12-team mixed keeper options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-team mixed keeper options

5x5 with OBP & Slug instead of BA & HR, can keep 10.

B players I can either keep for next year at same price or sign to extension at +$5/yr.

My top 6 but open to other ideas
    Konerko 3B (extend for 1 year?)
    A Gordon 7A
    Hardy 4A
    Willingham 5A
    Shields 5A
    Haren 22A
    ~~~~~~
    All at good prices but status/worth up in the air
    D Gordon 5A
    K Johnson 1B
    Kuroda 1B
    Stauffer 1A
    Farnsworth 1A
    Madson 5A
    ~~~~~~
    Mostly at value but safe production
    V Martinez 19A
    B Upton 20A
    McCuthchen 30A
    M Cabrera 55A
    Pujols 59A
    Halladay 38A

TIA
    Last edited by DMT; 12-27-2011, 02:45 AM.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

If I had to turn it in today and it was my team I would keep the top 6 giving Konerko a year (increases trade value if needed).

I would keep Farnsworth and Madson from you second tier.

I keep Halladay and Upton from the at value list.

If I didn't have to turn it in today I would be trading like crazy.

Nice list. Good luck.

Comment

OBP and SLG, I extend Konerko for two years - and I'm typically a one-year extend or nothing guy. I'd keep Halladay in an instant at 38. I'm with Gregg in keeping Farny and Madson for 6 bucks total, and your top six.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        If I had to turn it in today and it was my team I would keep the top 6 giving Konerko a year (increases trade value if needed).

I would keep Farnsworth and Madson from you second tier.

I keep Halladay and Upton from the at value list.

If I didn't have to turn it in today I would be trading like crazy.

Nice list. Good luck.
        I agree with all of this, except I'd prefer McCutchen over BJ Upton, even at $10 and at that price. I like him that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          I agree with all of this, except I'd prefer McCutchen over BJ Upton, even at $10 and at that price. I like him that much.
          My original message had 7 in the top tier because I too am high on McCutchen but was curious if others felt the same. If I keep him and Halladay along with the two closers (assuming they both have closing jobs come March 1st) that is a pretty pricey keeper list, but tons of talent no doubt.

Halladay is obviously a complete stud but I'm surprised there is consensus on keeping him at 38 since none of the pricing systems say that he earned that in 2011. Also, I rarely pay over $30 for Ps (Haren @ 22 was my most expensive P last year). This is still good to know b/c I might try shopping Halladay along with another guy to upgrade.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
            Halladay is obviously a complete stud but I'm surprised there is consensus on keeping him at 38 since none of the pricing systems say that he earned that in 2011. Also, I rarely pay over $30 for Ps (Haren @ 22 was my most expensive P last year). This is still good to know b/c I might try shopping Halladay along with another guy to upgrade.
            In a 12-team mixed, I'm very much of the opinion to get a couple of strong top-tier pitchers and then buy cheap and smart the rest of the way. You have a great start with Halladay, Haren and Shields.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Bumping this after a few of the players I was considering have signed or been traded. I think Kuroda moving to the Yankees makes him a definite keeper at a buck (but no extension given his age) and Madson signing in Cincy secures his spot as well. Konerko's value took a hit with Quentin departing but I still plan to extend him 1 year. My least confident pick at this point is probably Willingham since he's not only coming off his best year but moving to a pitcher's park. Kelly Johnson is another guy who could easily bounce back but he's currently slotted into the 9-hole so that will hurt his counting stats.

After thinking it over, I like the idea of holding onto Halladay; I will be keeping 6 pitchers for $72 and I plan to get 3 $1 pitchers to complete my staff (2 SPs, 1 RP).

Thoughts (10 max)?

