraley, Bader & Grisham in the OF. I would assume every team has catching options as of today, or can find one off the wire. This is why you don't go after that many catchers, lol.

Comment

The problem is in 16tm leagues that use just one catcher, they just don't have a ton of value. The position as a whole is made up of mediocrities, sure, but the bottom tier still has players hitting 13-20 HRs, not like the old days when they would hit 7-10 HRs. As much as I like Melendez, he's projected to be worth the same $$ as players like Canha, Fraley, Bader & Grisham in the OF. I would assume every team has catching options as of today, or can find one off the wire. This is why you don't go after that many catchers, lol.
                        That is a great point. If every team has a good catcher.....ugh. Makes the whole thing a disaster for the OP. Below is the list of the top 20 C in NFBC main event leagues. I would hit the guy who has one of the bottom four, like really hard. Especially O'Hoppe, who looks certain to start the year in AAA. Hit that guy right now (if that guy exists).
                        1. Realmuto
                        2. Varsho
                        3. Smith
                        4. Perez
                        5. Rutschman
                        6. Contreras
                        7. Melendez
                        8. Kirk
                        9. Murphy
                        10. Contreras
                        11. Stephenson
                        12. Raleigh
                        13. Ruiz
                        14. Jansen
                        15. Moreno
                        16. Heim
                        17. d'Arnaud
                        18. Grandal
                        19. Vazquez
                        20. O'Hoppe​​

Comment

I would hit the guy who has one of the bottom four, like really hard

Hit that guy right now
                          I agree with the analysis but unlike Pauly I don't condone violence.

Comment

That is a great point. If every team has a good catcher.....ugh. Makes the whole thing a disaster for the OP. Below is the list of the top 20 C in NFBC main event leagues. I would hit the guy who has one of the bottom four, like really hard. Especially O'Hoppe, who looks certain to start the year in AAA. Hit that guy right now (if that guy exists).
                            1. Realmuto
                            2. Varsho
                            3. Smith
                            4. Perez
                            5. Rutschman
                            6. Contreras
                            7. Melendez
                            8. Kirk
                            9. Murphy
                            10. Contreras
                            11. Stephenson
                            12. Raleigh
                            13. Ruiz
                            14. Jansen
                            15. Moreno
                            16. Heim
                            17. d'Arnaud
                            18. Grandal
                            19. Vazquez
                            20. O'Hoppe​​
                            Since the OP has three on this list, the bottom 4 teams with catchers still are probably saying, 'well, let's see what I have here.' Gabriel Moreno just gained value, Garver & Langeliers aren't catcher eligible just yet, and Mejia has a lot of upside potential. There's your problem with his strategy.

Comment

Since the OP has three on this list, the bottom 4 teams with catchers still are probably saying, 'well, let's see what I have here.' Gabriel Moreno just gained value, Garver & Langeliers aren't catcher eligible just yet, and Mejia has a lot of upside potential. There's your problem with his strategy.
                              I don't think anyone is espousing drafting 3 catchers as a good "strategy" the question is what to do about it.

You can throw up your hands and give up, or you can realize that drafting 3 catchers was a bad idea and do something about it - which is to identify the teams that can use those catchers and try to make a trade with them. It seems obvious that's the right plan?

Comment

Working...
                              X