Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade involving many studs. Should I do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade involving many studs. Should I do this?

12T mixed 7x7 roto keeper. (extra cats are H OPS x L HRA).

Our keeper system is complex, based upon contract years (CY) and the higher you finish the fewer you earn. I'm well out in front so I'll only earn 11 CY (the minimum possible), some bottom feeders might have as many as 17 to spend. 1CY buys 1 year kept. In short our keepers coming off expiring contracts become restricted FA (RFA). We have a mid winter email bid to redistribute these players, in which owning team can match. So you spend your CY to takeover other's studs and to protect your own during the RFA season. We spend any remaining CY to sign previously unsigned guys on our roster (ie drafted or picked up) just before we draft (like naming keepers in most leagues except we select how long to sign them). I realize it's complicated but it ensures a high level of round the calendar trading and year to year turnover in the standings. We also keep 2 free rookies. One more thing, poor contracts are binding. If you acquire someone with time left on their contract you can't get out of it unless you trade them away or they officially retire from MLB.

Here's the deal: I trade Justin Upton (RFA) Cliff Lee (RFA) and Kevin Youkilis (1CY meaning he's signed in 2012) for Carlos Gonzalez (1CY) Evan Longoria (1CY) and Kendry Morales (RFA).

My current roster:
    C-Santana free to sign (US) and plan to sign*
    1B-Butler (RFA)
    2B-Pedrioa(2CY)
    3B-Youkilis(1CY)
    SS-Tulo(4CY)
    OF1-Upton (RFA)
    OF2-Granderson (US)*
    OF3- Crawford (1CY)
    Util/B (start 2 U) - Alex Gordon (US)* Hill, Brantley, Byrd, Jay, Ian Desmond, Harper (rk) Giavotella (rk)
    DL Infante, Brett Anderson (RFA)

SP - Verlander (RFA), Lincecum (RFA), Lee (RFA), Pineda (rk), Liriano (RFA), Nolasco
    RP - Valverde, Farnsworth, Street, Aroldis (rk)

I'm currently obligated to pay 8 of my expected 11CY on the following carryover contracts: Tulo (4CY), Pedroia (2CY), Crawford and Youkilis (1CY each). Unless I catch a break in RFA and am able to match one of my RFA studs cheap enough (very unlikely) I plan to spend my remaining 3CY to sign Granderson Alex Gordon and Carlos Santana at 1CY each next spring. My rookies will likely be Harper and Pineda.

If I make the deal I'll have 9CY obligated instead of 8. Longo replaces the Youkilis CY and CarGo's CY would mean I cut either Gordon or Santana. I'm giving away Lee and wouldn't keep Kendry. I realize I'll be short keeper pitchers but we are a very active trading league. I was only able to protect Liriano and B Anderson going into 2011 but acquired Verly Lince Lee Nolasco and CJ through trades. Cj was just moved in the deal netting me Verly and J-Up last week hence no longer on my squad. The team I am trading to is near the bottom of the standings and no threat. No one really is this year I'm well ahead, and it's been too many years since the last title so it feels good.

I'm not 100% sure I love your staff without Lee. Pineda is headed for the wall. Liriano and Nolasco are always volatile. There's a slim chance that Farnsworth (trade) or Street (injury) could lose their jobs. So how big is your lead that you can trade 3 studs for 2 pretty good hitters? I would be hesitant to start building for next year while this one is still going on. If you call Youk and Longoria close to a wash, you're basically trading J-Up and Cliff Lee for 1 extra year of CarGo.

Comment

Working...
    X