X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more uncommon

The unassisted triple play
    3K9 - 9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 outs

Bonus question, has either occured in World Series play?

J
    unassisted triple play
    0%
    3K9 - 9 pitches, 9 strikes, 3 outs
    0%
    Purple Grapefruit
    0%
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Good question, OJH...had to look it up so I won't skew the results but found a link with the 3 outs on 9 strikes...

Spoiler alert in white below: Interesting list...

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats17.shtml
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

My guess is 3K9.

I would guess unassisted triple play has been done in a WS.

Comment

Mmm...purple grapefruit...

Comment

I would guess that the 3K9 would be more common than the unassisted triple play. It seems like the number of UTPs is somewhere between 20 and 30, but I'd think 3K9s happen fairly regularly. If not starters, then dominant relievers might pull it off.

I once saw Lee Smith pitch in a AA game, and as best I recall he retired the side on nine pitches, all Ks.

Comment

No takers on the WS question?

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              No takers on the WS question?

J
              Look at post #3.

Comment

An unassisted triple play was instrumental in getting the World Series back in the public graces after the Black Sox scandal of 1919. Cleveland beat Brooklyn in 1920, 5 games to 2 (best of 9). Game 5 was landmark, having the first Grand slam in WS history and Bill Wambsganss unassisted triple play.

The 3K9 I watched. I suspect Kevin Seitzer was also. Danny Jackson was totally dominating with the Royals down 3 games to 1. Here is the play by play.

Bottom of the 7th, Cardinals Batting, Behind 1-4, Royals' Danny Jackson facing 7-8-9
                b7 1-4 0 --- 3,(0-2) FCS O STL T. Pendleton D. Jackson 2% 92% Strikeout Swinging
                b7 1-4 1 --- 3,(0-2) LFC O STL T. Nieto D. Jackson 2% 93% Strikeout Looking
                Brian Harper pinch hits for Todd Worrell (P) batting 9th

b7 1-4 2 --- 3,(0-2) FFS O STL B. Harper D. Jackson 1% 94% Strikeout Swinging
                0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB. Royals 4, Cardinals 1.
                Kansas City Royals beat St. Louis Cardinals (6-1). Oct 24, 1985, Attendance: 53634, Time of Game: 2:52. Visit Baseball-Reference.com for the complete box score, play-by-play, and win probability

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                X