ESPN: Ryan Braun Failed PED Test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
    seriously, there haven't been too many guys in the exact situation braun is in, so i don't think there's enough to data to conclude that america assumes black ballplayers are guilty and white ballplayers are innocent.
    Besides Barry Bonds & Gary Sheffield, which black baseball players have been "assumed by America" to be PED users? Wasn't it always the white guys were the assumed PED users well before they were directly implicated -- Caminiti, Dykstra, Canseco, Brady Anderson, McGwire, Bret Boone, Giambi, Piazza, etc.?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
      Why not, we do in most every other situation? Baseball is part of society and reflective of not only its glories but its shames.
      we've come a long way since 1964. i think most of us are over the knee jerk "white guys are good, black guys are bad" stuff. if some fan favorite who happens to be black gets treated differently than braun in the same situation, i will reconsider.
      ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• I thought I read an analysis somewhere that pegged Dominican players as the #1 group to get busted for steroids/hgh/peds
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
          Do you realize how annoying it is that you say the same thing in every post. Why don't you put the cheaters thing in your signature and converse about other things?
          I am tired of non-complying to the rules, mega-millionaires using their 10 year, $150 million dollar contracts to hire p.r. firms to muddy the waters when they have been caught...though some of the mob seem to eat up what they are shovling.

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
            I am tired of non-complying to the rules, mega-millionaires using their 10 year, $150 million dollar contracts to hire p.r. firms to muddy the waters when they have been caught...though simpletons seem to eat up what they are saying.
            stop taking it easy on the white guy, willya?!

~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
              I am tired of non-complying to the rules, mega-millionaires using their 10 year, $150 million dollar contracts to hire p.r. firms to muddy the waters when they have been caught...though some of the mob seem to eat up what they are shovling.
              Now you are just spout off nonsense for the sake of replying to a post. How much did Ryan Braun make last year? Take a guess. Here you go.

2009: $745,000.
              2010: $1 million.
              2011: $4 million.

Yeah, he's a mega millionaire.

Furthermore, we have so little of the facts that it's impossible to know what is going on. But whatever, you are getting unbelievably tiresome, I'll just ignore you from now on.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Not that I hope that Ken Griffey was a juicer, but I think we might see one of the all-time great conniptions from *someone* around here if it was ever proven he was
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

::cough:: ::cough::he's white ::cough:: ::cough::
                  This is for real? This is where your thoughts are? When you typed this, I thought it was a bad joke, saddens me that people on this board have this mindset. When I typed:

Would be helpful in elevating the general level of conversation if we could accept that mobspeak is worth naught. Leaks are underhanded agenda driven and imperfect, and should be disregarded. We actually know nothing at this time. When we have facts, then the judgement from the holier than thous have some weight, be it pious, pompous, profoundly annoying and lacking in love of the game, but at least at that point it would be based in truth.

People read that and see racial crap? Seriously, on this board, in this day and age? Sigh.

Comment

• One, my statement had nothing to do with yours but rather ElD's. Two, damned right I'm serious and to deny that people view issues through a racial prism is beyond naive and ranging into far more pejorative words.

BTW, guys, this whole "black v. white" thing would make a lot more sense if you viewed it as "white people tend to group non-white people into a single "minority" group". Add in the Latino players and yeah, there's a hell of a lot more supposition and belief of cheating there, imo.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                      seriously, there haven't been too many guys in the exact situation braun is in, so i don't think there's enough to data to conclude that america assumes black ballplayers are guilty and white ballplayers are innocent.
                      Seriously, this is such a ridiculous argument and it is basically accusing all of us who haven't yet condemned Braun into the same mindset and it's offensive. I don't think anyone on this board has said Braun should be treated better than any of the other cheaters IF/WHEN he is actually found guilty. Why does that transform, in some people's warped minds, into "you guys are going easy on him because he's white?" DUMB
                      Last edited by DMT; 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Seriously, this is such a ridiculous argument and it is basically accusing all of us who haven't yet condemned Braun into the same mindset and it's offensive. I don't think anyone on this board has said Braun should be treated better than any of the other cheaters IF/WHEN he is actually found guilty. Why does that transform, in some people's warped minds, into "you guys are going easy on him because he's white?" DUMB
                        No kidding! Point is the info was leaked and Braun's (supposed) confidential appeal hasn't finished. When that happens and if he is denied the appeal he should be lumped with the others. That has NOTHING to do with black or white. Allegedly (from early in this thread) J-Roll won his confidential appeal and his possible PED usage was never reported to the public. I guess to some of you who play the race card when it isn't warranted, he was given the "preferential treatment" because he has a white double play partner?

Comment

• Oh dear lord, read carefully: people frequently assume that people who don't look like them are guilty and that those who do look like them should get the benefit of the doubt. That's not an opinion, it is tested, retested and proven beyond any doubt to be true. Should you choose not to believe it despite the mountains of research and testing behind it it, well heck it's the holiday season-- believe whatever you want even if it is wrong

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            "Play the race card". Durr da durr! Stupidest, most meaningless phrase ever.
                            Not nearly as stupid as playing it in this instance. If Braun were black (or hispanic) and going through the same thing right now, these same folks would probably contend that the REASON FOR THE LEAK was his skin color. Bottomline, race really has nothing to do with Braun's perceived preferential treatment, it's all about due process. Assuming those who prefer to wait until the process is complete, before jumping to an opinion, are doing so for racial reasons, is extremely bigoted.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannahann View Post
                              N Assuming those who prefer to wait until the process is complete before jumping to an opinion are doing so for racial reasons is extremely bigoted.
                              If one assumed that everyone who was giving Braun the benefit of the doubt was doing it solely out of racial preference you'd be much less wrong than you currently are. The fact is that nobody said that, though. The fact is, however, that racial preference is an undeniable component of the overall situational view. To argue against that is to argue the sky isn't blue.

Comment

If one assumed that everyone who was giving Braun the benefit of the doubt was doing it solely out of racial preference you'd be much less wrong than you currently are. The fact is that nobody said that, though. The fact is, however, that racial preference is an undeniable component of the overall situational view. To argue against that is to argue the sky isn't blue.
                                Personally I don't accept that as an undeniable fact. Just for grins, HOW BIG A COMPONENT do you think it is? 1%, 5%, more?? It's raining so the sky is grey, but it's not 1964 as was pointed out earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X