Ron Santo - finally a HOFer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    So who is now the best player not in the HoF?

J
    Shoeless Joe Jackson
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Shoeless Joe Jackson
      Scooped.

If you go that route, Joe Jackson. I should have said eligible player.

I would have thought Whitaker before Trammell or Grich.

J
      Whitaker won a GG and Frank White won the other nine. Watching them play, I always thought Whitaker was better than Trammel.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Santo is no a HOF'er..not really close. Outside of his fans why would anyone think he deserves the HOF?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Santo is no a HOF'er..not really close. Outside of his fans why would anyone think he deserves the HOF?
          Anyone who looks closely will see it.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

If you can name 10 3B with a better prime (10 years) than Santo, I'll concede that point, Mith.
            If you can't.....

Schmidt was better.
            And Mathews, Brett, Boggs, probably Home Run Baker.
            Hall of Merit had Negro Leaguer Jud Wilson barely nosing him out.
            Molitor and Dick Allen, not quite, we said, but it's a fair debate (keeping in mind their stints at less valuable position and their lesser defense when they did play 3B).
            Brooks Robinson was an even better fielder than Santo, but he rarely was a top hitter.
            Jimmy Collins was a top 3B 100 years ago.

Do you think fewer than 10 3B should be in the Hall of Fame?

"Watching them play, I always thought Whitaker was better than Trammel."

Look closer. Stellar SS vs less-stellar 2B, per fielding.
            Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-06-2011, 09:56 AM.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Do you think fewer than 10 3B should be in the Hall of Fame?
              While I agree that Santo belongs, that is a garbage question. I wasn't aware that we were running an affirmative action plan for underrepresented positions in the Hall rather than simply basing it on (and here's a loaded word...) merit.
              Last edited by Bob Kohm; 12-06-2011, 10:17 AM.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Anyone who looks closely will see it.

J
                I did look closely and don't see it. Please tell me what makes him HOF worthy?

I didn't get to see him play so maybe that might make a difference, but looking at his stats he doesn't look that great.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I beg to differ about Trammel being a better glove than Whitaker, though I will admit LW's defense full off from his mid 1980s high point. Still 3 GG is 3 GG. And Whitaker played his early career in the same league as the best defensive 2B ever. Ozzie was in the other league, so the comparisons to Trammell are not as quick.

All that being said, Whitaker, Trammell, Larkin, and Grich are all 50/50 kind of guys. None of them screams injustice like Santo did.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    I did look closely and don't see it. Please tell me what makes him HOF worthy?

I didn't get to see him play so maybe that might make a difference, but looking at his stats he doesn't look that great.
                    If you check the dates, you will see that he played his career in the worst offensive period of the last 90 years. That has a big bearing on the stats. You have to go pre Black Sox to fin worse. Glovewise, he was a SS playing 3B, attested by 5 GG. He was the premier hitting 3B of his day, though it was before Silver Slugger. Suffice to say that SABR people have been agitating for decades to get him inducted.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Santo averaged 161 games per season from 1961-69, then 154 games in 1970-71. That's just one subtle plus - he not only was very good, he was there every night (or in his case, day).

A 5-time Gold Glove winner after having to wait a number of years for Ken Boyer - another of the all-time great fielders at 3B - to get old.
                      At his peak - 1964-67 - he finishes 2nd, 5th, 4th and 7th in OPS+. Think about that: you have an outstanding fielder at a key position who never misses a game (we'll ignore the fact that he had diabetes and played 81 home day games), and is one of the best hitters in the league.

In 1964, Willie Mays leads the league in OPS+. Also in the top 10 are HOFers FRobinson, Aaron, Cepeda, BWilliams and Clemente (and Torre, who arguably belongs there as a player alone). He kept battling a similar crew each year.

Santo's prime? From 1963-72, he's 128 OPS+ or better 8 times (and none below 109). Durable, excellent fielder who outhits his 3B rivals as well.

He played 2,130 games at 3B (in only 15 years) - 8th most all-time, and he's 5th in assists.

125 career OPS+
                      127s include Bill Dickey and Rickey Henderson (and Youkilis)
                      126s include Johnny Bench and Wee Willie Keeler
                      125s include Yogi Berra (and Bernie Williams)
                      124s include Bonilla, Puckett, Sisler

Tough to find any 3Bs in this range. There's Bill Madlock at 123, but in almost 3 seasons fewer games
                      (Rolen is a 123 in 300 fewer games, but at this pt the closer he gets in games, the more likely the rate slides with it. And Rolen is VERY underrated).

The Hall of Merit folks are going year by year to rate the best players in baseball; they started this summer with 1961 and are going forward.
                      Santo was voted the 3rd best player in all of baseball in 1964. And 4th in 1965, and 6th in 1966. I'll think he'll get 2nd (behind unanimous choice Yaz) when we finish the 1967 voting this month (yes, it's kind of a slow process).
                      Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-06-2011, 08:53 PM.
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                        While I agree that Santo belongs, that is a garbage question. I wasn't aware that we were running an affirmative action plan for underrepresented positions in the Hall rather than simply basing it on (and here's a loaded word...) merit.
                        Hey, Moonlight - someone stole Kohm's user ID and password, because he can't have said something I completely agree with.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The pizza thread is a good place to check if you want to disagree with him.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                          X