White Sox Closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Sox Closer

I have Kendal Graveman at $10 in my 12 team AL only league and was not planning on keeping him, but does anyone have any info on how long Hendriks will be out? I saw that CWS are going closer by committee, but wanted to get thoughts on Graveman as a keeper for $10. He will probably be a $25+ player or a $5 player at season's end is my thoughts, but not sure which one it will be.

I think the very best case for Hendriks is a return around the AS break. I am rooting for him, but the treatment will take a lot out of him and it will take time for him to ramp back up, and it is possible he is out for the year, if he has any set backs.

But even with Hendriks out, Grifol has already said he is going with a committe and I think Lopez could end up taking the lion's share of the saves. He looked good enough last year that I think he could take the job outright at some point if/when Graveman falters. He could outearn that $10, but I would not keep him at that price right now.

Comment

A $25 closer would potentially be the best closer in baseball. Graveman isn't going to be that, or particularly close to it. If you keep him you are hoping for $10-$15 in return and that's probably a 90% percentile case. Expected value is likely closer to $5.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        I think the very best case for Hendriks is a return around the AS break. I am rooting for him, but the treatment will take a lot out of him and it will take time for him to ramp back up, and it is possible he is out for the year, if he has any set backs.

But even with Hendriks out, Grifol has already said he is going with a committe and I think Lopez could end up taking the lion's share of the saves. He looked good enough last year that I think he could take the job outright at some point if/when Graveman falters. He could outearn that $10, but I would not keep him at that price right now.
        I agree with this. Hard to say exactly when Hendriks could return, but Jon Lester had a similar cancer and it took him about 10 months to return.

I also like Reynaldo Lopez to get a fair share of saves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          A $25 closer would potentially be the best closer in baseball. Graveman isn't going to be that, or particularly close to it. If you keep him you are hoping for $10-$15 in return and that's probably a 90% percentile case. Expected value is likely closer to $5.
          we are a AL only keeper league and there are many cheap keeper closers already, so any decent closer FA that comes up in the draft will usually go for at least $20 and I have a shot at Lopez as he will be in our auction and will be nice to pair with Graveman. But even with that, I can't see Lopez going for under $15 ion my auction, and there is nothing worse that buying spec saves on a guy that is a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post

we are a AL only keeper league and there are many cheap keeper closers already, so any decent closer FA that comes up in the draft will usually go for at least $20 and I have a shot at Lopez as he will be in our auction and will be nice to pair with Graveman. But even with that, I can't see Lopez going for under $15 ion my auction, and there is nothing worse that buying spec saves on a guy that is a bust.
            depending on your other keeper options, keeping Graveman at 10 is probably worse than paying 15 for Lopez at auction. I'd likely go with cheaper potential save options, FA pickups, and/or look to trade for a closer later rather than spending too much at auction or too much for a maybe closer as a keeepr.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post

In this situtaion I think you need to let others overbid on Lopez and spend the $ on a good SP, then trade for saves once there is some clarify about what's going on in CHW, MIA, PHI, etc.

If you keep Graveman and bid on Lopez, other owners are going to figure out whats going on and push you, knowing you are likely to go the extra dollar. And even then, there's no guarantee you corner the market on CHW saves.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
              X