No announcement yet.

How good a manager is Bobby Valentine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good a manager is Bobby Valentine?

From the LoHud Yankees Blog:

James’ Pythagorean standings break down the metrics of a team (the biggest numbers being runs scored and runs allowed) to produce a sum of expected victories. In a small sample, the formula can be argued. But looking at manager’s careers, it seems a reliable tool that takes the bias out of the equation.
    Twice hired in mid-season and once fired in mid-season, Valentine has compiled a plus-23 Pythagorean rating in his 12 full seasons managing the Rangers and Mets — an average of plus-1.9.
    How good is that? In Tony La Russa’s 31 full seasons with the White Sox, A’s and Cardinals, he was a plus-23 — an average of plus-0.7. In Bobby Cox’s 27 full seasons with the Blue Jays and Braves, he was a plus-16 — an average of plus-0.6.

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
    I read somewhere yesterday (Hardball Times?) that his teams always have high K/9 numbers and despite his big personality, he doesn't overmanage. He does apparently love pinch hitters. I think it said something like his starters finished the least amount of games under him compared to other managers.

I watched his Red Sox Town Hall meeting and he was really good, but what a stark contrast to Terry Francona.

Also, if you listen, Ben Cherington sounds EXACTLY like Theo Epstein. It's uncanny.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

And he's FUN! I wish he were managing the Mets again.

Comment

He's abrasive and annoying, and I have experienced this side of him personally.
        Eventually, he drives the players nuts.

But he is an excellent in-game manager, no question.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Good job, Bobby, you've turned two of your stars against you already.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

This team is a mess and I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. I think they're gonna have to blow it all up and start fresh with maybe just Pedroia and Gonzalez and go from there. But that is going to be hard with the new cap rules, what appears like it could be fewer free agents in the future, more competition for free agents, CC's contract, and a somewhat weak and depleted farm system. I just don't see much direction here, and it's breaking my heart.

They'll still win some games this year due to their payroll, despite themselves, but they appear to be worse than last year both on and off the field. They have a very recent Mets-ian feel to them right now. Actually, I do see a direction, but it's not a good one, at least for them.
            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Alert the media. TopChuckie talking smack about the Red Sox. I think he's worse about it this year because he realizes that the Yankees have issues of their own. At this point, I think the Rays are probably the best team in the AL East.

Comment

When Phil Jackson or Bill Parcells does this sort of thing, calling out the focus/commitment of a player in a public interview, it's considered motivational genius. It seems like that sort of thing is taboo in baseball, although I'm not sure why it is or should be any different from the NBA/NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                  When Phil Jackson or Bill Parcells does this sort of thing, calling out the focus/commitment of a player in a public interview, it's considered motivational genius. It seems like that sort of thing is taboo in baseball, although I'm not sure why it is or should be any different from the NBA/NFL.
                  Who knows, if Youk goes on a tear this week, Bobby V. might be called a motivational genius, too. That being said, given that it was Bobby V., he was probably just shooting his mouth off.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    Alert the media. TopChuckie talking smack about the Red Sox. I think he's worse about it this year because he realizes that the Yankees have issues of their own. At this point, I think the Rays are probably the best team in the AL East.
                    Hey, I don't remember saying much of anything during their collapse last season. Just watching it happen was joy enough. Now I'm just trying to get out ahead of the crash so when it happens again I will have said my piece and just sit back and enjoy again.

I have far more confidence in this Yankees team than last season's, but I also recognize Tampa as a greater challenge, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't hate Tampa like I do the Red Sox, in fact I wish they were in a different division as they are my "local" team and I would like to be able to root for them. Their pitching is superior, but I think the Yanks pitching will be right there, and the gap between pitching is not as big as the gap on offense SHOULD be if the Yanks started hitting like they should with runners in scoring position, and if Tex ever gets his sh!t together. I think it will be a good race that could go either way, and Toronto might make it even more interesting, but I certainly don't think the Yankees issues are greater than they were at this time last year.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                      Hey, I don't remember saying much of anything during their collapse last season. Just watching it happen was joy enough. Now I'm just trying to get out ahead of the crash so when it happens again I will have said my piece and just sit back and enjoy again.

I have far more confidence in this Yankees team than last season's, but I also recognize Tampa as a greater challenge, and I'm looking forward to it. I don't hate Tampa like I do the Red Sox, in fact I wish they were in a different division as they are my "local" team and I would like to be able to root for them. Their pitching is superior, but I think the Yanks pitching will be right there, and the gap between pitching is not as big as the gap on offense SHOULD be if the Yanks started hitting like they should with runners in scoring position, and if Tex ever gets his sh!t together. I think it will be a good race that could go either way, and Toronto might make it even more interesting, but I certainly don't think the Yankees issues are greater than they were at this time last year.
                      That's the danger with the Yankees, however. The pitching may or may not be good. Sabathia is good, and Kuroda should be fine. The rest has upside, but serious question marks. The offense is getting old, and is heavily reliant on many older players who are clearly on the downside of their careers. Plenty of talent, yes, but lots of question marks. Remember, the Red Sox sucked at the start of last year, too, and they are basically the same team they were last year. The Ellsbury injury is going to hurt, but the offense there is still pretty good, especially if they get Crawford back relatively soon and he is back to being himself. The Red Sox pitching is a giant question mark, but it was for most of last year when they were winning, too. As you mention, Toronto is getting better. The AL East is going to be a big mess this year, I think. Then again, the NL East is a big mess for my Braves, too.

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post

Wrong thread. Maybe you should create a new one called 'TopChuckie's reflections on his beloved Yankees'. I know I'm waiting with bated breath.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

We had a stretch in Boston where the negative drama had subsided. It's in full effect now. Bobby is a lightning rod, good or bad.
                          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Wrong thread. Maybe you should create a new one called 'TopChuckie's reflections on his beloved Yankees'. I know I'm waiting with bated breath.
                            I didn't bring up the Yankees in this thread, I was simply replying to one, but thanks for your valuable post as well.

Comment

Bobby V is a fine manager, and makes and excellent cheeseburger.

Comment

Working...
                              X