First Auction League: Need help. NL only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Auction League: Need help. NL only

This is my first auction league and I just took over for a really bad team. I have a plan and looking for some insight. It is a $260 Budget and I need to keep 7. Anyone below with a 2S is in their option year. Extending a player increases the salary by $5 a year.

Pos Name (Team) Sal Contract
    C Hernandez, Ramon (COL - C) $9 2S
    C Johnson, Rob (NYM - C) $5 3S
    1B Giambi, Jason (COL - 1B) $10 3S
    2B empty Off
    3B Harrison, Josh (PIT - 3B) $10 3S
    SS Janish, Paul (CIN - SS) $10 2S
    CR Martinez, Michael (PHI - 2B) $20 3S
    MI Drew, Stephen (ARI - SS) $21 3S
    OF Berkman, Lance (STL - 1B) $17 3S
    OF Constanza, Jose (ATL - OF) $20 3S
    OF Hairston, Scott (NYM - OF) $2 3S
    OF Pagan, Angel (SFO - OF) $10 2S
    OF Stanton, Giancarlo (MIA - OF) $5 2S
    UT Rolen, Scott (CIN - 3B) $16 3S
    Res Castro, Jason (HOU - C) $5 2S
    Res LaRoche, Adam (WAS - 1B) $23 3S
    Res McLouth, Nate (PIT - OF) $12 3S
    Pitchers
    Pos Name (Team) Sal Contract
    P Bastardo, Antonio (PHI) $1 3S
    P Hawksworth, Blake (LAD) O $1 3S
    P Morton, Charlie (PIT) DTD $10 3S
    P Romo, Sergio (SFO) $1 2S
    P Vogelsong, Ryan (SFO) DTD $10 3S
    P Wolf, Randy (MIL) $2 3S
    P Wood, Travis (CHN) $10 3S

AS OF RIGHT NOW I PLAN ON EXTENDING STANTON TO $20 AND SERGIO ROMO TO $6

In addition, I plan on keeping Berkman $17, Pagan $10, Bastardo $1, Wolf $2.

That leaves me one keeper short. I was thinking either Hernandez $9 or Vogelsong $10 but neither gets me too excited. Thoughts? Suggestions?

For my 7th, I'd go Vogelsong, and the rest are exactly how I'd play it except that I'd consider NOT extending Romo based on the usual volatility of relievers from one year to the next, but $6 is not that big of a deal and if Wilson goes down, he will get those save opps. I can see it either way.

How many teams in your league? If this is a 12-team league, your keeper list is pretty good, with Stanton and Berkman being stud keepers, and the others being above average. If your league has 10 (or fewer) owners, you are screwed.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. The more I look it over, I think you may be right in regards to not being a bad team.

It is a 14 team league. I was leaning Vogelsong as well. I was planning on extending Romo with the obvious hopes of claiming the closer role. Saves are hard to come by with 14 teams.

Thanks again for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Oh it's bad team, a very bad team. But the good news is it has some nice keepers. And you have picked them out. Now you can build a good team around these keepers.

It looks like 7 is the minimum for keeps. What is the max? Hopefully there will be plenty of players back in the auction for you to spend all that cash on.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Milos View Post
          Thanks for the feedback. The more I look it over, I think you may be right in regards to not being a bad team.

It is a 14 team league. I was leaning Vogelsong as well. I was planning on extending Romo with the obvious hopes of claiming the closer role. Saves are hard to come by with 14 teams.

Thanks again for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
          Is that a typo? 14 teams in an NL only is very deep.

Comment

Not a typo. It is 14 teams. Very Deep. That is why I am interested in extending Romo due to the finite number of starting closers and his probability to close games within two years.

Max is 13 keepers btw and there are a handful of studs available. I appreciate all the input.

Comment

In a 14-team NL only league (wow..), I'd extend Romo and keep Vogelsong, Bastardo, and Ramon Hernandez in addition to the ones you've noted.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Milos View Post
                Not a typo. It is 14 teams. Very Deep. That is why I am interested in extending Romo due to the finite number of starting closers and his probability to close games within two years.

Max is 13 keepers btw and there are a handful of studs available. I appreciate all the input.
                That is gonna suck big time when you lose the Astros.

But in addition to the players you've named i would also consider Bastardo if he's healthy.

Comment

I think you have all the right moves covered. I don't think you need to fear Hernandez at $9.Worse money has been spent on that wretched position! It is a good thing you don't have to play the season on that crew, though! Nice keepers and some okay ones, but you are in good shape, I think.
                  Bearin' up!

Comment

In that deep a league, Hernandez for $9 is a good deal. Think about the slugs that are going to be bought when people are trying to fill their C1 slot, let alone C2.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Working...
                    X