Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were Mike Rizzo....(Zimmerman related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were Mike Rizzo....(Zimmerman related)

given these facts:
    Ryan Zimmerman's injuries
    Zimmerman is the face of the Nats
    Anthony Rendon
    Contract expected cost
    The need for a CF (Upton anyone)

Do you extend Zimmerman?

When is his contract up? Can I wait 3 months to make sure Strasburg's elbow is intact?

Comment

I don't unless he's giving me a good deal. He's signed through 2013, so they have all off-season to work something out if Zimm finally puts it all together.

Comment

I would wait until mid season.

I do not like it when a player says they will not negotiate once the season starts. They do not negotiate their agents do. If he is playing well I offer him a mid season fat contract extension. If he says no I trade him. He is not the boss of me.

Comment

If I were Mike Rizzo, I'd do whatever Adam Cromie and Sam Cohen told me I should do.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I don't see the rush. I wouldn't worry about it until 2013 at the soonest. I don't think Zimmerman is the 10 year/ 200 million type of player anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
              I don't see the rush. I wouldn't worry about it until 2013 at the soonest. I don't think Zimmerman is the 10 year/ 200 million type of player anyway.
              I agree with Jon... Zimmerman has been a tremendous crowd favorite here in DC-- a huge Fathead decal of him is on the wall in my kids' bedroom-- but his agent is tryign to leverage that now before he gets eclipsed by Strasburg & Harper to get an outsize deal done. Be amicable, tell Zimm that they agree that the middle of the season isn;t the right time to do this and agree to revisit after 2012 is over.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Not for what he's likely asking for, I'd offer him a deal through 2014 or 2015 so he can still hit FA if he wishes at age 30 or 31. IIRC Rendon has the ability to move to 2B so there is room for both on the roster, but Zimm needs to earn the big deal he wants.

Comment

Maybe Mike Rizzo needs Anthony Rizzo.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
                    Not for what he's likely asking for, I'd offer him a deal through 2014 or 2015 so he can still hit FA if he wishes at age 30 or 31. IIRC Rendon has the ability to move to 2B so there is room for both on the roster, but Zimm needs to earn the big deal he wants.
                    I'm not at all convinced that Rendon can or should move to 2B. He's had injury issues (particularly ankle issues) and one hard slide could end his career. I'd rather see them stick Zim at 1B if they are insistent on keeping him around.

Comment

Or you could sign him to a 6 year extension. That's what buster olney is reporting the Nats did yesterday

Comment

I guess the Rendon SS experiment may be more real now.

Comment

I think 6 years/100 mil is a fair deal for both sides, especially with 10 mi deferred as a personal services deal after his retirement. If he was a bit more reliable (health-wise) he could argue that he probably deserved more per year. But I think this is a good compromise. If I were Rizzo I would have capped the deal at five years but six years-plus is starting to be a typical contract length ( I have no idea why).

As for Rendon, I'd keep him at third until there is a reason to move him. Lots of folks seem to think that Morse is a lock to move to first base when Harper arrives for good, but Morse is also a very tradable ( I think I just made that word up) guy. I think the key is how Werth performs in center field.

Comment

Good deal for both sides, Zimm would be gambling by not taking his big deal now because another injury plagued year or 2 and he'll never see the big pay day. This also assures all of his prime years are in Washington.

I'm sure the 1B-LF-3B issues will sort themselves out. If all of Morse, Harper, Zimm, and Rendon are healthy, productive, and ready but none are fits at other positions they have a trade piece. Chances are one of them will be hurt or ineffective though, they're just covered if that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
                              I guess the Rendon SS experiment may be more real now.
                              Okay, but where does he realistically end up? Can anyone really see him playing SS? And Espinosa looks pretty good at 2b. Rendon's value is significant'y different, depending on what position he ends up at in the majors. Anyone want to rank the likely of him ending up at various positions? I know folks have mentioned trades, but who gets moved? Certainly not Zimmerman, so I imagine 3b is out. Espinosa, if he continues to perform, is a no as well, although I suppose they could move him to SS--he's at least played SS before and was supposed to be decent at it. That would free up 2b.

Comment

Working...
                              X