2k12: Leonys Martin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k12: Leonys Martin

Martin doesn't have a starting job right now, but the Rangers have a lot of moving parts and I can see a lot of scenarios where he could get 300 ABs. The question is, would he be able to do anything with them?

OF: Hamilton/Cruz/Murphy
    DH: Young
    1B: Moreland

Yes, Napoli gets some time at DH/1B, but Moreland could suck, Young could spend some time at 1B/2B/3B if needed, Murphy isn't good against lefties, and Hamilton/Cruz aren't really impersonating Cal Ripken with their durability. Plus, none of those guys are really center fielders and Martin might be.

Of course, Martin hit .263/.316/.314 last year at AAA so he's not exactly breaking down the door. He can run, but he doesn't have a ton of power. In fact I'm not sure if he has any. He has a classic 4th OF profile, but his glove might get him some PT given the Rangers' other options.

I have no idea what to expect but how about something like 300 AB, .275-3-25-40r-11sb?

His is an interesting projection. Outside of catchers, ANY injury in the Texas lineup could lead to significant playing time. I just took him in the mock, I can see 20+ SB's from him, not sure about the AVG/OBP at this point though.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
      His is an interesting projection. Outside of catchers, ANY injury in the Texas lineup could lead to significant playing time. I just took him in the mock, I can see 20+ SB's from him, not sure about the AVG/OBP at this point though.
      Even an injury to Torrealba would probably get him more PT, as Napoli would be spending more time behind the plate. What are the Rangers' other options for OF/1B/DH? MLB Depth Charts lists Julio Borbon along with Martin. Those actually seem like similar players though I like Martin's upside more. Craig Gentry isn't going to suddenly turn into an everyday player and Engel Beltre seems like a lost cause.

I liked the pick because I think Martin will get PT, but I don't think there's a path for him to get 500+ ABs without a major improvement or several catastrophes befalling the Rangers' lineup all at once.

Comment

I was considering keeping him, until I aquired Trout in a blockbuster deal. He seems certain to play 120 games and likely toget 500 PA, unless that time goes to Borbon. I would like to know what to expect from Borbon.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The Rangers are going to do everything they can to keep Hamilton out of center. Unless either Martin or Borbon (presently hurt) wow them, Craig Gentry is the everyday center fielder.
          Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Of course, Martin hit .263/.316/.314 last year at AAA so he's not exactly breaking down the door. He can run, but he doesn't have a ton of power. In fact I'm not sure if he has any. He has a classic 4th OF profile, but his glove might get him some PT given the Rangers' other options.
            Martin is the CF of the future in Texas, the only question is when. He played in three minor league levels last year, hitting .295/.362/.421 with 19 SBs in 302 at-bats. He has a high ceiling as an everyday CF and leadoff man and will, no doubt, get a serious look this Spring (although he may still be a 1/2 year away). With the other CF options (outside of Hamilton) being Borbon and Gentry, I wouldn't count the kid out and his SB potential alone makes him an intriguing pick (especially with the bats hitting behind him).
            Last edited by Ryno84MVP; 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Yesterday Wash said Martin will start the season in AAA. He loves Gentry, who will be serviceable but unspectacular in CF. I think Borbon had fallen out of favor in the organization due to his poor defense in the spring and inability to do the little things that Wash asks of him. I would not be surprised to see him traded at some point. Gentry will be the opening day CF with Murphy as the 4th OF getting significant playing time. I could see an injury paving the way to Martin getting ABs.

Comment

Texas manager Ron Washington re-iterated that he'd like center field to be an open competition between Gentry, Julio Borbon and Leonys Martin this spring, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
                That quote is like five days old.

Gentry has solid (but still slightly below average) walk rates. He is a solid (not amazing contact hitter) with a rate around 80-85 percent in the minors. He has no homerun power worth speaking of. He has base stealing speed and with a couple of exceptions in the low minors he usually has a good rate of success. He can probably hit around .270 and steal 30-40 bases if he was to play almost everyday.

Comment

on Texasrangers.com Washington indicated he would like Martin to stay at AAA all season.

Comment

Originally posted by j_roz View Post
                    on Texasrangers.com Washington indicated he would like Martin to stay at AAA all season.
                    of course he would, but I would also say that could be translated as' he would like to not need Martin', i.e. everyone stays healthy.
                    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Gentry just went down hard. Looked like a wrist injury.

Comment

Working...
                      X