Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Twins 2012... Ineptitude Personified!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Twins 2012... Ineptitude Personified!

I figure if a team like the Padres can get a thread of it's own that currently runs 10 pages, a team for the ages like the Twins surely deserves on of it's own. I believe that they are currently on pace for something like 120 losses, and they have the rare combination of bad luck and no skills to keep them going. Here's the latest tidbit

Buster Olney ‏ @Buster_ESPN
    ELIAS: The Twins have nine hits in their last four games, the fewest for any team in a four-game stretch in modern major-league history.
    But don't fret...once they place Morneau on the DL, and send Hendricks down, both several days late, BTW, they'll call up Scott Diamond and Brian Dozier to take their places...Oy.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

what happened with this once-perennial playoff team? In your opinion, what was the penultimate mistake? A mega-contract for a popular catcher with kind of empty stats? The Santana trade?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      what happened with this once-perennial playoff team? In your opinion, what was the penultimate mistake? A mega-contract for a popular catcher with kind of empty stats? The Santana trade?
      The big deal to me is that they stopped paying the proper amount of attention to the farm system once they became successful. There seems to be about a 4-5 year gap between good classes in the system, they have some really good players at single "A" level, but absolutely nothing in the AA or AAA levels.

And the big contracts killed them of course, but they were really in a hard place with Mauer...he's the face of the franchise, and everyone was clamoring for him to be signed, no matter what the cost. They he has a crappy year and they boo him...expecting 25 HR's 100 RBI, and a .330 averge every year. That's simply not the kind of player he is. And Morneau is tragic, because I don't think that he ever can come back to anything near what he once was. The Santana deal hurt a lot, simply because they got nothing out of it...if they would have hit on ONE major league average player, it would have been OK, or if they'd have kept Hardy instead of dealing him off, it would have helped, but they didn't.

Cheap ownership, bad luck, and bad management all lead to this being a club that's likely to be in the cellar for several years to come.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Contrary to what many others seemed to be saying, I thought they were the worst team in the AL on opening day and so far they're proving me right.

Comment

Working...
        X