X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and now Troy Tulowitzki to the DL

Rockies place Tulo on DL with left groin strain

BRING BACK PEDS!

LOL, this has definitely been the year of the DL. I have a Mixed team and an AL team that have been utterly decimated with injuries.

Comment

Let me preface this by saying I don't cheer for anyone to get injured, even players on the Cubs.

However, from a purely fantasy baseball standpoint, if you're in a serious, deep league, this type of year really separates the men from the boys. If you're in a FAAB league, budgeting is critical this year to make sure you're able to fill holes. If you're in a league with reserves, figuring out which ones will get the most PT and/or give your lineup the greatest flexibility is more important this year. Who are the key minor leaguers who will come up and actually get PT if someone gets hurt? Who plays multiple positions while not completely sucking at the same time? Does it make sense to replace my injured starter with a higher-risk, lower tier starter, or a quality MR? And so on....point being, the smart and hard-working players on average will be rewarded this year.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        However, from a purely fantasy baseball standpoint, if you're in a serious, deep league, this type of year really separates the men from the boys.
        I agree to an extent, but this could also be the year that someone wins your league undeservedly because he was lucky enough to not get hit with a serious injury.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          I think that's exactly what happens to deep leagues when injuries hit hard like this. In most only leagues (well, mine at least), there are NO replacements available at all. When guys go down on my team's offense, I can choose from a total of about 10 players on the waiver wire (assuming I can FAAB enough for whatever crap player of the 10 I'm targeting) and none of them are anywhere near adequate. We're talking 9 backup catchers and a 61 year old Julio Franco type of pickins.
          Yep, here's the top 7 FA by AB available in my 12 team NL only, 5 of which happen to be Houston Astros!

Johnson, Reed LF CHC 0.2597 0.3214 0.4286
          Snyder, Chris C HOU 0.1867 0.2989 0.3467
          Theriot, Ryan SS SF 0.2027 0.2500 0.2432
          Buck, Travis RF HOU 0.2162 0.2840 0.3108
          Maxwell, Justin CF HOU 0.2319 0.3250 0.4058
          Downs, Matt 2B HOU 0.1538 0.2143 0.3538
          Gonzalez, Marwin SS HOU0.2344 0.2687 0.3281

hey, I might pick up Reed Johnson!
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

can you say LUCK?
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              The most at bats out of that list is Alex Gonzalez with 81. Good luck FAABing your way out of a Troy Tulowitzki or Matt Kemp injury there, eh? Imagine if your 1B was injured (like Berkman for me, for example). There are exactly zero replacements available. No first basemen or third basemen available at all.
              End your suffering, stick with mixed leagues.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                +1. Only leagues blow.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                  +1. Only leagues blow.
                  Chess to checkers

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                    Chess to checkers
                    Keep telling yourself that.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

It's not very chess-like if you can't make any moves at all.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        It's not very chess-like if you can't make any moves at all.
                        zugzwang

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          zugzwang
                          I wonder how many of us actually know what that means....BTW, you still playing chess seriously?
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, Troy Tulowitzki (groin) will be out at least six weeks.
                            Tulo is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery on Thursday in Philadelphia to remove scar tissue from a nerve in his groin. The Rockies can't be sure how quickly the 27-year-old shortstop will recover from the procedure. He seems certain to miss the entire month of July.
                            Source: Denver Post Jun 20 - 5:51 PM

Comment

I have this guy as a keeper in my 5 player keeper league knowing he will miss time every year.
                              I refuse to trade him due to his talent and lack of depth at SS...frankly I think I'm over him!
                              When he comes back healthy i will try to shop him to the highest bidder. I'm tired of him ALWAYS being hurt for a good portion of the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X