No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
    You are taking a BIG chance that you will get Mauer. I hate to pigeon-hole myself into having to rely on any single player being available for me.

I agree that average is a bit fluky, no doubt. But you are also getting 25-30 HR from Cano and a combined 200-220 runs+RBI so it is not like you are taking a guy with average as his primary contribution like, I don't know -- Joe Mauer?

If you want to play the pick out a year to prove your point game (setting aside the risk Mauer even returns to form), in 2007, he was as "off" from where he "should have been" as much as Cano was in 2008.
    Certainly not pigeon holing myself into Mauer either, but given what I've seen of his adp I think he's going to be a reasonable target. Kendrick and Michael Young are two others that immediately come to mind too. If you take a bunch of guys that project between 280 and 295 then it doesn't matter as much, but if you take a Stanton or an Uggla it isn't like there aren't avg options later on at reasonable prices.

In the end, Cano just doesn't give you the potential early lead you need in round 1. I won't speak for you guys but I couldn't care less if I finish 3rd or 12th if I don't win. Cano doesn't give me that upside. He's really good bordering on great, but not elite. It's why I always bought him every year. Until last year. He's a great 2nd fiddle, but he's not an anchor. By taking him as early as he commands you're decreasing your margin for error as you go along. His best year just won't compete with the best year from a Miggy, Pujols, Votto, Prince, A Gonz, Bautista, Kemp, Upton, Tulo, etc. Not all of those guys will hit, but at least a few of them will and the Cano owner is already playing from behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Porcello View Post
      His best year just won't compete with the best year from a Miggy, Pujols, Votto, Prince, A Gonz, Bautista, Kemp, Upton, Tulo, etc. Not all of those guys will hit, but at least a few of them will and the Cano owner is already playing from behind them.
      This is an interesting point and really comes down to a matter of philosophy.

Given that 70% of first rounders do not return first round value (I play mostly 15 team leagues, but let's use 12 for sake of argument), that is 3 or 4 first rounders picked in March that return 1st round value come October.

I happen to believe that Cano, Albert and Miggy are the three surest bets for 1st round value.

My personal decision is would I rather be ahead of 9 owners but behind 2 or take the chance that one those three do not return first round value, and I am the lucky guy that owns the player that knocks him out.

Obviously, I like my "Cano odds" better than my "1 in 9" odds. I'll take my chances being able to make up the lost ground over just 2 owners with my ensuing 22 picks than having to possibly do it for many more owners.

FWIW, 70% is not made up, it is the actual number tracking the past several years inventory.
      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

I took Cano with the 9th overall pick in my First Pitch Arizona 15 team mixed, and was pretty pleased.
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
        X