Konerko 8 (O13)
              A Gordon 7A
              Hardy 4A
              Willingham 5A
              Halladay 38A
              Haren 22A
              Shields 5A
              Kuroda 1B
              Madson 5A
              Farnsworth 1A
              ~~~~~~
              All at good prices but status/worth up in the air
              D Gordon 5A
              K Johnson 1B
              Stauffer 1A
              ~~~~~~
              Mostly at value but safe production
              B Upton 20A
              McCuthchen 30A
              M Cabrera 55A
              Pujols 59A
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Bumping this again with a couple more questions. Based on the mocks I've been looking at (e.g., the experts mock MJ posted today), it seems D Gordon is going higher significantly higher than Willingham. His upside is obviously higher with those wheels but his contact rate is scary. Even K Johnson seems like the preferred pick over Willingham. I don't like the idea of tying all of my MI spots up before the auction so I doubt I would keep Hardy, Johnson and Gordon, even if that is great value for $10 total. Another thing I've noticed is that all of them are going a lot higher than Kuroda and Farnsworth. I don't like spending much on closers so having Farny for a buck is nice, but at the same time, there is the opportunity cost of keeping him over another player.

I've also been approached by another owner for Kelly Johnson. I offered him KJ and Stauffer-1A for Bumgarner-5B. So, here are specific questions.

1. D Gordon-5A vs. K Johnson-1B
                2. Yes/no on Bumgarner-5B for Johnson/Stauffer trade
                3. If yes to trade, does that remove Halladay or Haren from my list?
                4. If yes to trade, Gordon-5A vs. Willingham-5A vs. Kuroda-1B (perhaps I'm overvaluing Kuroda as I think he's going way too low right now, why can't he win 18 for the Yanks?)

If I made the trade, I'd be looking at the following list of 13 for 10 spots:

Konerko 8 (O13)
                A Gordon 7A
                Hardy 4A
                D Gordon 5A
                McCutchen 30A
                Willingham 5A
                Halladay 38A
                Haren 22A
                Shields 5A
                Bumgarner 5B
                Kuroda 1B
                Madson 5A
                Farnsworth 1A
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Good point about Konerko. Not only is he getting up there but he is going to have almost no protection in that lineup if Dunn doesn't return to form. I'm probably about 50/50 on extending him.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Konerko 8 (O13)
                    A Gordon 7A
                    Hardy 4A
                    McCutchen 30A
                    Halladay 38A
                    Haren 22A
                    Shields 5A
                    Bumgarner 5B
                    Kuroda 1B
                    Madson 5A
                    Farnsworth 1A

I would keep the ones not in bold and it would be tough for me to choose 2 out of Halladay, Hardy and Gordon... I guess I would keep Halladay and flip a coin between Hardy and Gordon.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                      First, Gordon gets a big ol bump down in any league that has SLG. I think he can be a legit hitter for average but he might not even eclipse the .350 mark in SLG.
                      Curious about your thinking on this one, how is it any different than getting a 0 or 1 in HRs?
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

I am still giving Konerko a one year bump. If you don't you limit your trade value.

Comment

So, the Bumgarner owner backed out. Dee Gordon is going to be leading off meaning he could steal 60, and Kelly Johnson is going to be hitting in front of Joey Bats. I don't see how I can toss him back since he'll have a very good chance to score 100 runs (his OB% was .363 with Toronto). So that would give me:

Konerko 3B or 8 if I extend another year (leaning no)
                          K Johnson 1B
                          Hardy 4A
                          D Gordon 5A
                          A Gordon 7A
                          Haren 22A
                          Shields 5A
                          Kuroda 1B
                          Madson 5A
                          Farnsworth 1A

I will be locking up all 3 MI spots which I really don't like doing, but this will allow me to go big at 3B, CI, and OF spots. I've never spent more than $25 on a pitcher in the auction so keeping Halladay at 38 just isn't my style. Pretty sure I can get McCutchen back for $30
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Here are a few trades I'm mulling over:

Kuroda-1B for Axford-6A
                            Farnsworth-1A for Wieters-8A (only a 1 C league but still seems like a good deal)
                            K Johnson-1B for CJ Wilson-8A

The only negative to these 3 deals is I'm adding $19 in salary and possibly cutting down my profit margin. But these are 3 deals I should do right?
                            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Here are a few trades I'm mulling over:

Kuroda-1B for Axford-6A
                              Farnsworth-1A for Wieters-8A (only a 1 C league but still seems like a good deal)
                              K Johnson-1B for CJ Wilson-8A

The only negative to these 3 deals is I'm adding $19 in salary and possibly cutting down my profit margin. But these are 3 deals I should do right?
                              I'd do 1 and 3 for sure. I'm not sold on trading Farnsy for Weiters. I think I'd rather have a $1 closer and the 12th best catcher.

Comment

Working...
                              X