2K12: Paul Konerko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12: Paul Konerko

this guy just keeps on getting better and better. And every year around draft time, I say to myself, this is the year he drops off; don't get schnookered. And I get schnookered by not drafting a 2nd round talent in the 6th round.

He's currently leading the majors in BA at .386 and is also leading in OBP. And I didn't hear much about it, but he hit his 400th HR earlier this month and is starting to have pretty gaudy career numbers.

In a few more years, we'll all be thinking the Dodgers trade of him for Jeff Shaw is right up there with Bagwell for Larry Andersen or Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.

minor note - he's 2nd in the majors. Wright is back over .400 (and was .399 before today's game)
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      minor note - he's 2nd in the majors. Wright is back over .400 (and was .399 before today's game)
      yeah, meant AL. Whatever, he just keeps on ticking.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        In a few more years, we'll all be thinking the Dodgers trade of him for Jeff Shaw is right up there with Bagwell for Larry Andersen or Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.
        It was Konerko, a "failed" C/3B prospect, and Denys Reyes for Shaw, and most folks thought it was a good deal for the Dodgers, who needed (and got) a solid closer. Give the Reds some 'credit", too, as they traded Konerko for Mike Cameron, then a year later Cameron and The Anti-Christ for Ken Griffey Jr. What I'm trying to say is that neither trade was that bad IMO.

Sometimes you just don't know what you've got in the young guy you trade for the veteran; ask Tiger fans (minor leaguer John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander, who went 9-0 down the stretch to win a division title).
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          It was Konerko, a "failed" C/3B prospect, and Denys Reyes for Shaw, and most folks thought it was a good deal for the Dodgers, who needed (and got) a solid closer. Give the Reds some 'credit", too, as they traded Konerko for Mike Cameron, then a year later Cameron and The Anti-Christ for Ken Griffey Jr. What I'm trying to say is that neither trade was that bad IMO.

Sometimes you just don't know what you've got in the young guy you trade for the veteran; ask Tiger fans (minor leaguer John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander, who went 9-0 down the stretch to win a division title).
          Konerko was far from a "failed C/3B prospect" at the time of that trade. He was 22 years old and was Baseball America's #2 rated prospect heading into the '98 season. He made the team but did little in April, so they demoted him for a month, where he mashed in AAA. He was recalled but played sporadically, and then Tommy Lasorda -- possibly the only worse Dodger GM than Kevin Malone -- traded him for a closer, who they did need. But Shaw had only been a closer for a year and was already 31. Lasorda was incredibly short-sighted -- and may also have been swayed into believing Konerko had degenerative hips -- and the Reds schnookered him.

But, as you say, the Reds deserve credit for trading him away as well, although in the Reds favor they didn't view him as a catcher, and had a young Sean Casey blocking him at 1B. Apparently Konerko's agent demanded a trade after he was demoted after just 3 weeks with the Reds, and the Reds had a ton of suitors for him.

Hey, it could've been worse, as the Dayton News reported in November 1998:
          "The Mets, as are many teams, are interested in first baseman/outfielder Paul Konerko and the Reds could offer a Konerko/Reggie Sanders package for Todd Hundley."

Comment

The average is totally unsustainable...his BABIP is .421 when his career BABIP is .284. He's due for a pretty serious correction. The power numbers are obviously for real, but if you don't want to take the fall, might be time to sell....
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

It's interesting that he's gotten better with age. He had his best seasons at ages 34 and 35, and his age 36 season just may be his best yet. I still think he'll be a much more interesting HOF case than others do.

Comment

I decided not to extend him beyond this year and at this pace he's making that decision look very foolish.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Didnt want to start a new Konerko thread so dug this one up....

Is Konerko looking like he's finally finished being on a mixed league roster? Everything has gone in the wrong direction. K up, BB down, GB up, ISO down, HR/F down. At 37, maybe he's finally nearing the end?

I've been watching Moreland for a while and its kind of strange he's still available in my moderate to slightly shallow depth mixed league but after the 2 HR game last night he's going to get picked up.

Too early to swap Konerko or Moreland? Usually I practice excruciating patience but with 1/4 of the season done, maybe its time to jump?
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

Is Konerko looking like he's finally finished being on a mixed league roster? Everything has gone in the wrong direction. K up, BB down, GB up, ISO down, HR/F down. At 37, maybe he's finally nearing the end?

I've been watching Moreland for a while and its kind of strange he's still available in my moderate to slightly shallow depth mixed league but after the 2 HR game last night he's going to get picked up.

Too early to swap Konerko or Moreland? Usually I practice excruciating patience but with 1/4 of the season done, maybe its time to jump?
                    I picked up Moreland yesterday. I would definitely take a chance on him over Konerko.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Konerko's numbers went bad as soon as this jink thread was posted last year.

2012:
                      June .241/.323/.373
                      July .301/.365/.419
                      August .231/.282/.397
                      September .242/.321/.411

His BB rate and isoPower are both down going back to June of last season, that's a bad combo for a guy who just turned 37.
                      people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post

Moreland has been red hot of late, so perhaps in a moderately-sized league, I'd dump Konerko for him.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Moreland has been red hot of late, so perhaps in a moderately-sized league, I'd dump Konerko for him.
                          Moreland's been getting a ton of press in the last week or so from almost all analyst sites I've seen. He's about to go from less than 50% owned in many shallow leagues to nearly all grabbed up, I'd wager.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                            Moreland's been getting a ton of press in the last week or so from almost all analyst sites I've seen. He's about to go from less than 50% owned in many shallow leagues to nearly all grabbed up, I'd wager.
                            I'm tempted to drop Frazier for him, would that be dumb?
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              I'm tempted to drop Frazier for him, would that be dumb?
                              I'm tempted to agree with you.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                              X