Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11 Jeff Niemann

Thoughts on him this year?

He was having a nice first half until a shoulder injury, a horrific strand rate, and the results thereafter destroyed his second half. Most projections have him with an ERA in the low 4s and modest win totals. It seemed he was taking a progressive step forward on his nice 2009 debut when everything fell apart.

It seems Shandler has the highest expectations of him with 14 wins and an ERA under 4.00. For some reason, I think there is potential here. His xERA doesn't seem to support his first half, but I think he's a guy who could post 15 wins from his No3 slot with an ERA around 3.75 and 7.0 k/9. His second half tanked his 2010 control rate, and I'm thinking a healthy Niemann equals a walk rate near 1H numbers. If that's the case, it would make sense that a solid WHIP will follow.

I'm thinking: 15W, 3.75 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 200 IP, 155-160 K.

Here are some http://theprocessreport.com/2011/02/...is-a-garfoose/

Comment

He throws a decent amount of ground balls (and according to J's post, also gets a lot of pop-ups). I think he can be one of those guys who consistently outperforms his xFIP/FIP, but I'm not sure. Last year he got bitten by a high HR/FB rate (12.2%) after he was very good at keeping the ball in the park in 2009 (7.6%). I can see why Shandler likes him - take the 2009 HR/FB and the 2010 BABIP and there's something really good there. Can he put it all together? The flip side of that argument is that if you take the 2010 HR/FB and the 2009 BABIP, that's not a pitcher you want.

Comment

Working...
      X