So I am in my local grocery store...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I am in my local grocery store...

I glance at the magazine rack and what do I see? The first Fantasy Mag of the year!

I actually thought it might be left over from last year. Nope! Lindy's Sports Fantasy Baseball 2012.

I balked at the price of $7.99. Then again it is the first ragmag of the year! Yep I bought it.

It looks like they upgraded the paper stock. Glossy pages not newspaper.

Now Lindy's is not my favorite, in fact it may be my least favorite. Given choices I might not buy it. Coming out first I really could not help myself. Pretty good marketing strategy. From the little I have read, it seems that they may have upped their game a bit as well.

Sweet. I would never use them to draft, but I love reading the fantasy mags.

Comment

So does this make it the annual "magazines to hit the racks" thread? I am telling myself not to go to B&N unless I want to be one of those annoying people who stand there and read the magazines all day without buying them. I just can't bring myself to buy Lindy's.

Comment

Sporting News Fantasy Baseball Mag is out as well.... A leaguemate just called me to say he picked it up. He saw Lindy's last week but would not buy it.
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
          Sporting News Fantasy Baseball Mag is out as well.... A leaguemate just called me to say he picked it up. He saw Lindy's last week but would not buy it.
          Ok, I might break down and get the SN. I always enjoyed buying that one anyway. Of course you could just be trying to get me into the store to look at that damn Lindys.

Comment

Originally posted by roadtrip68 View Post
            Ok, I might break down and get the SN. I always enjoyed buying that one anyway. Of course you could just be trying to get me into the store to look at that damn Lindys.
            Probably right. But you just read it for the articles, right?

Comment

Shoot, anything that comes out In January I'll read every damn word in it. Even the stuff on the American League.

Comment

Originally posted by roadtrip68 View Post
                Shoot, anything that comes out In January I'll read every damn word in it. Even the stuff on the American League.
                Couldn't have put it better myself!! Especially your point about the AL!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                  I like Sporting News. I have to go to my annual salesmeeting on Tuesday. It would be nice to have this for the flight. Unless of course I happen to pass by a B&N today.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
                    Sweet. I would never use them to draft, but I love reading the fantasy mags.
                    I love them too. I have been known to take a peak inside on the drive home.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I like Sporting News. I have to go to my annual salesmeeting on Tuesday. It would be nice to have this for the flight. Unless of course I happen to pass by a B&N today.
                      I wish flights would allow you to select seating by interest.

"There is a an open seat next to a passenger who likes to discuss fantasy baseball and beer, would you like to select that seat?"

Yes.

I always end up next to boring people who I wish were into sports. I did get to sit next to Jim Koch, the brewmaster of Samuel Adams beer once and that was the greatest flight ever.

Agree on the mags. Though I AM the guy pilfering mags at B&N and sitting over in the cafe drinking coffee and reading every detail.
                      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Picked up the Rotoworld/Beckett magazine today at Wal-Mart.

So far i have seen these on the shelves:
                        Sporting News
                        Lindy's
                        USAToday
                        Rotoworld/Beckett
                        MLB

Also spotted this one on ebay:
                        Major League Baseball Yearbook & Fantasy Guide (Harris Publications)
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

There's something about that first magazine to hit the rack.

In the olden days, before internet sites and the ubiquitous fantasy mags, we used to celebrate when Bill Mazeroski's Baseball annual. I've driven 50 miles one way just to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            In the olden days, before internet sites and the ubiquitous fantasy mags, we used to celebrate when Bill Mazeroski's Baseball annual. I've driven 50 miles one way just to find one.
                            maybe not 50 miles, but I went way out of my way back then too ... I knew the first store in Toronto that would get Maz's in, a couple of weeks before anywhere else.
                            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I had a tough time finding Sporting News, which I prefer because of how the player capsules are organized. Finally found one yesterday at a Barnes & Noble near my in-laws, and they had exactly one copy that was stuffed way behind other mags.
                              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                              X