Painter: Hold him or trade him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painter: Hold him or trade him?

League parameters: 12 team keeper, 5x5 OBP, NL-only, $280 cap, 13 hitters, 10 pitchers and 2 UT slots…with 3 salary exempt minor leaguers, 15 total reserves and average inflation between 45-55% for hitters and 20-25% for pitchers​

I have Andrew Painter as a minor league exempt (MLE) player who will be a $2 keeper whenever he exceeds 50 IP. I had been very excited about having him on my team (which is in a decent position to compete this season), but the UCL injury is a major concern. One owner has offered me a $13 Freddy Peralta and another offered me a $25 Darvish plus an MLE Vientos (I would rather his $5 Cavalli, instead…but he’s not sure about that deal). Am I jumping the gun here? Should I just ride it out with Painter? If he doesn’t need surgery he will probably bring back more in a trade after the auction, but if he does need surgery then I’m not sure what people would give for him.

Another factor: Trading Painter would let me keep Baty, Tovar and Ronny Mauricio as MLE…as opposed to keeping Tovar as a $5 2nd year active roster SS if Painter is my 3rd MLE.
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

I would keep Painter.

Sounds like Tovar would save you $5 if MLE. Darvish is nice but not great savings. But bottom line seems crazy to give up Painter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      I would keep Painter.

Sounds like Tovar would save you $5 if MLE. Darvish is nice but not great savings. But bottom line seems crazy to give up Painter to me.
      I would rather keep Painter, but with Darvish as a known quality and Cavalli to provide some upside potential, it is something I would consider in order to help me compete this season.

(In baseball, how often do sprained UCL’s heal without TJ surgery?)
      2021 Auction Anatomy
      2021 Keeper Decisions
      2020 Auction Anatomy
      2020 Pre-Auction
      2015 Auction Anatomy
      2014 Auction Anatomy
      2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

I would trade him. Sounds like TJ is coming, so he'll basically be useless to you for the next two seasons, and then who knows.

Comment

He countered with offering a $23 Kershaw and a $5 Cavalli. If I take the offer, my keeper roster would be:

CI: Alonso $18, Arenado $33, Cron $25
          MI: C.Taylor $11
          OF: Acuna $22, Meneses $6, Nootbaar $2

SP: Fried $26, Webb $8, Smyly $1, Kershaw $23, Cavalli $5
          RP: Doval $8, Hunter Harvey $3, Floro $1

MLE: Tovar $7, Baty $5, Mauricio $8

That would leave me $88 at the auction for 2 pitchers, 2 outfielders, 2 catchers, 2 UT, 1 SS and 1 MI, which probably works out to this type of tiered budget:

P: $15
          P: $1

OF: $25
          OF: $20

C: $3
          C: $2

SS: $1 (slot to be filled by Tovar)
          MI: $15

UT: $5
          UT: $1 (slot to be filled by Baty)

(Players currently on roster, likely to be cut: Trea Turner $50, Wisdom $14, Hiura $12, Naquin $6, Trayce Thompson $3, Bouchard $2, Hilliard $2)
          2021 Auction Anatomy
          2021 Keeper Decisions
          2020 Auction Anatomy
          2020 Pre-Auction
          2015 Auction Anatomy
          2014 Auction Anatomy
          2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

I would rather replace the $64 for Taylor, Cron, Kershaw and Cavalli with Turner at $50 and have $14 left over.

My thought is keep Painter and Turner. Try to trade Taylor and Cron.

Comment

I like the idea of keeping Turner also.

Pitchers will break your heart. Rookie pitchers are the worst. Hurt rookie pitchers?

(This from a guy who is freezing nine pitchers this year, including a rookie.)
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                I would rather replace the $64 for Taylor, Cron, Kershaw and Cavalli with Turner at $50 and have $14 left over.

My thought is keep Painter and Turner. Try to trade Taylor and Cron.
                Good points. After reading this I would keep Turner and offer Painter and Taylor or Painter and Cron for Darvish.

I would rather have Darvish this year than Kershaw. I hate back problems.

Comment

Rarely have I seen a power pitcher like Painter survive elbow problems with just rest. It seems to usually go : Rehab, test the arm in some games, suffer a setback [or 2], get TJ Surgery.
                  To a lifelong Phils fan such as myself, this is awful news; this kid has serious talent at a ridiculous age, too, and I'd love for him to succeed. I would not bail on him quite yet, as he is not costing you anything at this point but a lost roster slot for another minor leaguer. See if the medical report is favorable with ElAtrache first.Of course, I could be wrong!
                  Bearin' up!

Comment

I made the trade on Sunday night. And now, I hate this stupid game!!!
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
                      I made the trade on Sunday night. And now, I hate this stupid game!!!
                      Well, not to make you hate it more, but Cavalli was taken out of the game today with an arm injury.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

Well, not to make you hate it more, but Cavalli was taken out of the game today with an arm injury.
                        That is why I hate this stupid game.
                        2021 Auction Anatomy
                        2021 Keeper Decisions
                        2020 Auction Anatomy
                        2020 Pre-Auction
                        2015 Auction Anatomy
                        2014 Auction Anatomy
                        2011 Auction Anatomy

Comment

Working...