Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do for a Klondike Bar (Ohtani Edition)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do for a Klondike Bar (Ohtani Edition)?

12 team AL 5x5
    Ohtani owner asked me what I would offer for him. Ohtani is $21 going into his option year. Given chance he may end up in NL, would you extend Ohtani just in case you get an extra year in the AL?

On my team the owner has signaled that he likes MJ Melendez, Jose Miranda, Jeremy Peņa, and Andres Munoz. Some interest but less in Teoscar Hernandez.

I find it difficult to come up with a package in these situations. Can you help? We keep 7, so extras would be dropped. Players year 2 unless noted as option year.

MJ Melendez 8
    Jose Miranda 8
    Jeremy Peņa 7
    Teoscar Hernandez 18 (final year)
    Adolis Garcia 10 option (likely extend to 15 for two)
    Jordan Romano 12 option (no extend)
    Andres Munoz 3
    Robbie Ray 12 option (no extend)
    Alex Manoah 21

What would you offer for Ohtani? What gets it done? And is it obvious his value is higher as pitcher than as hitter? We have no bench but can use Ohtani as either hitter or pitcher (weekly moves).

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    12 team AL 5x5
    Ohtani owner asked me what I would offer for him. Ohtani is $21 going into his option year. Given chance he may end up in NL, would you extend Ohtani just in case you get an extra year in the AL?

On my team the owner has signaled that he likes MJ Melendez, Jose Miranda, Jeremy Peņa, and Andres Munoz. Some interest but less in Teoscar Hernandez.

I find it difficult to come up with a package in these situations. Can you help? We keep 7, so extras would be dropped. Players year 2 unless noted as option year.

MJ Melendez 8
    Jose Miranda 8
    Jeremy Peņa 7
    Teoscar Hernandez 18 (final year)
    Adolis Garcia 10 option (likely extend to 15 for two)
    Jordan Romano 12 option (no extend)
    Andres Munoz 3
    Robbie Ray 12 option (no extend)
    Alex Manoah 21

What would you offer for Ohtani? What gets it done? And is it obvious his value is higher as pitcher than as hitter? We have no bench but can use Ohtani as either hitter or pitcher (weekly moves).
    Would Melendez, Miranda, and Munoz get it done ? I would try that first I think. If that doesn't work maybe add Pena instead of one of them...or add Pena and get a different keeper or draft pick back.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Would Melendez, Miranda, and Munoz get it done ? I would try that first I think. If that doesn't work maybe add Pena instead of one of them...or add Pena and get a different keeper or draft pick back.
      Does he like Manoah.?
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Doesn’t seem like he likes Manoah.

if I did a deal like this, would you see 1) no extension for Ohtani? And 2) Ohtani used solely as a pitcher?

Comment

I think weekly moves drastically reduces his value over daily. If you view him as pitcher only he is about a 30-32 dollar player (plus inflation). What are some of the other pitchers in your league that have that value and what would you give for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I think weekly moves drastically reduces his value over daily. If you view him as pitcher only he is about a 30-32 dollar player (plus inflation). What are some of the other pitchers in your league that have that value and what would you give for them?

Wait, only as a pitcher? Why would you use him only as a pitcher, he's better as a hitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Wait, only as a pitcher? Why would you use him only as a pitcher, he's better as a hitter?
              See Sharky's post Groups

Comment

See Sharky's post Groups
                I saw the question, I was responding to your answer. Why would anyone use him as a pitcher when he's a better asset as a hitter?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I saw the question, I was responding to your answer. Why would anyone use him as a pitcher when he's a better asset as a hitter?
                  It’s a fair question. Interested to hear more, Ken. This is an AL only 5x5 league. Pitching is pretty thin.

At the same time, BBHQ suggests that in 2022 Ohtani was worth $32 as a hitter, $27 as a pitcher. But for 2023 projections they have Ohtani hitter at $26 and Ohtani pitcher at $33. Just one data
                  point of course.

The potential flexibility is excellent of course. But without a bench and without daily lineup changes, I suspect that value is more
                  muted. Ultimately I’m struggling to value the guy properly. Would be fun to have Ohtani on the team, but at what cost? Guys like Miranda, Peņa, and Munoz are young, cheap, and cost controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post

It’s a fair question. Interested to hear more, Ken. This is an AL only 5x5 league. Pitching is pretty thin.

At the same time, BBHQ suggests that in 2022 Ohtani was worth $32 as a hitter, $27 as a pitcher. But for 2023 projections they have Ohtani hitter at $26 and Ohtani pitcher at $33. Just one data
                    point of course.

The potential flexibility is excellent of course. But without a bench and without daily lineup changes, I suspect that value is more
                    muted. Ultimately I’m struggling to value the guy properly. Would be fun to have Ohtani on the team, but at what cost? Guys like Miranda, Peņa, and Munoz are young, cheap, and cost controlled.
                    Then don't overpay.

One of our top league players was a die hard Cubs fan. He had no Cubs on his team during their run. He said Playing Fantasy is different than rooting for the Cubs. I will not overpay for Cubs and I can still root for my favorite players.

I want Ohtani in our AL only 5x5 daily moves. With inflation I am setting cap for myself at $71. I hope he is the first name thrown out.

Comment

I can only hear this thread as What would you do-ooo-ooo for a Lars Nootbaar

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        I can only hear this thread as What would you do-ooo-ooo for a Lars Nootbaar
                        I would hope pay $5.

Comment

Then don't overpay.

One of our top league players was a die hard Cubs fan. He had no Cubs on his team during their run. He said Playing Fantasy is different than rooting for the Cubs. I will not overpay for Cubs and I can still root for my favorite players.

I want Ohtani in our AL only 5x5 daily moves. With inflation I am setting cap for myself at $71. I hope he is the first name thrown out.
                          I paid $70 at our Auction this last Saturday and I am happy. I would not have went more.

Comment

He went for $70 in one of my leagues that has daily transactions. He went for the equivalent of $49 in another league which has only weekly transactions.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                              He went for $70 in one of my leagues that has daily transactions. He went for the equivalent of $49 in another league which has only weekly transactions.
                              I was glad that he was the first name thrown out. If I didn't get him plan B would have been fine. I do not know what I would have done if plan B (1 pitcher and 1 hitter) would have been thrown out first. I think I would have passed, then if Ohtani went for more than 71 I would have been in trouble...ish.

Comment

Working...
                              X