No announcement yet.

NY Mets 2K12: Does Anyone Really Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Mets 2K12: Does Anyone Really Care?

The Wilpons won a judgment in the Madoff case, so perhaps they won't be bankrupted after all.

The fleeting romance with David Einhorn -- Einhorn is a man!! -- was over once word got out that the team could part with 1/3rd ownership for ugots. I'm not sure if they've given up on a co-owner search.

That said, the Mets are still slated to shave off up to $40m on their payroll, to perhaps as low as $85m. That's pretty disheartening for Met fans, but maybe the juggernaut front office could save it.

The Mets will make a (half-hearted) attempt to save Jose Reyes, but most expect him to bolt. There's been rumblings of moving David Wright for a bunch of chips, but he would be the only star-power left.

They found some nuggets last year in David Murphy, Lucas Duda & Dillon Gee, and RA Dickey continued to be very effective. Justin Turner, Pedro Beato, Izzy and Chris Young all proved to be cheap but effective fillers.

Johan Santana should be 100% after missing the entire year, but you should never use "Mets" + "100%" in the same sentence. Ike Davis is another whose seemingly minor injury turned major and missed all but April. Murphy was having a bustout year when he blew out his knee, but he's proved he's a competent Major league bat.

Jason Bay had another dismal year, but with the Mets expected to move in the fences at Citi, maybe he won't hate coming to work any longer.

Duda is expected to take over RF, but don't be surprised if they move Angel Pagan for an arm.

The Mets rotation is somewhat set with Santana, Niese, Dickey, Capuano and Gee, and potentially the confounding Big Pelf. I also wouldn't be shocked to see Pelf moved, but they still love his "big arm." Farmhands Zach Wheeler and Brad Harvey await, and perhaps one if not both will be mid-year callups.

I've heard rumblings of NY native Joe Nathan wanting the closer job, and I'm sure the Mets could land him on a 1-year deal. It's clear Bobby Parnell isn't up to the task. The rest of the pen was solid if very unspectacular.

Losing Reyes will hurt, and the rest of the team has very little firepower. Some decent bats, some decent arms, but there's no MVPs or Cy Youngs in this group. The rebuilding process continues, but so should the overall mediocrity, so expect another year where just getting to .500 is the goal.

Why do the Mets hate Pagan? He missed 30 games and still had an ok season. I also thought he played some decent defense.

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
      Why do the Mets hate Pagan? He missed 30 games and still had an ok season. I also thought he played some decent defense.
      They feel (as do most Met fans) that he's regressed badly (from 108 OPS+ to 93), and despite missing time, he led all MLB CFers with 10 errors. He's arbitration eligible, so expect the Mets to non-tender him.

Comment

If the Marlins stop underachieving and Strasburg stays healthy, the Mets are the odds-on favorite to finish last in the division.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Nope don't care

Comment

I don't know any Mets want that wants to pay Pagan arb money. He's pretty clueless on the bases and sometimes in the field.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Gonna be a rough year at the ballpark that ain't Shea. I expect a lot of focus on fantasy, and not as much on reality. The worst part of it is the total lack of personality on the team. It's one thing to be a bland corporate entity when you're the Yankees juggernaut. It's another when you're anyone else. The Mets really ruined the fun when they made Reyes quit his antics. Yes, they got out of hand. But there was some fun in the game. David Wright, for all his clean cut wholesomeness, is just not that fun.

Bring back Bobby V!!!

Comment

Late season half-price tickets again!!!!!

(June may be late-season)
                Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  The Mets really ruined the fun when they made Reyes quit his antics.
                  Pulling yourself after a bunt single to secure a batting title qualifies as an "antic" to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Pulling yourself after a bunt single to secure a batting title qualifies as an "antic" to me.
                    Erik, if the Phillies were to sign Reyes, I suspect you would be an apologist for Reyes -- just as many Yankees fans were when Clemens was with the pinstripes. (not intended as an ad hominem attack)

Reyes is self-centered. You're right. But he also entertained. Most of MLB is sanitized and whitewashed these days. That's why people like Ron Washington. Might not be half the manager LaRussa was, but he was animated and showed emotion. my point is: we need more of that, not less. Leave the bean counting to the GM and staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      there's been plenty of quality major leaguers who decided a batting title was so important to them and their contract status that they pulled themselves, or sat out, the last game(s) of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        there's been plenty of quality major leaguers who decided a batting title was so important to them and their contract status that they pulled themselves, or sat out, the last game(s) of the year.
                        So that means we shouldn't criticize them for it? There have been plenty who haven't also. Give credit where credit is due, and criticism where criticism is due. Reyes had a right to do that, Erik has a right to have an opinion about it and criticize it, calling it an antic is hardly crucifying him for it.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                          Erik, if the Phillies were to sign Reyes, I suspect you would be an apologist for Reyes
                          I would root for him, but I wouldn't like his attitude any better.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            And it was an "antic" by them too.

Comment

We're off on a tangent here... My point was really that Reyes used to be FUN. Now he's just as dull as the rest -- and a punk too (with that batting title nonsense). The Mets need some more fun -- and a new ownership group!

Comment

Working...
                              X