The Mets' New Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mets' New Bullpen

Not exactly signing Pujols, Reyes, CJ Wilson... The Mets did flip Angel Pagan for Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez, signed Jon Rauch (1 yr), and signed Frank Francisco (2 yrs).

So the new look bullpen has:
    Francisco
    Rauch
    Ramirez

(in addition to the usual suspects... some of them more "suspect" than others).

So, fellow Mets fans (and others), what's your reaction? Seems like a good bullpen on a shoestring budget. But again the question: WHY are the Mets on a shoestring budget? (please don't answer that)

A hopefully decent bullpen (though they looked to have a decent bullpen a few years ago too when they brought in Putz et al. and that didn't quite work) for a team that, unless they get some amazing performances from somewhere unexpected, is at best going to be mediocre itself. I can't really argue with these moves, but there are just too many questions with the rotation and lineup for me to be overly excited by bullpen additions at this stage.

Comment

Deck chairs on the Titanic, unfortunately. With the Marlins arming, the Nats evolving and the Phillies being the Phillies with the Braves thrown in for good measure, we may not see a Met playoff team this decade and most certainly not for the next 3-4 years.
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Last place until the Wilpons sell to someone with the resources to do big-market spending. They are becoming the Orioles of the NL East.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

All in all it's not a bad one-day overhaul of the pen. Not sold on Francisco, although he did have a scintillating second half. Plus, he's kind of injury prone.

And I guess he works well with Rauch, and that Rauch is OK with Francisco being the guy. Rauch also does have closing experience, so if Francisco goes down, at least he can take over with few worries.

Ramon Ramirez has been very good over the last three seasons, so he should be the 7th inning guy.

So where does that leave Parnell? I guess they could trade Parnell, but are still enamored with his 100 mph fastball. But clearly he ain't closing here. The rest of the pen (Beato, Acosta, Carrasco) is solid enough.

Overall, it's hard not to dislike the staff as a whole, as long as Santana comes back healthy. Pelfrey has to go, but they'll probably keep him around again. And they do have Wheeler, Harvey & Mejia on the horizon, so at least there's that to look forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            Deck chairs on the Titanic, unfortunately. With the Marlins arming, the Nats evolving and the Phillies being the Phillies with the Braves thrown in for good measure, we may not see a Met playoff team this decade and most certainly not for the next 3-4 years.
            I don't disagree with your "deck chairs on the titanic" assessment, Bob. Though your point about not seeing the playoffs this decade seems unduly pessimistic (even given your bias toward the boys in pinstripes). It's only 2011... lots of years left, plenty of bad contracts to come off the books, and some talent (some) on the farm. 3-4 years doesn't sound wrong. Perhaps "this decade" was hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
              Last place until the Wilpons sell to someone with the resources to do big-market spending. They are becoming the Orioles of the NL East.
              Agree on point one; disagree about the Orioles. The Mets at least KNOW they're not contending and are moving to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                Overall, it's hard not to dislike the staff as a whole, as long as Santana comes back healthy. Pelfrey has to go, but they'll probably keep him around again. And they do have Wheeler, Harvey & Mejia on the horizon, so at least there's that to look forward to.
                Revo, I hope they trade Parnell. Might have some actual trade value. Mejia is likely a bullpen candidate, and he should be moved as well (i.e. traded) if they can get a hitter with upside or another guy who actually can start. Harvey and Wheeler have real promise, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  I don't disagree with your "deck chairs on the titanic" assessment, Bob. Though your point about not seeing the playoffs this decade seems unduly pessimistic (even given your bias toward the boys in pinstripes). It's only 2011... lots of years left, plenty of bad contracts to come off the books, and some talent (some) on the farm. 3-4 years doesn't sound wrong. Perhaps "this decade" was hyperbole.
                  Really has nothing to do with the Yanks, Sharky. The problem is the way the division is stacking up-- you have a prohibitive favorite for the league champion in the Phils for the next three years, at least. The Braves are always hanging around developing new talent, something which the Mets are just atrocious at. The Marlins are seriously stocking up even without Pujols. The Nats may be the best of all of them if Harper and Rendon pan out and they have an enormous amount of money at the fingertips of the Lerners who will eventually get better at spending it. And then... there are the Mets. Wilpon is in the worst of all possible states-- not enough money to run the team as it should be run, but not so broke as to absolutely have to sell it. The farm system is nothing special and as stated hasn't been much of a source of talent for the Mets in several years, anyway. As the Mets lose ticket sales with the bad teams they're likely to field for the next two years what are the chances of them suddenly rebounding, financially or baseball wise, in the third, fourth or even sixth year of that cycle?

In a division that is so full of talent and money, yeah, I think that there is a very real prospect of the NL East starting to act a lot like the AL East with a hammer lock on the division title and wildcards by three or four teams and the Mets playing the role of the Orioles. Sorry, but that's my objective take on it. Could be wrong, could be right.
                  "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                  X