league-wide K%....climbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• league-wide K%....climbing

Its the strike zone. The umps are calling higher pitches for strikes. Just my eyeball analysis, but there it is.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I think it's the relievers.

Comment

Attached Files
        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Just like Todd to bring facts.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I happened to have the data -- it's all part of a BABIP project that I am working on but will never finish.

Comment

to Todd's point, something I came up today while helping Jonah Keri out for his Grantland piece

Comment

Lower the mound!
                I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

A lot of it is mindset. Who cares if Dunn is 1-4 with 3 Ks as long as he hit a HR. 40 years ago that guy sat on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                    A lot of it is mindset. Who cares if Dunn is 1-4 with 3 Ks as long as he hit a HR. 40 years ago that guy sat on the bench.
                    Unless he was Dave Kingman.

Comment

Probably also a factor in the uptick in no-hitters and perfect games.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Actually 40 years ago that guy played. The guy that sat in the bench was the 1-4 with a single and a walk. It's only been in the Bill James era that strikeouts are considered evil. Back then, an out was an out. Ask Reggie.

As for more no-hitters and perfectos, and/or the argument better pitching versus weaker hitting, my vote goes to better defense, or at least improved positioning and awareness of hitter weakness from the huge advancement in data collection and analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                          Actually 40 years ago that guy played. The guy that sat in the bench was the 1-4 with a single and a walk. It's only been in the Bill James era that strikeouts are considered evil. Back then, an out was an out. Ask Reggie.

As for more no-hitters and perfectos, and/or the argument better pitching versus weaker hitting, my vote goes to better defense, or at least improved positioning and awareness of hitter weakness from the huge advancement in data collection and analysis.
                          But look at the top 10 guys. Reggie, Stargell, 1 other guy in the 70s I think. All others from 90s or late 80s. If Ks are only evil now but not 40 years ago how come all these guys playing now are striking out so much? I will believe that the use of relievers now vs. 40 years ago is a cause. But I still think no one cares as much if you get 160 Ks in a year anymore.

Comment

But look at the top 10 guys. Reggie, Stargell, 1 other guy in the 70s I think. All others from 90s or late 80s. If Ks are only evil now but not 40 years ago how come all these guys playing now are striking out so much? I will believe that the use of relievers now vs. 40 years ago is a cause. But I still think no one cares as much if you get 160 Ks in a year anymore.
                            Since we have another thread on the batters, this was handy.

1. Reggie Jackson+ (21) 2597 L
                            2. Jim Thome (22, 41) 2534 L
                            3. Sammy Sosa (18) 2306 R
                            4. Andres Galarraga (19) 2003 R
                            5. Alex Rodriguez (19, 36) 2000 R
                            6. Adam Dunn (12, 32) 1979 L
                            7. Jose Canseco (17) 1942 R
                            8. Willie Stargell+ (21) 1936 L
                            9. Mike Cameron (17) 1901 R
                            10. Mike Schmidt+ (18) 1883 R

Reggie, Sarge, Schmidt, all HoF. The rest are post Quisenberry.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                              Since we have another thread on the batters, this was handy.

1. Reggie Jackson+ (21) 2597 L
                              2. Jim Thome (22, 41) 2534 L
                              3. Sammy Sosa (18) 2306 R
                              4. Andres Galarraga (19) 2003 R
                              5. Alex Rodriguez (19, 36) 2000 R
                              6. Adam Dunn (12, 32) 1979 L
                              7. Jose Canseco (17) 1942 R
                              8. Willie Stargell+ (21) 1936 L
                              9. Mike Cameron (17) 1901 R
                              10. Mike Schmidt+ (18) 1883 R

Reggie, Sarge, Schmidt, all HoF. The rest are post Quisenberry.

J
                              "Sarge"? I think you mean "Pops" when you refer to the late, great (if defensively somewhat challenged) Wilver Dornel Stargell.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X