Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Is Ryan Perry worth holding onto at $4 in a 10-team AL-only keeper league? Valverde has a club option at $9M for next year, but the way's he's pitching they'll definitely pick it up. I'm hoping Perry can at least provide quality ratios and K-rate, but he'd be the one I'd drop at this point if I wanted to pick someone up.
    Until just recently Benoit probably had the closer of the future (i.e. next year) tag and could probably work his way back into that position. And Valverde's option is likely to be picked up if he pitches well the rest of the way so year, I dont see the point of holding Perry unless its for ratios.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post
      So Larussa brought in Boggs in the 8th when the Cards were down 3-2. Then after the Cards tie the game up he brings in Sanchez. Can we make anything out of this?

Sanchez K's 3 in 2 innings including Heyward and McCann.
      I'm just going to hold Boggs and Sanchez and hope for the best. I really dont have roster space to grab Salas and Motte is rostered.

I still think its Boggs unless he blows another save soon and then Sanchez maybe a month from now if a change is needed.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Here comes the forgotten Motte in the 11th to try to close out a 5-3 lead!
        We all have to laugh.

So closer Boggs down 3-2, Sanchez at 3-3 for 2 IP and now in line for the W, and LaRussa spins the wheel and for once it comes up MOTTE...

and he walks the leadoff man Uggla, who is hitting .192.
        2-0 and 3-1 on Freeman too, wow, but whiffs him looking.
        whiffs Alex Gonzalez, No. 8 McLouth up next.

DOH! Here comes Trever Miller, who hasn't recorded an out in his last 5 appearances (only 5 batters but still).

And McLouth flies out to end it.

BUY TMiller in all formats!

Just kidding.

Still looks like Motte/Sanchez exacta box here, and I guess Salas is 3rd, and nothing else to see here...
        Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-29-2011, 10:17 PM.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Dodgers up 3-1 in the 8th, here comes Padilla.
          Hundley down 0-2, works out a 9-pitch walk.
          EPatterson whiffs.
          Maybin walk.
          Bartlett DP, inning over.

For the 9th and Broxton, 1st 3 scheduled batters under .200 and first 5 under .235.

Broxton vs Murderers Row:
          Ludwick whiffs
          Cantu grounds out
          Venable single, to 2nd on preposterous fielder's indifference (wait, it's not 20-0, so a grounder in the hole means you wish you'd have thrown to 2nd base there a minute before, what with the tying run now at the plate?)
          Hudson single to score the indifferent runner, and it's 3-2
          Headley single, so 1st and 3rd (good thing Dodgers stopped being indifferent, lol)

Hundley lines out to end it, and Broxton is BACK, BABY!

ok, maybe not...

from an HQ poster watching it:

"Nick Hundley hits a frozen rope with two on only to see Tony Gwynn make a diving catch fully extended to preserve the save for Broxton in a 3-2 Dodger win Friday night."
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-30-2011, 12:32 AM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Yeah, Mattingly made a smart defensive sub putting Gwynn in late. He doesn't make that move, Broxton owners are singing a muuuuch different tune this a.m.
            12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
            1B-Cron
            2B- Villar
            SS- Andrus
            3B-Baez
            MI-L. Gurriel
            CI- Y.Gurriel
            OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
            UTIL- Benintendi
            BENCH: Pence, Dyson
            SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
            RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
            IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
              Boggs is $3F, which means if I want to keep him next year he would be $8 and can only be kept for one year. I realize he has more value now, but I'm wondering if long term Meek is the better option. I'm already tied for first in saves but I guess if Boggs does well and runs away with the job I'll have a better trading chip than a potential closer-in-waiting in Meek. I've been under the impression that Meek would be the closer in the second half and I think the Boggs owner thinks that as well. He also want to get his hands on my $2 Luebke, this is a 13 team NL only league.
              I am the owner of Hanrahan, Meek, and Franklin. I bought Boggs for $10 with my FAAB money. I made an off season trade to get both Meek and Hanrahan gambling that I end up with one full time closer when Hanrahan gets traded this year (he signed 1 yr arb) and maybe two if he is traded as a closer. I expected Franklin to hang on. With the recent events I am not sure if I make the trade you are suggesting. I guess it would depend on your other closer contracts for next year.

Comment

• I just saw on rotoworld that Meek is going to the DL to get his arm strength back. This could be a good thing for those of us who want him to be the closer of the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post
                  So Larussa brought in Boggs in the 8th when the Cards were down 3-2. Then after the Cards tie the game up he brings in Sanchez. Can we make anything out of this?

Sanchez K's 3 in 2 innings including Heyward and McCann.
                  I think Boggs is still the primary man for the closer spot. Boggs hadn't pitched in 2 days and LaRussa probably figured Atl wouldn't bat in the bottom of the ninth since Kimbrel would be coming in to close/pitch for Atl. Thus, Boggs needed to get some work and it looked like the 8th might be the last opportunity.

Boggs' second pitch to Uggla hit 100 on the gun. His FBs to Freeman hit 99 once and 97 the other 2 times. His slider was thrown at 85. His pitches to Gonzalez were 94 - 97 mph.

Sanchez has shown the ability to effectively pitch 2 innings and LaRussa has used him that way 3 times so far this season. It's pretty valuable having someone come in and shut the other team down for 2 innings of relief.

Edit- wow, Boggs pitching the 7th inning today against Atl's 7, 8 and 9 hitters?
                  Last edited by ; 04-30-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Southcoast View Post
                    Edit- wow, Boggs pitching the 7th inning today against Atl's 7, 8 and 9 hitters?
                    I'm officially lost on this situation. Sanchez is the only guy I own out of this pen but doesn't seem like Boggs did anything to deserve 7 inning non-leveraged situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I just saw on rotoworld that Meek is going to the DL to get his arm strength back. This could be a good thing for those of us who want him to be the closer of the future.
                      It could also be a good thing for those of us who want Chris Resop to be closer of the future

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                        It could also be a good thing for those of us who want Chris Resop to be closer of the future
                        resop's stuff was filthy last night. impressive.
                        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Roy Halladay sleeps with his closer. So does his wife...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Halladay is just ridiculous. Bottom of the 7th, men on first and second, no out in a 1-1 game, and Halladay batting? How many pitchers don't get pinch hit for there? Ninth inning, walk the leadoff man on four pitches in a 2-1 game with the 4-5-6 hitters coming up? He stays in and gets them all.

(also, his first two innings: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 K, 11 pitches)
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Halladay is the first pitcher to open a game with 18 consecutive strikes since Sid Fernandez in 1991 - THAT is a cool stat.

He figures to win several more games than rivals because of games like this, and don't think I don't appreciate it!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Resounding endorsement of Salas in the AP post-game story:

"He's the guy who was available today," said LaRussa of Salas.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X