Buehrle to Marlins: 4 Years, $58m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buehrle to Marlins: 4 Years, $58m

I know it's in the Off-season transaction thread, but this deserves its own thread.

The Marlins are spending like a drunken sailor!

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    That said, what does he go for in an NL only league this year?
    I'd put him in the same league as a Derek Lowe back a few years ago when Lowe was useful. If not for inflation, then high single digits but in most leagues where inflation exists I can see him more like $12.

Comment

I don't like this signing for the Marlins. Sure, they have deeper pockets now, but they aren't unlimited, and nearly $15 million a year for 4 years for a durable inning eater #3/#4 starter is a steep price for a team with as many needs as the Marlins.

Comment

Big bucks, but the dude is the epitome of durability. He's NEVER pitched less than 200 IP in a season and has a nice 3.83 career ERA to go with all those innings.

That said, what does he go for in an NL only league this year?
        4x4, I'd say mid-teens. 5x5, his value drops a lot - probably 10-12.

That being said, I'm not sure how the new Marlins park will play, but I doubt it'll be as much as a homerdome than the ChiSox park.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Big bucks, but the dude is the epitome of durability. He's NEVER pitched less than 200 IP in a season and has a nice 3.83 career ERA to go with all those innings.
          I remember saying that about some guy named Brandon Webb 2 years ago...
          I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
          You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
          "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
          It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

It feels like a bit of an overpay, but at least the Marlins aren't paying $84 million for the likes of AJ Burnett or John Lackey. Buehrle is super sturdy, and while I don't think he'll net Florida a positive return on the deal overall, I don't think he's a bad investment. I hope the Marlins don't end up with only Bell, Buehrle, and Reyes, though. They would've been much better off if they had managed to get CJ Wilson instead of Bell. And while I guess they're hoping they end up with both, I doubt that happens.

Congratulations to any Marlins fans out there, by the way. I'm not sure if you all actually exist, but for those that do, what a helluva thrill ride this off-season must be.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              Congratulations to any Marlins fans out there, by the way. I'm not sure if you all actually exist, but for those that do, what a helluva thrill ride this off-season must be.
              We have not gone the way of the dodo just yet. And I think there is more to come for this team in the FA market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                It feels like a bit of an overpay, but at least the Marlins aren't paying $84 million for the likes of AJ Burnett or John Lackey. Buehrle is super sturdy, and while I don't think he'll net Florida a positive return on the deal overall, I don't think he's a bad investment. I hope the Marlins don't end up with only Bell, Buehrle, and Reyes, though. They would've been much better off if they had managed to get CJ Wilson instead of Bell. And while I guess they're hoping they end up with both, I doubt that happens.

Interesting that you bring up Lackey, who was pretty consistent before signing with the Red Sox. Considering Buehrle recently had a pretty mediocre year as recently as 2010, I'd think that he's a guy that the Marlins will be regretting signing by end of that contract.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                  Interesting that you bring up Lackey, who was pretty consistent before signing with the Red Sox. Considering Buehrle recently had a pretty mediocre year as recently as 2010, I'd think that he's a guy that the Marlins will be regretting signing by end of that contract.
                  Lackey had two injury-plagued seasons in a row before he signed his free agent deal. It was obvious the wheels were already falling off (and I said so in various posts over on the prior RJ board at the time). His deal with the Red Sox was an enigma from the get-go.

Comment

Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                    I was thinking something similar. Hard to really dislike the signing, but four years seems a bit too much with a likelihood of at least 25% of this contract being a bad thing. Then again, as Bodz said, it's not $80m+ for AJ or Lackey.
                    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Also backloaded, like the Reyes deal.

Ken_Rosenthal
                      Buerhle with #Marlins: $6M in 12, 11M in 13, 18M in 14 and 19M in 15. Deal also includes 4M signing bonus, deferred without interest. #MLB
                      More fodder for the eventual fire sale.
                      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                      X